Deviant

Evoc Tailgate Pad--Mini Review

Since most know what these things do I'm going to keep this simple and just post my first impressions having used it for the 1st time this morning.

Evoc Tailgate Pad--Mini Review-imag1666.jpg

Overall build quality is very good so I'll start off with the only real negatives...

1. The tailgate handle access flap provides easy access to the handle but is nowhere near my backup camera. I'm actually OK with this as the tires would obstruct the camera anyway so I'll give it a pass on this one. I only mention it because their marketing states camera access as a feature.

2. I'd suggest the designers of this thing Google "gravity" and study it. Gravity makes stuff fall down and prevents stuff from falling up. This is critical because the straps that wrap around the tailgate are affixed permanently to the exterior portion of the pad. This requires you to try and feed a 1 inch nylon strap UPHILL through the small gap between the truck box and tailgate. The simple act of affixing the straps to the interior portion of the mat would evoke the gravity gods and prevent me from calling you an idiot. Too late. If interior mounted they'd simply fall through the gap verses having to use medical forceps to pull them up through the gap. I don't know what they were thinking or whether they actually tested this product but this is so far beyond dumb its hard to be nice about it. Sorry but you're a dumbass and you earned it. As you can see this configuration requires you to feed the straps uphill...

Evoc Tailgate Pad--Mini Review-imag1673.jpg
    Evoc Tailgate Pad--Mini Review-imag1671.jpg

With that said, its not a deal killer and now that I have a trick to feed the straps it took all of 5 minutes. The outboard straps are fairly easy but the center strap is a PITA that requires you to crawl under the bumper. This design flaw was 100% avoidable.

The rest of the mat is stellar. The foam blocks with integrated straps keep everything snug and separated. I took the extra precaution of wrapping the downtubes with microfiber towels to prevent abrasion. The foam acts as a separator...not an insulator. Also included are several other attachment points for bungees to hold everything in place. As pictured...the bikes did not budge or wiggle at all.

There are slots for 6 bikes but realistically I think 4 would be max capacity if you care about your bikes finish. I chose the olive drab color as it was the closest match to my Terrain-colored Raptor. It turned out to be a good choice and the mat doesn't look too foreign or out of place.

Evoc Tailgate Pad--Mini Review-imag1668.jpg
    Evoc Tailgate Pad--Mini Review-imag1667.jpg

Overall I'm happy with it and the only real negatives are the strap locations. I have a friend that can sew heavy nylon so I may have him move the straps to the other side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    All tailgate pads are like that for the straps. That way, the buckle on the inside won't damage paint or bikes. Secondly, with the buckles on the inside and a lockable bed cover, it's harder to steal.

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    All tailgate pads are like that for the straps. That way, the buckle on the inside won't damage paint or bikes. Secondly, with the buckles on the inside and a lockable bed cover, it's harder to steal.
    Eh... the attachment points for the buckles could easily be placed an inch or two above the bottom Edge and the buckles would never come near the paint and the tires are the only thing that touch on the outside and they'd be nowhere near the buckles.

As for stealing one... 2 seconds with a pocket knife and maybe 10 bucks at a Marine Upholstery shop to install new straps and you got yourself a tailgate pad if you really want someone else's. In fact if the straps were reversed you can take it off in about 5 Seconds and lock it in your cab. Again it's not a deal killer for me but I still think it's pretty dumb

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk