mtbr member

DSG or six speed? Plus hitch rack Q

In a MK7 GTI. I've driven both. The DSG accelerates faster, but the six speed feels real fun.

Also, is anybody using a hitch rack on a GTI or Golf? I've got a T2 on a small SUV...and the rack + two bikes is a lot of weight on the back end of the car. I do plan on lowering it at some point too. 1st order of business is getting a tune for the engine.

I have a roof rack on my Jetta Wagon currently, but that straps to the rails on the roof. The GTI doesn't have a roof rails and clamps to the upper part of the door jamb. Does that mess with the door seals and does it scratch up the paint on the roof?

mtbr member
    I own a 6 speed MK7 R, and if I were to do it again I would get the DSG.

I have a hitch on my R, some pics and info here: http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/mk7...ar-969917.html

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link!

The R looks mighty fine. I dare not test drive the R. I haven't had a manual trans since my sold my Corrado in 2007. The six speed feels really good and fun rowing through the gears. Better than any manual I've driven in a VW. The DSG is so carefree to drive. First world issues in the first degree.

I had a roll bar in my Mk3. Thats fixed alot of the creaking.

I'm leaning more towards selling my roof rack and just going with the hitch and a T2.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you care about maintenance costs, look into the DSG service. It is frequent and $$$ if done at the dealer. If you can do it yourself then it may not matter much but if you are paying to have it done and keep the car more than 3 years the cost of maintenance delta is huge relative to the manual gear box.

mtbr member
    Is the DSG service interval different than a normal VW auto trans? Think VW recommends somewhere around 40K? I did one on a 2011 Jetta 2.5 and it was around $300 from the dealer. I do about 10k a year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have the DSG in my R and LOVE IT! No regrets. Also have the EcoHitch.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    The DSG vs manual is basically a religious argument. DSG is in every measurable way better.... but I drive a 6 speed because I just enjoy it more.

I have an ecohitch on order because it just seems to be the easiest way to throw the bike on the car.
    Last edited by Mdex; 04-18-2017 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    For competition, DSG for sure. For daily drive in heavy traffic, another vote for DSG. Everything else, goes with a manual.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Obviously the transmission choice is largely personal preference. I've owned more auto cars than manual, so I don't have a strong preference either way. I thought manual would be better for the R, but more often than not I wish I had the DSG, partly because I live in Pittsburgh and end up doing a good bit of city driving. I would do some reading on the VW forums and go for an extensive test drive with both before deciding on transmission. Mostly because the MK7 GTI/R manual trans is not the greatest unit out there, and benefits from a lot of upgrades that should really just be stock given the use case of the car. Vague clutch feel, clutch delay valve, soft shifter bushings, soft engine/trans mounts, poor throttle response & delay, etc make the manual a bit more finicky to drive well IMO than other cars. These can be changed, but at this point I'm not quite ready to throw extra money at a $40k Golf. The DSG launch control feature alone is a strong pro if that's your thing, because you literally cannot launch the manual quickly due to the aforementioned issues, which is why the DSG car is so much faster.

Can anybodt shift this @#*! thing smoothly? - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've got a '15 GTI 6 speed. I swear by a manual transmission and would never consider a DSG. I understand some of the appeal of the DSG but it's taking away almost all the driver involvement.

I run a Thule roof rack and its great. The feet don't compromise the door seals and the rubber contact points don't mark up the pain.

Enjoy the GTI, its a damn fun car.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Soooo...I finally picked up a 17 Sport in DSG. I do want to do some power mods a few months down the road...so that's why I went with the DSG. Everything I keep reading about the 6sp says that it has a weak stock clutch. I already have some Bilstein coilovers waiting to go on.

As for the rack...I looked at the Curt hitch and it looks like it sits pretty low. The T2 I already have looks like it'll be hitting the ground once I lower the car. At least for now...I think I'm going to stick with the roof rack...unless I can find a OneUp for a smoking deal.

I already have the bike trays and crossbars from my wagon...so all I need are the towers and foot pads from Thule?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The EcoHitch is worth the money, super clean install.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I had a 2013 Jetta tdi with DSG. The 40K mile service for it was $600. $500 of it was paid by VW though from the "Sorry we cheated" $500 dealer credit they sent. I had already spent the other $500 on home stuff.

Personally, I prefer hitch racks. I had one on the Jetta. Had to be careful backing out of my driveway with my rack on though. Not a problem, just something to be mindful of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RancidSLP View Post
    The EcoHitch is worth the money, super clean install.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike's MTB View Post
    Personally, I prefer hitch racks. I had one on the Jetta. Had to be careful backing out of my driveway with my rack on though. Not a problem, just something to be mindful of.
    I guess I am going the hitch route after all. A friend of mine is going to bro deal me his black OneUp.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Get the Direct Shift Gearbox, over MT. It's very similar to my PDK.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The DSG is a maintenance expense for sure.. My 13 Passat was $600 every 40k.

My 3500 has 15,000 mile oil changes at half the cost of the 10k changes of the TDI. Transmission also takes five times the fluid and costs half as much.

With that said, I wouldn't buy another VW, that thing was the biggest lemon I've ever owned. To top it off, it was pulling teeth to get anything covered under warranty. We sold it back with a failed DEF system (Still under extended warranty AND federal emissions warranty) that they wouldn't cover, wanted $2,800 from us to fix it.

This doesn't count failed radio, bluetooth modules, door's not unlocking (From the inside of all things), and the turbo imploding (Later became a recall). We sold it back and picked up a Subaru which was flawless until it was totaled in an accident. Even the wreck blew us away in how well the car handled it.

Sorry for the VW rant, just thought I'd overshare lol.
    His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
    The DSG is a maintenance expense for sure.. My 13 Passat was $600 every 40k.

My 3500 has 15,000 mile oil changes at half the cost of the 10k changes of the TDI. Transmission also takes five times the fluid and costs half as much.

With that said, I wouldn't buy another VW, that thing was the biggest lemon I've ever owned. To top it off, it was pulling teeth to get anything covered under warranty. We sold it back with a failed DEF system (Still under extended warranty AND federal emissions warranty) that they wouldn't cover, wanted $2,800 from us to fix it.

This doesn't count failed radio, bluetooth modules, door's not unlocking (From the inside of all things), and the turbo imploding (Later became a recall). We sold it back and picked up a Subaru which was flawless until it was totaled in an accident. Even the wreck blew us away in how well the car handled it.

Sorry for the VW rant, just thought I'd overshare lol.
    Not really sure what to tell you. I'm on my 6th VW (+ one Audi S4) since 1998 and I haven't had the issues you've experienced. I've got two 2011 Jetta's currently...both with the auto trans and both are at about 70k on the clock. Both have been rock solid since the day we got them. I've done one trans fluid change on both cars. Transmissions on both still shift great. The DSG transmissions have been around since the Mk5 and talking to the VW mechanics that I know...they aren't any worse than normal auto transmissions to maintain.

I haven't even done the brake pads on either cars...and they still look to have some more miles in them. I also had a 2006 325i as a lease...that had more issues than any one of my VW's...well...besides the Corrado VR6. That car had more issues than all of the cars I've owned combined. At the same time it was also my favorite...go figure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Because my wife and daughter refuse to drive anything other than a manual transmission, we now have a 6 speed MK7 GTI. I test drove a DSG Golf TDI in the past before we bought our manual TDI, and that was the perfect transmission to suck every ounce of fun out of my driving experience.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Not really sure what to tell you. I'm on my 6th VW (+ one Audi S4) since 1998 and I haven't had the issues you've experienced. I've got two 2011 Jetta's currently...both with the auto trans and both are at about 70k on the clock. Both have been rock solid since the day we got them. I've done one trans fluid change on both cars. Transmissions on both still shift great. The DSG transmissions have been around since the Mk5 and talking to the VW mechanics that I know...they aren't any worse than normal auto transmissions to maintain.

I haven't even done the brake pads on either cars...and they still look to have some more miles in them. I also had a 2006 325i as a lease...that had more issues than any one of my VW's...well...besides the Corrado VR6. That car had more issues than all of the cars I've owned combined. At the same time it was also my favorite...go figure.
    I take it as a lemon, but it only takes one lemon to really burn you on a car brand lol. My issue was more the lack of support from the dealers. It would always end in us putting pressure on VW to make them fix it.

Audi (Even though they're VW) seems to stand behind the product a bit better. I had an S4 for a time that was serviced by the same dealer network with zero issues.
    His: 2018 Trance Advanced 1
    Hers: 2017 Liv Hail 2

RIP: 2017 Trance Advanced 2
    First: 2014 Giant Talon 29er 0

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Coming in a little late here.

I own a 2013 R, had a 2012 GTI before that. Both 6 speeds, and both required a new clutch when tuned. So figure in that expense in your budget, if you buy a 6MT and want to tune the engine. The DSG will hold a lot more power, and won't require any changes.

I use a roof rack because the stupid center exhaust on the MKVI R won't allow a hitch to be mounted. I was worried about scratches but so far it's been fine. I got some wrap from Amazon that I cut to fit under the feet and where the clamps hook onto the door frame. The rack also came with really thick clear sticker material that I put on them as well.

I'd prefer a hitch rack, as I have driven into the garage with the bike on the car a couple times. It's surprisingly easy to forget it's up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bumping this because I had a Golf Alltrak wagon with a DSG as a loaner while my 6 speed GTI was getting serviced. I'm not gonna lie, I did like the DSG. Super fast shifting and the steering wheel paddles were quite fun and quick. The DSG makes the most out of that 1.8l turbo 4. What a fun little wagon - I'd like to get one for my wife.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat