mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Considering a Serious Bike Road Trip.....Input Needed

My sis in law is getting married in Jackson Hole, WY this July. So the wife, kid and myself (we're in Boston) are heading out there and plan staying for at least a couple weeks, maybe a month. A whole crew of people will be doing a lot of riding out there.

Now I have this crazy idea to drive out with my bike and have my wife and kid fly out. I've crunched some numbers and it will cost roughly to same to fly vs. drive but I'm a bit apprehensive about a solo 2300 mile drive.

Driving Pros: no need to rent a car or a bike, no need to ship my bike, I can stop and ride along the way and I dig road trips/adventures. I also hate the hassles of flying and Jackson is a solid day of multiple flights from Boston.

Driving Cons: wear and tear on my '15 VW GTI, time (4ish days of driving each way), never driving this much solo, usual risks of long, solo driving.

Looking for input/advice/suggestions from people who have done a similar trip. I'm leaning towards driving but don't want to regret it when I'm in the middle of the nowhere in the mid west.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    My sis in law is getting married in Jackson Hole, WY this July. So the wife, kid and myself (we're in Boston) are heading out there and plan staying for at least a couple weeks, maybe a month. A whole crew of people will be doing a lot of riding out there.

Now I have this crazy idea to drive out with my bike and have my wife and kid fly out. I've crunched some numbers and it will cost roughly to same to fly vs. drive but I'm a bit apprehensive about a solo 2300 mile drive.

Driving Pros: no need to rent a car or a bike, no need to ship my bike, I can stop and ride along the way and I dig road trips/adventures. I also hate the hassles of flying and Jackson is a solid day of multiple flights from Boston.

Driving Cons: wear and tear on my '15 VW GTI, time (4ish days of driving each way), never driving this much solo, usual risks of long, solo driving.

Looking for input/advice/suggestions from people who have done a similar trip. I'm leaning towards driving but don't want to regret it when I'm in the middle of the nowhere in the mid west.
    Its really not that bad of a drive. I live in Cheyenne Wy, my parents use to live in Philly I did the drive in 2 days a few times. Just download a few books to listen to and don't but your bike on a rack keep it inside the car if you can.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Rent a SUV, with hitch rack. It will drive up costs a bit.... but you'll be using all your own gear and save the Vee Dub. Plan every detail ahead and the trip itself can be a great decompression drive for you and the family...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    We lived in Chicago and visited my folks in Phoenix every year for 10 years. We used to drive so I could haul my bike. As we made more money we flew. Flying is great bc it takes less of a toll on the body then driving and you get more riding days. For me that option became clear... we flew until we moved to Arizona. Now people fly to us!
    "You can become a very fast donkey, but you'll never be a thoroughbred..."

All fat, all the time.
    If you have the extra time, you can stop and ride along the way. But honestly there is so much great riding once you get out west, why not ship the bike (same cost as airlines without hassle of lugging it through airport) avoid a 3 - 4 day drive, and ride epic stuff when you get to Jackson.

Don't forget the 3 - 4 day drive back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last summer I drove from California to Massachusetts, with two bikes + a hitch rack in the bed of my truck. In Mass, I unpacked the hitch rack and filled the bed with family heirlooms, put the bikes on the hitch rack and drove back west. I stopped in Salt Lake City where I met my wife at the airport and we took off for two weeks camping and biking in Utah, Wyoming and Montana. Then I took her back to the SLC airport and drove back to California. Best vacation I've ever done. Do it!

mtbr member
    My other 2 tips would be to just don't try to plan it all out. I really enjoy just going and stopping when I want to. The other would be to try and pack some food. My last trip back east I didn't want to live off rest stop food. So I packed some lunch meat and made sandwiches when I got hungry and it SO MUCH better. But I also hate fast food and most of the time it doesn't agree with me. My last 2 trips were in a VW sportwagon TDI, so I vote for just take the VW its a nice place to be and you know the car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post

Jackson is beautiful -- have fun. One nice day hike we liked was the Phelps Lake Loop Trail leaving from the Lawrence Rockefeller Preserve.

I'm not sure how old your kid is, but I would vote drive. Highway miles aren't that much wear-and-tear.

Stop along the way... lots of classics if you haven't been to such places before:
    - Chicago
    - Badlands
    - Black Hills
    - Devils Tower
    - Yellowstone
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you've never done it before, you absolutely should. Take a casual pace, stop and ride when you want, see some sights. Totally worth doing, wear and tear be damned.

I've driven cross-country several times, once solo. Not a big deal as long as you're not pushing 16-hour driving days or something.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.