mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Cheap, decent rack for a Subaru Forester (1-2 bikes)?

what's out there?

Bikesexual
    I say look at CL for a used one, do es it have a hitch?

You can get some new tray racks for about $150.00.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member

Cheap, decent rack for a Subaru Forester (1-2 bikes)?

Reese Explore 1390000 Hitch Mount SportWing 2-Bike Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8NNVZ2..._gGziBb3E6YYZD

Light, Simple, Cheap, Universal fit and can be folded / stored in the trunk.

That one is the bare bones model. I have one of these that disassemble to 3 pieces and imo a better design even if it costs more.

Highland 1375100 SportWing Hitch Mounted 2 Bike Carrier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004002CS4..._iUziBbG4MRJCW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I say look at CL for a used one, do es it have a hitch?

You can get some new tray racks for about $150.00.

it sure does!

any keywords or brands to search?

mtbr member
    I see hitch mount racks for sale often on my local facebook bike sales page. See if you have one for your area.

Cheap and decent don't often go together (unless used) and I don't think a rack that holds my expensive bike onto my car while driving 55-70+mph is a place I want to cheap out too much.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I see hitch mount racks for sale often on my local facebook bike sales page. See if you have one for your area.

Cheap and decent don't often go together (unless used) and I don't think a rack that holds my expensive bike onto my car while driving 55-70+mph is a place I want to cheap out too much.
    I totally agree with you, but OP is trying to get into the sport on a tight budget, however if he takes it up seriously definitely get a solid rack.

OP, under bike parts just search rack, you get all kinds of options.

I bought a SportRack 2 bike from a buddy for $40, it did the job but it was getting beat up and didn't like holding my bike by the frame, so ate cup of noodles for a month and got a 1up rack.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had a buzzy bee 2 bike rack. It was light, didn't sway, and held my bike steady. It is limited to about 35lbs/bike though.
    Last edited by manodpickr; 06-15-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: correct info

mtbr member
    Hereís another: Swagman xc2. Itís also all metal. Iíve used one for years.

Not every rack has to be a 1Up, Kuat or Thule to be safe and usable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Hereís another: Swagman xc2. Itís also all metal. Iíve used one for years.

Not every rack has to be a 1Up, Kuat or Thule to be safe and usable.

I've been all across the board on racks over the years. IME, there are 3 tiers of racks. 2 of which I'd buy. 1 of which I would never touch.

Of course there are the premium racks. It's what I use nowadays, less so for safety, but moreso for the usability improvements. I will say this, though - my wife got rear-ended a few weeks ago with her bike on our old gen 1 Kuat NV. Rack was totaled. Car had some damage on the lift gate. Hitch receiver was totaled, too. But her bike only had minor issues that the local shop repaired for free. That rack saved her bike from much more serious damage, and also saved her car from more serious damage in the way it absorbed the impact (from a pickup truck towing a trailer, so it had a bit of inertia).

We're replacing it with an NV 2.0.

I also have a couple of 1upUSA roof trays that I can install on one of two Thule roof racks, or onto the custom roof rack on my teardrop camper. I had a couple of Thule Sidearm carriers many years ago. Solid, but just too bulky when folded up.

The mid-tier racks, I'd call stuff like the Swagman, some of Thule or Yakima's less expensive stuff, things like that. I'd put house brand racks on this list, too. Like Performance brand stuff - they usually license a design from some other respectable manufacturer for this stuff (like the two Sportwing racks - Sportwing is a known entity, at least). Quality brands that fit a more affordable price point. I wound up skipping over this price point for hitch racks, but my first bike rack was a Performance brand roof rack back in my college days. That rack got a lot of use over the years.

Bottom tier stuff would be racks you'd find at big box stores like Walmart and Target and whatnot, or only on Amazon. Super cheap stuff. Plastic and pot metal construction. This is the tier I would avoid at all costs.

For hitch racks, I simply wouldn't use a rack that hangs bikes from the top tube. Too many respectable platform racks on the market anymore.

For the ultimate in cheap while maintaining security, though, I use fork mounts on a board in my Honda Fit. This may well be an option for a Forester (being a little taller inside). I haven't bothered with a hitch on that car because I won't ever bother with anything less than a 2" receiver. And such a thing is not available for my Honda.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I'd say base your choice of the quality of your bikes. You dont want to be trusting a cheap rack to hold a couple thousand dollars worth of bike. I still only have an entry level bike, so i run a relatively inexpensive hitch mounted rack I found of craigslist (brand escapes me atm, will edit later). Its like the Swagman XC, and it holds really well, built of out metal, screw in bolt for anti-wobble.

If i had a legit 2+ grand bike like many bikers out there, 2 things i wont cheap on is racks and locks. I'd get a proven trustworthy brand of each and just chalk it up as part of the bike price in my mind.