Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike security?

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  mahgnillig 
#1 ·
What is the best method to secure a bike on a car? Not sure if I'll go with a roof rack or a hitch style rack. I'm leaning toward a roof rack because I will also need a ski rack, but it seems like the bike could be more secure on a hitch rack locked to the receiver. Putting the bike inside the vehicle is not an option.

#6 ·
Always a dicey question...

With the advent of these, nothing is secure. You can cut the cable, chain, rack, hitch in seconds. All you can do is prevent casual theft and slow down the determined thief.

Product Red Line Technology Machine

I don't park in same location so a planning thief can't plan, and use a big 7 ft chain with 12mm links.

Yellow Circle Design Gadget Body jewelry

#3 ·
I have a Thule T2 hitch rack. When I'm driving to the trails, I just lock the rack. If I have to leave the bike on the rack unattended for a few minutes, I also use a Master cable cuff. I believe it's a motorcycle lock.
I've become very good at finding parking places where I can see the bike from wherever I happen to be.
I also do not have a quick release skewer on my saddle. No point in letting someone take it without tools.

#7 ·
I also do not have a quick release skewer on my saddle. No point in letting someone take it without tools.
Also a very good point!

I put Hexlox on my wife's very nice town bike for just this reason. I have them on the saddle, stem, seatpost and wheels.

Pretty slick little devices, but again, I only expect it to prevent casual theft.

Technology Metal Circle Silver Coquelicot

#5 ·
We've got Thule crossbars with the Pro-ride bike carriers attached. The new Pro-ride 598 comes with a much better designed lockable hook for the frame than the previous 591 which would make opportunist theft (as shown on YouTube) not as easy. But I always bring 4 ABUS 1010 85cm chain locks with us to then wrap each one under the crossbars, carrier and through each wheel (and chainstay on the rear).
In the UK insurance companies use a Gold-Silver-Bronze rating system for security chains and locks and these chains meet the Gold standard so the bikes will be covered by our insurance if someone does manage to defeat the chains and locks.

#8 ·
Paranoid - who said I was paranoid - who? ;)

I've also swapped out my QR through-axle bolt for a normal allen keyed axle.

As stated by others above, you will never stop a thief who REALLY wants the bike but hopefully you can make it a PITA to have go at your bikes so it deters quick attempts and makes your bikes less tempting to a more determined thief.

#10 ·
I have a question I'm looking at dropping 600 on a new hitch platform rack has anybody ever had their rack stolen? do they sell decent locks with these racks or should I get my own?

Hate to drop that kind of money on something only for it to disappear I don't plan on taking it off every time I'm done using it the whole point of it is to be easy to get my bike on the car and head down the road. Otherwise I just slip it in the back with the seats down don't even have to take the tires off 2001 Subaru Forester works well for one single biker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Most premium hitch mounted bike racks from Thule, Yakima and Kuat will include locks to secure the bikes to the rack and rack to the vehicle. These locks aren't infallible, they can be fairly easily defeated by somebody with a little time and lack of witnesses.

If you click this link below, you can see an article with additional advice on how to protect your bike/rack investment:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-57.html

#12 ·
The best method is to lock it inside the car and cover it so you can't tell it's a bike.

Otherwise, never let it out of your sight.

#14 ·
I use one of those to lock my toolboxes together. Now that I think of it its probably not much good with a grinder and hacksaw being unsecured and less than ten feet away.

I use a combination cable, lock for my bike but I know it's easy to figure out the combo.

#17 ·
This is the way I see it. Locks and cables are simply deterrents that will make a bike thief think twice and hopefully move on to an easier target. If a thief has the time time and resources, they'll get your bike if its just locked with a cable.

I'll always drive a hatchback/wagon because if I need to park for a while, I can take the front wheel off and lock the bike in the car with the seats down.

#16 ·
What about a device that will alert your phone as soon as it is tampered with?

Also, what about a gps like device you can put in your handlebars or the like and can track with your phone?

In the age of technology these seem much more likely for one to keep or recover their bike. As stated with a battery powered angle grinder any physical mechanism can be overcome easily.

My bike goes in my van and is covered. However, I also rock climb, backpack etc where my van can be unattended for long periods of time. I would like to try one of these small gps trackers. Any experience/recommendations here?

#18 ·
locks and cables keep honest people honest

they don't even slow down thieves. thieves are already armed with
lithium powered angle grinders and if they want your bike, they will take it.

here is a tip: you leave your bike unattended for 1 second or more,
hope you have a spare bike because that one...is GONE

do not ever leave them unattended and visible. break it down and stuff inside the
vehicle.

#19 ·
Even locking it in the car is not a real deterrent, may even be quicker and easier to break a window than cut a chain or cable. It's just like any other security control, make yours more secure and hope they didn't bring the right tool, are afraid to take the extra time, or move on to an easier and "safer" target for them.

#20 ·
I prefer a fork-mount roof rack, with a cable securing the frame and rear wheel to the rack.

2 things to cut through, plus a thief is out in the open unless you're parked between 2 trucks. Fork mount also means they're not riding off on the bike either.

JMJ

#24 ·
I use a Thule T2 hitch mount. Hitch pin is locked. Built in hitch cables locked, Hitch bar across front wheel locked....And I use a Kryptonite motorcycle chain lock through the frames and the hitch eyes. On top of that, I NEVER park where my bikes are left unalone or where they're not plenty of witnesses, and never leave them on overnight, ever.

#25 ·
I guess having a truck is good for security, when bikes are on my tailgate I lock them with a couple of Kryptonite NY u-locks and NY chain locked into my goose-neck hitch in the bed.

I suppose if you have a car with a hitch rack you could do something similar and run the chain down to your hitch safety chain tie-in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.