Thread: Bike/Rack Cover

mtbr member

Bike/Rack Cover

I am planning to drive from the east coast to Colorado this summer and want to cover the bikes while they are on the bike rack to protect them from rain, stones...

I will have two 29ers on thule t2 classic mounted on the back of my suburban. I don't want something that will get shredded in the wind after 100 miles.

I found a couple on amazon, but both had terrible reviews.

any recommendation would be appreciated...

mtbr member
    bump...is there really nothing out there?

since 4/10/2009
    someone posted something once that had "windows" for your taillights, but I don't remember what it was.

That's the big risk with using some sort of cover like that - covering your taillights (and possibly the license plate, depending on how grumpy the cops are). That's bad for what should be pretty obvious reasons.

Frankly, I've driven across the country a number of times and have never had any major problems. Bugs, at worst. I've done around 4500mi of road trips with bikes flying in the wind this year alone. Nothing has been damaged. My last one about a week ago had about 500mi of consistent rain, and no problems. The only time I really start getting concerned about the bikes outside is when there's salt spray in wintertime. Otherwise, IMO the cover is not worth much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Otherwise, IMO the cover is not worth much.
    And a cover flapping/rubbing on your bikes can do some damage... Seems more trouble than it's worth.

But if you want to try it, I see quite a few Fiamma covers on the autobahn.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    If it is on the back of a Suburban, aren't the bikes mostly protected by the vehicle? Except for a small part of the wheels peeking out from behind either side, the bikes are mostly in the wind draft of the Burb. Seems to me that IS the cover.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    thanks, for the feedback. I was mostly interested in keeping it clean. I hadn't thought about the rubbing/chaffing aspect. I think ill just let them go in the wind.

mtbr member extraordinair
    My $0.02 - I would leave them uncovered. The rain shouldn't hurt anything and if you want protection from flying debris, look for something like mudguards to fit behind the rear wheels of your vehicle.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    There are bike covers available, but to be honest with you, they are designed to be used behind an RV where they'd be COMPLETELY out of the wind. Any portion exposed directly to the wind will be shredded in short order, and the flapping around can damage the finish on your bike.

I'd love to sell you a cover, but in this case you honestly wouldn't be happy with it.