mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Bike Carrier for modern Geo bike with longer wheelbase

HI all,

So i've been doing some research on tray-style hitch bike carrier for my new Kona Process 153 29er that i'll be picking up this weekend. With the XL size, the wheel base is about 49.5" according to Kona's website.

Most of bike carriers out there only has a limit of 48" wheelbase, with the exception of 1UP-usa.com quick rack.

Any of you having problems finding tray-style carrier for your XL sized bikes with wheelbase longer than 48"?

Just wanted to make sure that i'm not missing any other option out there. I know that 1UP receives a lot of good review, but i'm still not set on the fact that there is no "threaded bolt" securing the carrier to the hitch (it uses that ball expander thingy).

I really like Saris superclamp, but again, it only takes wheelbase up to 48"

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Saris has a long wheelbase bar. "Max 57" axle-to axle measurement".

https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-long-wheelbase

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've had my Hollywood rack for over 10 years, it's never come close to being too short for any bike. My xl Trek Stache 29+ is wider than my car, but I have several inches on either side that the bike could be longer.

I don't know the exact wheelbase limits, but it is secured by a threaded bolt too

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Saris has a long wheelbase bar. "Max 57" axle-to axle measurement".

https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-long-wheelbase
    Hmm, i'll look into this.

Anyone with 2017 Kona Process XL use Saris superclamp successfully without buying the long wheelbase bar?

mtbr member
    I have the Superclamp 2 and my Banshee has a wheelbase of 1166. The wheelbase on the Stumpjumper 6F is 1143mm. Both of the wheel holders are maxed out. Both bikes are medium.

Bike Carrier for modern Geo bike with longer wheelbase-img_20170909_180443486.jpg

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    My kuat transfer 2 holds my long fat bike no problem (except I use my own strap for rear tire). XL mukluk with 455mm stays. I doubt theres a bike that wouldnt fit besides a tandem lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Those are short bikes though. The issue is most bike racks are limited to a 48" (1219mm) and XL enduro bikes tend to run about 49"+.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Those are short bikes though. The issue is most bike racks are limited to a 48" (1219mm) and XL enduro bikes tend to run about 49"+.
    correct - the Banshee converted to Inch is about 46" in wheelbase. If that maxes out the superclamp, then mine definitely need to buy the "longer" bar to accommodate my 49.5" wheelbase.

Thanks for the pics - that clarifies things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    So, just got a response back from Saris regarding their Long wheelbase bar option - they no longer make those. So, there goes Saris' option.

I ended up ordering 1UP 1.25" carrier for now. The other option was Rhino-Rack Dual Trekker carrier for 2 bikes, but it's uber heavy at over 56 lbs. My small civic will definitely feel that . 1Up is only 23 lbs, and even if i add an add on for second bike, it's still over 10lbs lighter than Rhino Rack.

A lot of great review on 1UP, so we'll see how that works when i get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    So, just got a response back from Saris regarding their Long wheelbase bar option - they no longer make those. So, there goes Saris' option.

I ended up ordering 1UP 1.25" carrier for now. The other option was Rhino-Rack Dual Trekker carrier for 2 bikes, but it's uber heavy at over 56 lbs. My small civic will definitely feel that . 1Up is only 23 lbs, and even if i add an add on for second bike, it's still over 10lbs lighter than Rhino Rack.

A lot of great review on 1UP, so we'll see how that works when i get it.
    I've owned both a 1UP and Saris Superclamp. I prefer the Superclamp for a variety of reasons I have detailed in other threads. I have a large Banshee Darkside with a 48" wheelbase and it definitely maxes out the wheel holders on the Saris. That's not to say it wouldn't hold a 49" WB bike, but the tires wouldn't be fully cradled in the trays. Saris really needs to make the Superclamp crossbar 2" longer so it covers up to 50" wheelbase bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Agreed - Superclamp was my first pick as well. I would think making superclamp with slightly longer crossbar wouldn't add too much to the cost either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Good thing you started this thread because I didn't realize most racks were limited to a 48" wheelbase. I didn't really want to spend the money for a 1up rack but I might have to now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The bike rack industry needs to keep up with the new "long-low-slack" geometry trends going forward, mainly for the sake of us "XL" bike-size riders...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Even Large frame size enduro bikes are often over 48". The medium Giant Reign is barely under at 47.6".

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, finally got my 1Up quick rack today, just in time for our Thanksgiving trip up to NH. The rack really look sharp and well made. Can't wait to mount it on the hitch and drive it down the road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I found another hitch rack that fits up to a 50" wheelbase, the Swagman Semi 2.0. The reviews look good and it ticks all the boxes for what I was looking for.