Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Anyone have a rockbros suction rack?

Can’t justify $300+ on the sea sucker when the bike fits in my car.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    What's the question? You already said it's not worth the money for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Question is pretty clear.

mtbr member
    the question is: does anyone have one?

the answer: yes, someone has one.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

I didn't do it
    I just can't get past the fact that the rack attaches to the car via suction cups. Haven't looked at them too close but it seems like security would be an issue? No thanks.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    I just can't get past the fact that the rack attaches to the car via suction cups. Haven't looked at them too close but it seems like security would be an issue? No thanks.
    The seasucker gets positive feedback. They have 3 suction cups up front, so chances of them all failing are pretty slim. Just trying to see if anyone has experience with the knockoff version.

mtbr member
    Rock Bros stuff is garbage. I would not even buy a bell from that company, let alone strap a bicycle to a moving car in traffic with one of their products. blatant knockoff crap with no accountability. buy a quality rack of you're going to do it at all.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

I didn't do it
    I've never understood going cheap on the bike rack. Spend a little extra and get a solid, quality rack.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've never understood going cheap on the bike rack. Spend a little extra and get a solid, quality rack.
    Awesome, you’re two for two on opinions that have no backing in this thread.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
    Easy there chief.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Easy there chief.
    Sorry Mook, I think I set his tone with my remark.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

locked - time out

since 4/10/2009
    Cheap racks drop bikes on the interstate.

Those comments absolutely have bearing on this discussion.

If your bike fits inside your car, and you can't afford a product that's not a shitty knockoff, then put your bike inside your car.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Cheap racks drop bikes on the interstate.

Those comments absolutely have bearing on this discussion.

If your bike fits inside your car, and you can't afford a product that's not a shitty knockoff, then put your bike inside your car.

Cool, how many bikes did you lose with your rockbros?

That’s what I thought. And no, they have no bearing because he simply can’t fathom using a suction mount, including seasucker.

mtbr member
    No smart person is going to take the risk. That's wise. You're being a dick to people who are giving you advice in good faith.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

since 4/10/2009
    Cool, how many bikes did you lose with your rockbros?

That’s what I thought. And no, they have no bearing because he simply can’t fathom using a suction mount, including seasucker.
    lol. I've seen the results of plenty of other cheap racks dropping bikes on the interstate. Rockbros is just another one on the pile to me.

Then there's the fact that they don't make anything but shitty knockoffs. I know better than to waste my money on garbage. The product with the lowest initial price never means best value. It means you get the cheapest built product with the cheapest materials and the lowest level of quality control.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    No smart person is going to take the risk. That's wise. You're being a dick to people who are giving you advice in good faith.
    Not really. If they were shit, there would be plenty of people saying so. So far, it’s just a bunch of people assuming they’re shit, which may be the right assumption, but has no validity to the actual product in question. If they’re bad, cool, but let’s hear it from someone who has hands on experience with it. Plenty of knockoff shit works fine

mtbr member
    Then buy one. Prove us wrong.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

since 4/10/2009
    Not really. If they were shit, there would be plenty of people saying so. So far, it’s just a bunch of people assuming they’re shit, which may be the right assumption, but has no validity to the actual product in question. If they’re bad, cool, but let’s hear it from someone who has hands on experience with it. Plenty of knockoff shit works fine
    So here's the thing about that.

There's a high risk that the rack is shit. What are the consequences if it's reliable? Sure, not much because it's cheap. Lower cost outlay, for sure. Loss of some convenience if you don't buy it and put the bike inside your car. What are the consequences if the product is indeed garbage? Your bike gets dumped on the interstate, or somewhere else (damage to the bike, the rack, your car for one. But also the risk that it causes someone else to wreck, with the additional costs and potential liabilities involved there). With the very asymmetric leaning of the risks, you SHOULD be extra cautious with a purchase like this.

You only ASSUME that plenty of people here on mtbr actually own this product and would therefore be able to give input from actual use. That's not all that likely. People here are mostly pretty savvy consumers and can sniff out hidden gems as well as garbage pretty well. There are plenty of in-depth investigative articles about knockoff products in general and they are NOT flattering. Knockoff products can and have killed people. And there's no accountability to prevent that in the future.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I haven't had any problem with rockbros pedals and other small components, but no way would I trust my bikes to that. I would have a hard time trusting any suction cup rack. I've had bike roof racks almost blow me off the road in a cross wind which is why I carry on them on the rear now. No way would I trust suction cups to a few thousand dollars of bikes as well as the safety of me and anyone behind be.

If you don't mind straps, the hollywood racks on amazon is pretty solid and they're relatively cheap. I've put at least 10,000 miles of bike hauling on mine without any issue.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    I haven't had any problem with rockbros pedals and other small components, but no way would I trust my bikes to that. I would have a hard time trusting any suction cup rack. I've had bike roof racks almost blow me off the road in a cross wind which is why I carry on them on the rear now. No way would I trust suction cups to a few thousand dollars of bikes as well as the safety of me and anyone behind be.

If you don't mind straps, the hollywood racks on amazon is pretty solid and they're relatively cheap. I've put at least 10,000 miles of bike hauling on mine without any issue.
    How quick can you take it off and put it on? I feel they’re kind of cumbersome. Plus, I just got rear ended the other week so a little hesitant.

mtbr member
    Left-field bit of advice: i have a hitch rack. Reliable, strong, easy to use. It's bulky to store and weighs a ton though. Putting a hitch on my car cost me about $100. A used hitch rack is probably still worthwhile.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Hardtail Steel Forever
    How quick can you take it off and put it on? I feel they’re kind of cumbersome. Plus, I just got rear ended the other week so a little hesitant.
    My sort of sits on the bumper and uses 6 straps to attach. I can probably get it on and off in under a minute at this point. It uses rubber coated hooks and the tie downs are built in so you just need to loosen a few of them to unclip the rest. Doesn't work well if the rear of your car has the extended faring or whatever its called on the rear hatch.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Rac...S7E?th=1&psc=1

That one?

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Boy can I sniff them out.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Sorry Mook, I think I set his tone with my remark.
    I don't think you're the problem here.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Big Mac
    For like $10 you can get a couple ratchet straps and just strap the sled to the rough. Super cheap and mega secure.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Best solution is to bolt mounts directly on to the car. I saw an old Tempo at a trail head that had mounts bolted on the roof, and trunk. It was not going to fall off. Unfortunately this was before smart phones, or even digital cameras.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.