DaFaJa

1up Rack & Security

Not so long ago I had my Trek taken off of my 1up rack, I did not have the bike locked up the rack in anyway so it was 100% my fault..

If you have a 1up Rack post your Security set up..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It really shouldn't matter too much the brand of rack. On my trunk rack, I run an 8mm Kryptonite cable through a tow loop and through the bike, if I think I will have to leave the car and bike, or will be driving through stop and go traffic.

DaFaJa
    Yeah, I have to say thing main thing I do not like is that the rack does not lock to the car..So you have to lock the rack to the car and the bike to the rack..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon /Sid W/C XX / Fox CTD RP / xx1 / xo type2 / Stans Flows
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks View Post
    Yeah, I have to say thing main thing I do not like is that the rack does not lock to the car..So you have to lock the rack to the car and the bike to the rack..
    Was your rack stolen? If not, what's the big deal? If it does get stolen, 1up offers free replacement. So...?

Afric Pepperbird
    You may want to read this very lengthy 1up discussion thread. Some security measures are mentioned somewhere in there.

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by racerwad View Post
    Was your rack stolen? If not, what's the big deal? If it does get stolen, 1up offers free replacement. So...?
    Yeah who cares about the bike??? the Rack is whats most important...Good thing I will get a new rack
    Tampa FL USA

DaFaJa
    And so Every one understands..I am in no way bashing 1up, The rack is built amazing and A+ quality..
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You said it, not me. I was just addressing what you said what the "main thing."

I'm really sorry your bike was stolen. That blows. This has been discussed round-and-round before and it seems like the consensus is that nothing is theft-proof. The 1up thread that dirt farmer linked to has a pretty good discussion on it with pics and everything.

Does either your car/homeowner/renter insurance cover your bike? I hope so.

Good luck.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never leave a bike on a rack unseen. It will get stolen. The somewhat-exceptions apply to a few minutes or during a meal in a place where it's not as likely, but really nothing is for sure. Leaving it for hours or overnight especially is going to do it. There are plenty of tools that can cut through racks like butter, and criminals do not care about damaging your rack or your car. Unfortunately a lot of the lock systems around kind of assume the opposite.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

DaFaJa
    I got lucky & got my bike back the next day...and it was left on the rack for a full 45 sec max..that's how fast it happened..I think the people were fowling me..I use a cable lock to the hitch, rack & bike...All together..
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How did u get it back so quick?

DaFaJa
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    How did u get it back so quick?
    ::STOLEN:: Superfly 100 pro
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I got lucky & got my bike back the next day...and it was left on the rack for a full 45 sec max..that's how fast it happened..I think the people were fowling me..I use a cable lock to the hitch, rack & bike...All together..
    Wow great news! Congrats.

mtbr member
    May 2008

My current 1UP rack security system

I know there's another very lengthy thread with some security suggestions (as mentioned above) but that thread is riddled with banter about the price of the rack, build quality etc, and the security stuff is pretty hard to find.

I think we should make this *the* dedicated thread on the methods people use to secure bikes to the 1UP rack.

Without further ado, here's my setup. First some context though: my wife and I are doing a year long road trip around the USA. About 3 weeks in, our bikes have been on the rack almost all the time. To be fair, we've not yet spend significant time in a city/urban area; mostly national parks, camping, and staying in a few quiet neighbourhoods parked in driveways. Nevertheless I'm pretty paranoid about our bikes being taken.

Like most others I was concerned with the lack of security features in the rack once I'd bought it. Fortunately I have a bunch of pretty good locks already so I used these, as well as buying a specific u-lock to secure the rack to the hitch.

Here is an image gallery on Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/1vGHP

1. Kryptonite 7.5 inch u-lock to hitch. 1UP security skewer blocking someone with the right tool to loosen the main nut. A Velcro strap just because it came with the rack.

2. Kryptonite u-lock through the rear wheel and chain stays. Armoured cable lock through the u-lock and the middle section of the rack preventing the bike to be slid to the left and right. Unfortunately the cable lock isn't long enough to make it around the frame and the middle section of the rack

I do the same for each bike.

My original setup was a cable lock through the bike frame and one tray (not the center of the rack), and the unlock through he rear wheel and the "arm" of the rack (part that secured the wheel in place). While this method actually looked more secure, my wife pointed out you could actually release the arms and the locks would slide off them and the tray :S (see images 3 and 4 for this example).

I'm not 100% on my current method though; if you can cut the around cable you could remove the bike itself, but the u-lock would prevent it from being ridden or rolled away. This is the best I have for the moment, and I'm considering going back to the previous method because it appeared to be far more secure when each lock passed though the bike and the rack, rather than two locks Kok ing together.

If y'all have any ideas on how to improve it, please let me know.
    Last edited by bkpr; 06-20-2017 at 12:20 PM.

beater
    I use a heavy motorcycle chain (12mm links) around the frame and rack, with a heavy padlock. Like the Kryptonite New York chain, but 1/3 the price because it's from a motorcycle store. Cables are easier to cut. I still wouldn't leave it outside overnight if I had another option, though. Anything can be cut more quickly than you think.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the tip. Definitely I will endeavour to bring the bikes inside any urban acccommodation that feels exposed. So far we've had a secluded driveway and a garage so it hasn't been a problem yet. I will check out the chain option though. Cheers.

mtbr member
    My friend uses a lock like this to lock the bike carrier to the car:

There's a variety of locks like this at Amazon.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I secure the rack to the vehicle using the 1up hitch lock plus a U-lock. I also have a cable that I loop through the frame and attach to the U-lock plus two 1up wheel locks that resemble the hitch lock.

1up Rack & Security-img_0916.jpg

1up Rack & Security-img_0917.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wow, your method of securing the rack to the car is identical to mine (or mine is identical to yours), even down to the model of u-lock!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Does Home Depot have the same hex security wrench? what size is it?

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by young View Post
    Does Home Depot have the same hex security wrench? what size is it?
    No, but nice try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    No, but nice try.
    nice try? I own my rack and I need a replacement. I hope I would find a similar one cheaper. online or Lowes?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I secure the rack to the vehicle using the 1up hitch lock plus a U-lock. I also have a cable that I loop through the frame and attach to the U-lock plus two 1up wheel locks that resemble the hitch lock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	1142850

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	1142851
    All this and I bet you leave the keys in the ignition and windows down.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    nice try? I own my rack and I need a replacement. I hope I would find a similar one cheaper. online or Lowes?
    Why don't you just contact 1upusa? Hmm...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    how much would they charge me for just a tool? Will they charge shipping as well? I think instant pick up is more convenient.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    All this and I bet you leave the keys in the ignition and windows down.
    Ha! As long as the bike is secure...

mtbr member
    how much would they charge me for just a tool? Will they charge shipping as well? I think instant pick up is more convenient.
    You, my friend, are an idiot.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    whats this thing for on the left? the U lock idea is sweet, btw

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    whats this thing for on the left? the U lock idea is sweet, btw

It looks like their hitch bar lock: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-bar-lock/

Bikesexual
    ^^Yep, I have that lock, it was worth the $19.00 since stays on my car almost 100% of the time.

It looks like their hitch bar lock: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-bar-lock/
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    ^^Yep, I have that lock, it was worth the $19.00 since stays on my car almost 100% of the time.
    Word on the street is a Bic pen will penetrate it.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Contains no juice.
    That's an old street.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/penjacking/

I meant the OneUp hitch bar lock not the U-Lock. Must have been my delivery that suffered on that one.

Bikesexual
    Really? I guess if the ahole wanted it, there will ne no stopping him.

It does have a key you need to screw it in/out.
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Really? I guess if the ahole wanted it, there will ne no stopping him.

It does have a key you need to screw it in/out.

Complete sarcasm on my part. I forgot the little winky dude > .

It stemmed from the U-Lockís bad history of being able to penetrate it with a Bic pen.

Bikesexual
    whew!

It stemmed from the U-Lockís bad history of being able to penetrate it with a Bic pen.

Contains no juice.

Once again, sarcasm loses to its nemesis, the Internet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    It really shouldn't matter too much the brand of rack. On my trunk rack, I run an 8mm Kryptonite cable through a tow loop and through the bike, if I think I will have to leave the car and bike, or will be driving through stop and go traffic.
    This. I have yet to see anything even remotely resembling a decent lock on any bike rack system out there. They're all easy enough to get around in a matter of seconds, so that's why I didn't care if my last rack even came with a lock.

That said, my go-to isn't technically a hell of a lot better... Kryptonite cables going all through the important bits (both wheels, spare tire mount on the back of my vehicle, the spare tire wheel itself, and a u-lock bonding all that to the frame of the bike.

Sounds crazy/complicated, but really isn't and as such, I barely consider it adequate for short times away from the bike. Even then, always park it near a busy area, well lit, and be quick. =)

It's worth noting that it wouldn't be hard to unbolt the hitch from most vehicles and take the entire rack/bike/hitch in one shot, hence also attaching it to my spare tire/rim/mount. If you can carry away the hitch, rack, bike, spare tire mount from my back door, AND a 285/75/16 off road tire/wheel, I'll gladly deal with the insurance deductible.

Or just bring a decent bolt/cable cutter and all of this is moot.

Once again, sarcasm loses to its nemesis, the Internet.
    If Gary Larson [Far Side] was still around I could picture him coming up with a cartoon grouping like that.

Moo!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    I use a heavy motorcycle chain (12mm links) around the frame and rack, with a heavy padlock. Like the Kryptonite New York chain, but 1/3 the price because it's from a motorcycle store. Cables are easier to cut. I still wouldn't leave it outside overnight if I had another option, though. Anything can be cut more quickly than you think.
    The chain is key.

You can also get a 20ft hardened tow chain with gold coating for ~$50 from most hardware stores, cut it down to the proper size, add some tubular webbing often used for climbing anchors and a nice padlock and you have something secure enough most thieves will look for an easier target.

A friend had two large cables locking his Nomad and V10, left for an hour outside a busy restaurant, came back and both cables were cut, bikes gone. Hardened chains require a power tool and a couple minutes of work that makes a lot of noise so chains are often fairly secure if left in a busier public place.

Another strategy is to cover your bike(s) with a tarp or something. If the potential thieves have no idea what's under the tarp they are less likely to make an attempt.

And, don't think your bikes are secure in your garage, they are too easy to get into. Lock your bikes in your garage or bring them in your house.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I just bought a 1Up and love it. I bought a hitch lock for it and also two of their wheel locks. Since I bought them all at the same time theyíre all keyed alike which makes it nice and easy. If I happen to stop anywhere Iíll also put a cable lock on the bike, through the rack and hitch.

Thieves will steal in a heartbeat if given a chance, make it too time consuming for short periods and store your bike if at all possible.
    Last edited by TScottW99; 1 Week Ago at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Does a use abus chains?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    40 bucks at Harbor Freight
    you get a lithium powered angle grinder
    with a disc.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    Does a use abus chains?

Sorry, we don't speak Canadian here. Try next door.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    40 bucks at Harbor Freight
    you get a lithium powered angle grinder
    with a disc.
    I'm sure "young" will be glad to hear that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sorry, we don't speak Canadian here. Try next door.
    Yankees are too slow in learning new languages

Bikesexual
    https://youtu.be/EsL_TAfQxH8

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I use the German Abus security chain and lock It has Rockwell hardness 44.

1up Rack & Security-7c23e9fd-907a-4bed-b68c-400576b54e52.jpg

Name:	7C23E9FD-907A-4BED-B68C-400576B54E52.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1207321

ID:	1207321Click image for larger version. 

ID:	1207321

Rabid Lana fan
    DJ, you almost managed to get them all in one single stack. Almost.

Maybe next time?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

CEO Product Failure
    My rack is locked via hitch pin to my vehicle. When leaving the bike(s) unattended, I use a cable lock to lock the bike(s) to the rack. Then use a Kryptonite NYC lock to lock the bikes together or if there is only one bike, I lock use the Kryptonice NYC lock and lock the single bikes rear wheel to the front triangle.

No lock is 100% unbreakable. My goal is to dissuade someone from considering stealing my bike. I figure if they think its too much effort then they'll move on to something easier.

Note: someone needs to create an app that interfaces with your car's rear camera and activates the camera to record when it detects motion and/or movement/vibrations when parked. It would interface with your smart phone real time and send you immediate alerts. This tech app has already been developed for door bells -- look up the Ring door bell. Its a life saver if you order from Amazon frequently.

mtbr member
    i have the Ring Doorbell, you can add on more cams for like a shed etc. cool tech

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    DJ, you almost managed to get them all in one single stack. Almost.

Maybe next time?
    It's a single stack on my phone, so it's a win.

But I still don't know what it means.

Bikesexual
    Ditto!
    It's a single stack on my phone, so it's a win.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Note: someone needs to create an app that interfaces with your car's rear camera and activates the camera to record when it detects motion and/or movement/vibrations when parked. It would interface with your smart phone real time and send you immediate alerts. This tech app has already been developed for door bells -- look up the Ring door bell. Its a life saver if you order from Amazon frequently.
    Excellent idea!
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

searchin for Animal Chin
    On my 1up I wrap a bike lock around the rack to hitch, and another from rack to bikes. And try not to leave if anywhere I can't see it.
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Donít make me repeat myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Donít make me repeat myself.
    Can you repeat again?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Combine it with a cell phone-activated bear spray release. "You want to steal my bike?" Boom!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    My rack is locked via hitch pin to my vehicle. When leaving the bike(s) unattended, I use a cable lock to lock the bike(s) to the rack. Then use a Kryptonite NYC lock to lock the bikes together or if there is only one bike, I lock use the Kryptonice NYC lock and lock the single bikes rear wheel to the front triangle.

No lock is 100% unbreakable. My goal is to dissuade someone from considering stealing my bike. I figure if they think its too much effort then they'll move on to something easier.

The bike thieves around Denver/Boulder are so brazen they don't give a crap about surveillance cameras. Unless you are within 60 seconds of your car, all that will happen with your idea is that you'll see the cut cables still swinging.

They are now doing smash and grabs at bikes shops that have cameras at every angle. There was even a high end road bike stolen out of a "secure" corral at the Ride the Rockies bike event. They have the guy's total face and body at every angle. The cops just shrug, they don't have time to go looking for bike thieves. There was a bike stolen off a rack in Boulder at a stoplight while the driver sat waiting for the light to change. People have had their locked bikes cut and stolen while they sit 15 feet away on a restaurant patio.

The best solution is to keep your bike locked and covered from view, *inside* of your vehicle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Is there a bike cover that would fit 1upusa rack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    How do these thieves sell their stolen goods? People will be watching pinkbike site and local newspapers ads

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    How do these thieves sell their stolen goods? People will be watching pinkbike site and local newspapers ads

There are large organized theft rings. They swap parts on the bikes, and send them to other cities to be sold. Colorado bikes end up in LA, LA bikes in Phoenix, Phoenix bikes in Colorado, etc. Your Colorado Yeti with a Fox 36 fork, some Spank wheels, and Shimano components might end up being a California Yeti with a RockShox Lyrik, DT wheels, and SRAM.

I read that some high end road bikes end up in Columbia. Road riding is huge there, and bikes are hard to come by.

Just like car body parts and glass have VIN numbers etched on them, bikes need to start having matching serial numbers on all of the components. Not that it would make a huge dent, but at least police who find a bike with a frame serial that has not been reported stolen, might be able to bust the thieves based on component serials that match stolen bikes.

In addition to a huge bike theft problem Colorado has perhaps an even bigger car and motorcycle theft problem. It is crazy how many people I know who have had their cars/trucks/motorcycles stolen in the past few years, many of them right out of their driveways or parking lots at work, in broad daylight. You can do everything you want to secure your bike and rack to your car, the thieves might just take the car instead.

Bikesexual
    The only anti-theft device is common sense. Home to trail, trail to home. I can eat and drink after that.

My bikes live inside the house.

Anything happens, is probably out of my control.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've used an moto alarm chain. Its freaking Loud but i've set it off accidentally so many times I've stopped using it as my daily driver. And you have to deactivate it before you start driving.

My friend who will leave his bike unattended outside a ticket office while he goes in for his bikepark pass thinks I am overly paranoid.

Nat
    mtbr member
    The only anti-theft device is common sense. Home to trail, trail to home. I can eat and drink after that.

My bikes live inside the house.

Anything happens, is probably out of my control.

That tactic works great until you travel, then it's harder to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    someone said my name? 1up says 10 bucks but doesnt say about cost of tax or shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    I've used an moto alarm chain. Its freaking Loud but i've set it off accidentally so many times I've stopped using it as my daily driver. And you have to deactivate it before you start driving.

My friend who will leave his bike unattended outside a ticket office while he goes in for his bikepark pass thinks I am overly paranoid.
    The link isn't working

Contains no juice.
    someone said my name? 1up says 10 bucks but doesnt say about cost of tax or shipping.
    $299.00 shipping & handling.

The link isn't working

It works fine.

1up Rack & Security-eb5cc4f4-0c3a-438b-9753-116de4058142.jpg
    1up Rack & Security-85f140a5-5dbd-4210-9766-7e821d168694.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It works fine.

Name:	EB5CC4F4-0C3A-438B-9753-116DE4058142.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	1208300

Name:	85F140A5-5DBD-4210-9766-7E821D168694.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	1208301
    What about those disc brake alarm for motorcycle? Can we use it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What is the black Allen key used for 1upusa rack? I bought the rack a week ago. I love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Why hasn't anyone responded to my question?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Why hasn't anyone responded to my question?

I didn't get that, just 2 keys for the lock, and the 2 tools for the rack.

Members who have read this thread: 204