Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
Results 3,501 to 3,529 of 3529
  1. #3501
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by briantortilla View Post
    Here are some pics of my new heavy duty rack on my Mazda 3. I wasn't really a fan of the u-lock security option, so I got a "weather proof" padlock from a local locksmith and had him install a 3"shackle. A cable fits nicely in the shackle giving me a one key solution. I also don't mind using the Velcro strap as a backup. As a plus, my hatch clears the rack when it is folded in the fully up stowed position making access to the back really easy!! Loving it so far.
    You have great taste in cars, colors, and racks, Sir. 1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-16796956_10211661919560667_6829642484288598607_o.jpg
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  2. #3502
    Danger Zone
    Reputation: GoldFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I just came back to this thread....did not see it in the last couple of posts but ya'll have seen the NEW rack

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=43WSDih6mOQ
    This is not the same 1up. Look at the other thread for more info. 1up-usa.com and 1upusa.com are not (or are no longer) the same company. If I need anything else for my 1up rack I'll be using 1up-usa.com.

    I may purchase another add on rack sooner than I had previously planned from 1up-usa.com because who knows what could happen if a legal battle starts.

  3. #3503
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    29
    Ouch GF. I just saw that other thread....
    Konfusing times eh...

  4. #3504
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    40
    Any Canadian owners care to comment on the shipping/duty/brokerage fees for getting one of these up to Vancouver? the web site mentions duty , but I thought NAFTA meant no duty on made in N.A products? Im pretty close to ordering one ( or the other 1upusa "mach 2" rack ) but am a little worried about being hit with a whopper of a shipping bill.
    Thanks!

  5. #3505
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16796956_10211661919560667_6829642484288598607_o.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	1156899
    you either have excellent depth perception or terrible depth perception.......I cant tell with the shadow on the bumper.

  6. #3506
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscello View Post
    you either have excellent depth perception or terrible depth perception.......I cant tell with the shadow on the bumper.
    I'd go with terrible. Why, just why?

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  7. #3507
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    865
    It's either both or neither. The license plate didn't touch the wooden rail but I don't think there was more than a quarter of an inch in between.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  8. #3508
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmerz View Post
    Any Canadian owners care to comment on the shipping/duty/brokerage fees for getting one of these up to Vancouver? the web site mentions duty , but I thought NAFTA meant no duty on made in N.A products? Im pretty close to ordering one ( or the other 1upusa "mach 2" rack ) but am a little worried about being hit with a whopper of a shipping bill.
    Thanks!
    Yes you are going to get hit with a bill. One up will only ship with a courier so the courier charges a brokerage fee, usually $50-$70 whether there is duty or not. If they shipped usps to Canada post then there would be no charges. This goes with any online ordering that uses a courier like Fed-ex, UPS, etc.
    Even with shipping fees it is worth it. Give them a call and see if they'll send it in the mail.

  9. #3509
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    865
    I go up to Canada (southern Ontario) quite often. For a nominal fee I can make a personal delivery. LOL
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  10. #3510
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    I go up to Canada (southern Ontario) quite often. For a nominal fee I can make a personal delivery. LOL
    make it out to Vancouver and we'll talk! lol

    thanks for the input guys, sounds close to what 1up said to me. Duty free, but brokerage is up to the shipper , usually around $60. ish.

    I almost never order online or internationally, and the few times I have ive be pretty blown away by the surprise fees .

    Thanks for the info!

  11. #3511
    mtbr member
    Reputation: He1enKe1ler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    27
    I think the wife may be getting me the 1UP Heavy Duty Double for Christmas. Hope that's the case, I've been talking about ordering one for months.

    In the back of my head I have this weird worry that one of my tires will have a slow leak and go flat while on this rack though. Anyone ever had this problem?

  12. #3512
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    288
    Yes kind of. I pinched and had to drive home with a flat on my bike. If you have the arms adjusted properly it isn't a concern.

  13. #3513
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    137
    I have loaded up with normal pressure on my tubeless 29-er, so low/mid-20's (psi) pressure, and found a flat tire at the end of my drive. Bike still secure on the rack, but it's a concern ... especially with a road bike where the margin between loose and tight is only a click or two. We have the optional wheel locks and they add security for that situation.

  14. #3514
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by He1enKe1ler View Post
    In the back of my head I have this weird worry that one of my tires will have a slow leak and go flat while on this rack though. Anyone ever had this problem?
    This is the only drawback to this rack where the only part of the bike the rack touches are the tires. I've had this happen to me when I had one of those days where I just kept getting flats. I was on my fat bike and I haven't done the tubeless conversion yet so I was running tubes. The rear tube kept getting flats and I was running out of patches to keep it inflated. I had to drive to the nearest bike shop to pick up a new fat tube just so I can get air in the tire to get the bike home. I suppose if you keep a couple of velcro straps in your car you can always strap the rim to the tray if you're concerned with flatting out while on the rack.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  15. #3515
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    This is the only drawback to this rack where the only part of the bike the rack touches are the tires. I've had this happen to me when I had one of those days where I just kept getting flats. I was on my fat bike and I haven't done the tubeless conversion yet so I was running tubes. The rear tube kept getting flats and I was running out of patches to keep it inflated. I had to drive to the nearest bike shop to pick up a new fat tube just so I can get air in the tire to get the bike home. I suppose if you keep a couple of velcro straps in your car you can always strap the rim to the tray if you're concerned with flatting out while on the rack.
    I had a Yakima King Cobra 2 Roof rack and the method to secure was the front tire clamp. There were several times where I transported bikes with flats but the clamp mechanism stayed in place. for 1up the obvious solution as you suggest is velcro strap. but with better tires and rims for tubeless who gets flats anymore? i have not had a flat tire over 3 years. m

    but now that you mention it, I am going to put a bungy in the car for insurance.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #3516
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    167
    I use the wheel locks just in case, but I doubt the bike would get loose enough to come out of the rack even with a flat.

  17. #3517
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,737
    Yes, tires deflating can make an issue but the arm is up around the wheel as well. The bike would wobble more but it won't come out.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  18. #3518
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    36
    I am overly cautious on things like this, I would through on a bungee/Velcro on tires no matter what. No one else adds a second way to secure the bike on long trips? 30 seconds to secure 2 tires.

  19. #3519
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    288
    You are the type of person that would do this with any rack. I have had my rack for 3 years without a problem and the reason I got it was I lost a bike off of a T2. If you adjust your rack to fit your tires I can't see ever having a problem.

  20. #3520
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,697
    Quote Originally Posted by marcw View Post
    I am overly cautious on things like this, I would through on a bungee/Velcro on tires no matter what. No one else adds a second way to secure the bike on long trips? 30 seconds to secure 2 tires.
    as Levelheadsteve just posted above, there are wheel locks available and they go through the holes in the arms that clamp the tires. I have these, but only use them for security on road trips.

    for 99% of road & driving conditions I think the wheels stay in place as the tire flats without extra security.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #3521
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    20
    A friend of mine told me that he was traveling a bumpy road with bikes on his rack and the locking bar somehow dis-engaged from its slots, causing the rack to drop down to the "rear access" position. Has anyone else ever had this problem?

  22. #3522
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtbikologist View Post
    A friend of mine told me that he was traveling a bumpy road with bikes on his rack and the locking bar somehow dis-engaged from its slots, causing the rack to drop down to the "rear access" position. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    It absolutely cannot do this if you properly put it in place. That is solely user error. Also, there is a black knob that can be tensioned against the release bar to hold it in place. I rarely use it as it's a PITA to get to. After 5 years of ownership, two 1ups, and thousands of bike trips, this has never happened.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  23. #3523
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    It absolutely cannot do this if you properly put it in place. That is solely user error. Also, there is a black knob that can be tensioned against the release bar to hold it in place. I rarely use it as it's a PITA to get to. After 5 years of ownership, two 1ups, and thousands of bike trips, this has never happened.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    What he said....can't really see how this can happen other than the spring holding the "lock" got damaged somehow.

  24. #3524
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alta Racks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    11

    ALTA SIX does not lose bikes and manages off roading like a champ

    Vtbikologist- that happens more than reported. Almost all these racks have a single point of failure when it comes to safety. Unlike our rack. We have triple safety built in to the rack. Our rack converts to other sports and carries up to six bikes, no touch, no rub, and no loss bikes or rack. Made in Utah. check out the video on our website please. altaracks.com
    1up Quick Rack Quick Review.-20170622_110814.jpg

  25. #3525
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tonyride1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtbikologist View Post
    A friend of mine told me that he was traveling a bumpy road with bikes on his rack and the locking bar somehow dis-engaged from its slots, causing the rack to drop down to the "rear access" position. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    This has never happened to me and I don't see how it is even possible.
    2017 Diamondback Mason Pro
    2015 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet
    2015 Giant AnyRoad 1
    2016 Diamondback Catch 2

  26. #3526
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtbikologist View Post
    A friend of mine told me that he was traveling a bumpy road with bikes on his rack and the locking bar somehow dis-engaged from its slots, causing the rack to drop down to the "rear access" position. Has anyone else ever had this problem?
    I don't drive on bumpy gravel roads, I race them. I am that guy people are afraid to drive with and I never have had my rack disengage. I have seen this happen with other racks though. Usually with a pin style of disengagement.

  27. #3527
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    288
    On a recent road trip holiday I went to the back of my Jeep and found that one of my rear trays was starting to pivot rearward. Looking at it I found that the 15 degree plate had a broken piece that was the stop for the tray. This portion of the plate isn't very thick and It really got me mad to have had this happen. After some swearing and a little bit of deep thought I came to the assumption that this was my fault. I had been through a auto car wash the day before and the top wash roller had become stuck on my rack. My fault because I should have removed it before entering.. I tied up the tray and carried on my trip.
    When I got home I looked up the parts and went to order them, I remembered that 1up ships with a courier. In Canada the couriers charge us a brokerage fee on the back end. Usually $50-60. I emailed 1up, explained myself and after a few emails they agreed and sent my plate in the mail. I got it today with a $16 customs charge and will change it out tonight.
    In Canada I have never had as good of service with anyone in the bike industry, other of course than my LBS. Most manufactures don't care about their product after the point of sale. This is one of the reasons to buy a 1up rack.

  28. #3528
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Racks View Post
    Vtbikologist- that happens more than reported. Almost all these racks have a single point of failure when it comes to safety. Unlike our rack. We have triple safety built in to the rack. Our rack converts to other sports and carries up to six bikes, no touch, no rub, and no loss bikes or rack. Made in Utah. check out the video on our website please. altaracks.com
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170622_110814.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	1169609
    It may, but likely not. Your snub of another brand to help sell yours based on a story you can't confirm is, well...

    If these racks failed at that point, it would get reported to 1up at the least, and most likely plastered all over forums or review websites.

    This thread is most likely the single largest database of 1up user experiences on the net.

    This just doesn't happen without user error.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

  29. #3529
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyride1 View Post
    This has never happened to me and I don't see how it is even possible.
    I had it happen once. 1 up with 4 spots. Went around a bumpy right hand climbing turn at an intersection. The rack dropped to the low position. The back edge of the 4th tray ground down a bit.

    My hypothesis is that the locking bar did not seat completely. No evidence. I've just noticed that it can get bound 1/2 way out of the notch. Seems like the most likely scenario.

    My wife uses the locking nut. I just give the thing a few lifts to make sure the bar seats all the way. No problems since.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Members who have read this thread: 478

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •