Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Yuba Mundo Thread

195K views 376 replies 72 participants last post by  derekageorge 
#1 · (Edited)
Yuba Mundo is now a fully established cargo bike with many owners worldwide. Let's share our experience from riding her, loading her and upgrading her. Here is mine with a fixie in a tow, with a 1940 vintage S&K velocipede, parked at home next to a coat rack, and a detail of her winter shoe. Mine is stock V3 with a front rack, Avid bb5 upgrade and few small things to make the ride for my kids more comfortable. Post pictures of yours, show us the improvements you made on her...

Attachments

See less See more
#363 · (Edited)
Hello all. My first post.

I’m kind of old and don’t drive. I’m in Baltimore and I get around by bike and bus about 4 days a week. If everyone realized how well that works our buses would look like 3rd world city buses with racks and bikes all over them.

I recently bought a v5 mundo olive color frameset while it was $ 699 for a short time. Of course I won’t be able to use this meat wagon on public transportation but I don’t mind that.

It now has a Nuvinci n360 with the very old style large marge 36 spoke rim and a Vee Rubber 26x3.0 fatty Trax on the back. There’s still room in the frame and at the chain for a fatter tire but this works well for me.

I figure I go only about 8 mph, I’d go 9 but my huge grin really catches the breeze.

#366 ·
By the way, with fork and bare seatpost installed the frameset weighs right at 20 lbs. - not including the sideloaders bar which weighs an additional 3 1/2 lbs.

If there's any other info I can provide as I go, kindly just let me know.
How about some pics?

#368 ·
Love this thread (including the posts from the beginning).

I just joined the Mundo fam, acquiring a v4 last week. Now I am working on tricking it out to make it a good minivan replacement and wonder if you can point me to some good accessories.

You seem like a tinkering lot, and I aspire to join you. Any advice on avoiding the costly Yuba accessories. I like the look of Yuba's
1) bamboo boards and seat cushions (~$200)
2) handlebars / MonkeyBars for passengers/kids ($70-200)
3) panniers ($150+)
4) front rack
5) etc.
but the prices seem too steep.

The bamboo boards and cushions are easy enough to DIY. But any ideas for other stuff---either DIY or other brands that will fit.

I saw some mention earlier in the thread of a Dutch brand of a large front rack. I'm trying to track that down. Also it seems some people have gotten other bags that fit nicely. Looking for specifics like those!

I promise to post pix of my "final" set-up!

#369 ·
Front wheel wobble

Don't know how active this thread is anymore, but wanted to see if any of y'all had some advice for a problem I've noticed with my v5 mundo. Whenever I hit high speeds like on down hills or cranking it on flats, the front wheel/fork starts to get a pretty serious wobble. If you start hitting the brakes it gets worse, but there's no brake rub going on. I don't think the wheel is out of true, headset is tightened appropriately. I have a 2.8" beach cruiser tire on velocity rims with avid bb7 180mm disc brake set up on the front. One kind of unique and accidental thing I did was buy a thru axle (not thru bolt) hub, which I have mixed feelings about. It definitely seems sturdier but tightening it enough can be tricky. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the bigger tire and wheel that isn't designed for the frame or something else going on. I know the older versions had some weak front forks but the v5 has that heavy duty 1.5" steering tube. It's currently set up for cruising around town, but I do have some WTB rangers and can go tubeless, was thinking of maybe putting in a headset reducer and a dual crown suspension fork to turn it into a trail bike and felt that might be a more stable front fork situation, but there is probably an easier (and cheaper) solution. Anyone have some thoughts?

Attachments

#370 ·
Front wheel wobble

Don't know how active this thread is anymore, but wanted to see if any of y'all had some advice for a problem I've noticed with my v5 mundo. Whenever I hit high speeds like on down hills or cranking it on flats, the front wheel/fork starts to get a pretty serious wobble. If you start hitting the brakes it gets worse, but there's no brake rub going on. I don't think the wheel is out of true, headset is tightened appropriately. I have a 2.8" beach cruiser tire on velocity rims with avid bb7 180mm disc brake set up on the front. One kind of unique and accidental thing I did was buy a thru axle (not thru bolt) hub, which I have mixed feelings about. It definitely seems sturdier but tightening it enough can be tricky. I'm wondering if this is an issue with the bigger tire and wheel that isn't designed for the frame or something else going on. I know the older versions had some weak front forks but the v5 has that heavy duty 1.5" steering tube. It's currently set up for cruising around town, but I do have some WTB rangers and can go tubeless, was thinking of maybe putting in a headset reducer and a dual crown suspension fork to turn it into a trail bike and felt that might be a more stable front fork situation, but there is probably an easier (and cheaper) solution. Anyone have some thoughts?
Did you figure anything out yet? I too am interested in this because I'm building up a lux right now. I live at the top of a 26 degree hill so I'm definitely concerned about wobble down that hill.

Sidebar, what tires did you use? Looks good!

#376 ·
Hi there! Another member added to the Yuba family:D I'm the proud new owner of a Yuba Mundo lux in Olive green.
I hope there's still some life here:)

My planned set-up:
Mid-drive motor Bafang BBSHD, paired with a Rohloff E14 speedhub, Magura MT7 Pro Brakes front and rear.
It will also be towing a Croozer Jokke (Dog-Trailer) With my dog Lady. (About 30kg)
The bike is already fitted with the BBSHD right now, the brakes will probably come next month, and the Rohloff I'm waiting for an estimation on price/delivery date.
I use my bike for pretty much everything, riding to work daily, bike touring, groceries. (I don't own a car and don't want one anymore) This bike is perfect for that,
yes it's pretty long, especially combined with the trailer I'm about 3,5m long.. But the ride is very comfortable, I use a suspension seat post (Parallelogram) and upgraded the tires to Schwalbe Big Ben Plus (instead of the standard normal Big Bens) I've been riding these tires for a while in combination with Air Plus inner tubes, and I can't remember the last time I ran a flat tire.

I do run into some problems with the chain line until I get the Rohloff, I gues I'll just have to deal with that. I used to run 52T front, 11spd cassette in the back 11-46, but because of the wheel skirts (which i don't want to take off) the chain can't get high enough to get to the 5th (or lower) gears, so I switched to 44T, which gives me back some low end gearing, and the overall chainline is lower, which makes it possible to get up to the 3rd gear. I will try the original cassette, which is 9speed, tomorrow and see how that goes with both the 44 and 52T. (I am running a lekkie bling ring in the front by the way and never ever did the chain come off, I never snapped a chain, this is a real lifesaver for the BBSHD!) With my current settings the highest assist level puts about 1300 watts through the chain so, yeah!xD

(I'm from the Netherlands so mostly flat over here, which is why I can get away with not being able to use my lowest gears for the time being, it's not ideal of course but hey.)

I had to tape the speed sensor magnet to the crank and put the sensor beside the crank, because I didn't stop to think that the bike is longer....xD The original wire is not long enough of course, extension will arrive Tuesday so then that'll be fixed;) But this way I can at least just ride it for now.

If it turns out there are still people here and there's interest I can upload some more pictures with next post. Any tips, or questions are welcome!
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

See you on the road!🚲

#377 ·
Hi there! Another member added to the Yuba family:D I'm the proud new owner of a Yuba Mundo lux in Olive green. I hope there's still some life here:) My planned set-up: Mid-drive motor Bafang BBSHD, paired with a Rohloff E14 speedhub, Magura MT7 Pro Brakes front and rear. It will also be towing a Croozer Jokke (Dog-Trailer) With my dog Lady. (About 30kg) The bike is already fitted with the BBSHD right now, the brakes will probably come next month, and the Rohloff I'm waiting for an estimation on price/delivery date. I use my bike for pretty much everything, riding to work daily, bike touring, groceries. (I don't own a car and don't want one anymore) This bike is perfect for that, yes it's pretty long, especially combined with the trailer I'm about 3,5m long.. But the ride is very comfortable, I use a suspension seat post (Parallelogram) and upgraded the tires to Schwalbe Big Ben Plus (instead of the standard normal Big Bens) I've been riding these tires for a while in combination with Air Plus inner tubes, and I can't remember the last time I ran a flat tire. I do run into some problems with the chain line until I get the Rohloff, I gues I'll just have to deal with that. I used to run 52T front, 11spd cassette in the back 11-46, but because of the wheel skirts (which i don't want to take off) the chain can't get high enough to get to the 5th (or lower) gears, so I switched to 44T, which gives me back some low end gearing, and the overall chainline is lower, which makes it possible to get up to the 3rd gear. I will try the original cassette, which is 9speed, tomorrow and see how that goes with both the 44 and 52T. (I am running a lekkie bling ring in the front by the way and never ever did the chain come off, I never snapped a chain, this is a real lifesaver for the BBSHD!) With my current settings the highest assist level puts about 1300 watts through the chain so, yeah!xD (I'm from the Netherlands so mostly flat over here, which is why I can get away with not being able to use my lowest gears for the time being, it's not ideal of course but hey.) I had to tape the speed sensor magnet to the crank and put the sensor beside the crank, because I didn't stop to think that the bike is longer....xD The original wire is not long enough of course, extension will arrive Tuesday so then that'll be fixed;) But this way I can at least just ride it for now. If it turns out there are still people here and there's interest I can upload some more pictures with next post. Any tips, or questions are welcome! View attachment 1986500 See you on the road!🚲
can you say more about how you have hooked up this trailer? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.