Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Disabled Vet
    Wow... Well I hoe you have a great time,my friend,looking forward to reading all about it
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mr Walker, in relation to enquiries....

Hey Alan, Can you get your hands on any nylon nuts for that chain guide?
    I've got some but I'm not sure they'll hold that well.

Maybe you could just drill through the bolt, put a cotter pin and then a washer on top of that, and then the rollers, that way you don't need the steel nuts
    That's not a bad idea.

Was the chain rubbing all the time?
    Yep

What about just having the bolt with nothing on it?
    I tried that but its surprising how fast the chain wears away the nylon.

it seems like a few days in the bush will have that grease so full of sand that the rollers will just freeze up any way.
    The grease is actually lube build up, I didn't put any grease on the rollers at all.

You could install grease fittings though and strap a grease gun to that rig somewhere
    Looks like it works good. Is there any possible way to move your chain line out so you don't need that thing though? Custom rear cog or a spacer in the bottom bracket?
    For this version of frame I have to have a dog leg in the chain line because of the bottom bracket width. When I have a custom built frame I'll run a 100mm bottom bracket and have a nice clean chainline that misses the tyre.

Hey wait just thought of something! Instead of all that grease you could find a couple sealed bearings that would slide down onto that bolt. Then you would have the precision of ball bearings! If you found some way of getting some bristles on those rollers your chain would get cleaned as it went over them. Keep the pictures coming!
    I'll work on this (bearings)......promise.....lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mr Walker.....

Where you goin' man. How about some info so I can Google Earth ya!

Mate, you may find your rig a bit sketchy on the front wheel with all the weight on the rear like that.

Al's tip #1, if you do, hang a few rocks (or water bottles) from the handle bars in a bag to shift some weight onto your steerer.

Have a great trip.

How long do you think you'll be gone for?

How far between water stops?

We need more info, must have more info.....

Enjoy,
    Al

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_kevbo View Post
    The Mundo (and I assume other longtails) can be hard to lock up. Using a pair of #16 (1") Adel clamps, I was able to fit an AXA MTB frame lock to mine:
    Good idéa! I've thought about doing something similar with my Xtracycle - adding a lock on the front wheel.
    What is the dimension of the tire you are using?
    What are the inner dimensions of the lock?
    /Mikael

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post

it seems like a few days in the bush will have that grease so full of sand that the rollers will just freeze up any way.
    The grease is actually lube build up, I didn't put any grease on the rollers at all.
    maybe too much chain lube? You can always wipe off any excess, and anything on the outside of the chain is excess, so really, you can't wipe off too much lube.

just running the drivetrain backwards after lubing with a rag wrapped around the chain does a pretty decent job of cleaning things up.

Also, I'm curious if anybody has attempted to transport lumber with a cargo bike. specifically, I'm curous about a 4x8 sheet of plywood. seems like it would be quite cumbersome and potentially dangerous if there is any wind.

a bill trailer would work well if the wood were laid flat, but then you've got to build a box to hold it above the wheels.

Beastrider
    Just figured the YUBA fans out there might like these......
    You can pick whatever one you like and feel free to share it or use it as you see fit......

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member

Good job! Rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    Just figured the YUBA fans out there might like these......
    You can pick whatever one you like and feel free to share it or use it as you see fit......

Thanks Beastrider, where did you find these pictures? Would be cool on a shirt, or a sticker.

mtbr member

Back from trip early, ready for ridicule

I only did 105 miles, and my butt was so saddle sore I called my wife and asked her to come rescue, er, uh, provide logistical support. I used up my entire supply of Goldbond medicated powder (baby powder) trying to cope but it was no use. Temperatures were above 100 and I was just sweating and chafing out of control. I was not wearing bike shorts, instead I opted for basketball shorts under thick cotton cargo shorts.The pockets of my cargo shorts were laden with food and tools and camera etc. Bad idea I should have taken the bike shorts with the shammy. The next time I make like taco bell and run for the border I will definitely be wearing my bike shorts. I could have maybe rested a day and then continued on to the Colorado river/Califonia border which was my turn around spot but my butt was destroyed and I needed ice cold beer and pizza badly.
    My route was mainly the El paso gas line road that runs through Phoenix all the way into California somewhere. It is a pretty rough road in some spots with miles of washboard and ups and downs across alluvial areas. It turns out I did not need quite as much water as I thought, but I was riding into the unknown and was happy to know that my water carrying system worked well. The gear I chose (28/20) worked out great, there were only a couple times I had to dismount and drag the bike through some sand or up a steep section of hill. I was glad to have the handlebars on my seat post when that happened as they really help in handling the bike. They also helped to secure the load on the back. My single speed drive train was totally trouble free and worked beautifully.
    Alan the fat Yuba rider (the bike, not Alan) from down under pointed out that the bike might need some weight on the front for handling and he was right. I put an extra couple of liters of water up there for a total of 6. The handling was still not great but presented no real problems as I slid stuff as far forward of the rear axle as I could on the rack. Although I liked how my modified jerry cans worked out on the sides I think I will move to two 36gal Rubbermaid totes on the old wrap-around deck next time because the dual totes really keep the center of gravity low and the bike handles way better. All in all it was a great trip, despite being cut down to 2 and a half days. I left Friday night and called in for back up Sunday night. While I waited at the gas station on I-10 for my wife to pick me up I slammed, repeat slammed, a 40oz of super Ice cold beer and was like moaning and groaning and stuff. My wife had some pot-roast in the crock pot and some cabbage waiting at home, damn it was good. I will try to get some pics up but the site is saying I dont have security tokens or something. Is that like little wooden coins that say "security" on them?

More pics to follow

mtbr member

I found this little piece of wood that works great as a kickstand, My bike only fell over a hand full of times during the trip

I unloaded my bike and carried my stuff over this rickety bridge

G-Damn it! (that's what I would say every time this happened)
    I will post pic after pic of dirt roads extending to infinity on the bike-packing expedition thread.
    Last edited by Lone Desert Walker; 05-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    Thanks Beastrider, where did you find these pictures? Would be cool on a shirt, or a sticker.

Actually, I make this stuff. I just happen to like playing around on the computer to see what I can get it to do. Sometimes it works.....sometimes it doesn't!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    I only did 105 miles, and my butt was so saddle sore I called my wife and asked her to come rescue, er, uh, provide logistical support. I used up my entire supply of Goldbond medicated powder (baby powder) trying to cope but it was no use. Temperatures were above 100 and I was just sweating and chafing out of control. I was not wearing bike shorts, instead I opted for basketball shorts under thick cotton cargo shorts.The pockets of my cargo shorts were laden with food and tools and camera etc. Bad idea I should have taken the bike shorts with the shammy. The next time I make like taco bell and run for the border I will definitely be wearing my bike shorts. I could have maybe rested a day and then continued on to the Colorado river/Califonia border which was my turn around spot but my butt was destroyed and I needed ice cold beer and pizza badly.
    My route was mainly the El paso gas line road that runs through Phoenix all the way into California somewhere. It is a pretty rough road in some spots with miles of washboard and ups and downs across alluvial areas. It turns out I did not need quite as much water as I thought, but I was riding into the unknown and was happy to know that my water carrying system worked well. The gear I chose (28/20) worked out great, there were only a couple times I had to dismount and drag the bike through some sand or up a steep section of hill. I was glad to have the handlebars on my seat post when that happened as they really help in handling the bike. They also helped to secure the load on the back. My single speed drive train was totally trouble free and worked beautifully.
    Alan the fat Yuba rider (the bike, not Alan) from down under pointed out that the bike might need some weight on the front for handling and he was right. I put an extra couple of liters of water up there for a total of 6. The handling was still not great but presented no real problems as I slid stuff as far forward of the rear axle as I could on the rack. Although I liked how my modified jerry cans worked out on the sides I think I will move to two 36gal Rubbermaid totes on the old wrap-around deck next time because the dual totes really keep the center of gravity low and the bike handles way better. All in all it was a great trip, despite being cut down to 2 and a half days. I left Friday night and called in for back up Sunday night. While I waited at the gas station on I-10 for my wife to pick me up I slammed, repeat slammed, a 40oz of super Ice cold beer and was like moaning and groaning and stuff. My wife had some pot-roast in the crock pot and some cabbage waiting at home, damn it was good. I will try to get some pics up but the site is saying I dont have security tokens or something. Is that like little wooden coins that say "security" on them?
    well, sounds like a success, in most respects, to me. Congrats on staying safe and getting yourself to the point where you have an orgasm drinking a 40oz beer!

mtbr member

link to bike-packing post with more pics

mtbr member

Big ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things are happening at Lone Desert Labs. I just got two 36gal Rubbermaid Roughneck edition storage totes. These bad boys are huge! I am developing a special proprietary Lone Desert Mounting System (TM) to get these puppys mounted up securely. Will update when done.

These things are going to get my center of gravity way down where it belongs.

mtbr member
    Lone Desert Walker, how tall are you? I'm 6'3" and concerned, though only a little, about the one-size-fits-all frame.

For all who own Yubas, I already ride xtracycle gear on a conversion, so the dummy frame would be the natural next step, but the Mundo looks like it would do most things as well, and some things better. How does the Mundo handle singletrack/off-road?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am 6'2" and Yuba fits me well. I often ride her off-road with no issues. Of all cargo bikes I rode, Yuba handles closest to an MTB even with a big load ( I am talking hundreds of pounds). Depends on what you need it for. Big Dummy is lighter but cannot handle big loads compared to Yuba.

mtbr member
    Thanks, fox. That's good to know.

mtbr member
    I am 6'2" and the bike fits great. I would not worry about it. The bike handles great off road because of its long wheelbase. It has a Cadillac feel on the bumps and dips.

mucho aggro
    as of this afternoon, i'll be the proud owner of a v4.0 w. avid bb7's!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by amorphous View Post
    Congrats! You will love it!

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by amorphous View Post
    AWESOME news,Brother!!! Can't wait to see pics of it in use. Still planning/hoping/daydreaming about buying one of my own next Spring
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ordered my v4 frame near the beginning of june. They even created a fedex label for it, but I'm still waiting for it to ship. They said 3 weeks when I ordered, so that should be anytime soon.

I'm using 40 spoke tandem wheels w/ drum brake that I already have laying around. So no discs unless I buy new wheels or put on some 32 spoke rhynolite/deore wheels I have laying around.

For those of you adding disc brakes, the rear requires a 160mm front (yes I said front!) adapter and 185mm rotor. pretty strange, but that's what they say. front is conventional.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Got my v4 a week ago. Awesome capability.

Unfortunately, the rear derailleur had to be shimmed to work properly and the rear end tracks to the right whenever you ride the bike. Evidently, this has been an issue with the V4s. Checked that the rear wheel is seated in the drops, etc. The fact is, this frame is just plain out of alignment. No word from Yuba on warranty.

Anybody else noticed these issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    "the rear requires a 160mm front (yes I said front!) adapter and 185mm rotor"

This is what I did on mine. Used a 160 and an adaptor to take it up to 203mm. It simply didn't have the tab on my el-cheapo Chinese frame. Works well.

Al

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by george7117 View Post
    Got my v4 a week ago. Awesome capability.

Unfortunately, the rear derailleur had to be shimmed to work properly and the rear end tracks to the right whenever you ride the bike. Evidently, this has been an issue with the V4s. Checked that the rear wheel is seated in the drops, etc. The fact is, this frame is just plain out of alignment. No word from Yuba on warranty.

Anybody else noticed these issues?
    Are you using the 14mm axle wheel they provide?

if not, there's a bit of wiggle room to play around with a 10mm axle's position in the dropouts. I can imagine an eccentric 10mm to 14mm adapter that allows you to correct the misalignment.

I hadn't heard of anybody else complaining about the tracking issue. I hope this isn't a problem for mine. Unloaded, maybe not a big deal, but with a few hundred pounds on the back, I can imagine this being a substantial problem.

also, if you payed with credit card, you've got some leverage to encourage an amicable solution to the problem. This certainly brings peace of mind for me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the complete bike, so standard axle size. And yes, I paid with a cc so we'll see how it goes. So far, no response from Yuba or the dealer on the alignment. For the rear dérailleur they basically said it was SRAM's fault. So, we'll see where this goes ..

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast