Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby_kevbo View Post
    The surly is better made for sure.
    No doubt. I own a 1x1, 1x1=11, 3 Karate Monkeys, a Troll, 2 Pugsley forks, and my Xtracycle is running a 1x1 fork and Open Bars. Surly makes solid frames.

What I want, is for them to make a cargo bike frame that will eliminate the flex of the long, cantilevered design of the Xtracycle/Big Dummy with that open space between the rider and the cargo area. I think that the way the Kona Ute and Yuba Mundo tie the cargo platform and the seatpost together is a better design. Basically, Surly made a Big Dummy with an integral cargo platform (no P-Racks/V-Racks) with clearance for fat tires in 4130 steel I'd be all over it. Base it around the Pugsley 100mm Adventure Fork like Fox1965 used on his Mundo and in addition to regular 26" wheels & tires, it could do Endo/Larry it could do a 29er wheelset too.

When I added the cantis I found that the left brake boss was about 3-4 mm higher than the one on the right. Sure it still works and all, but is typical of the way the Yuba is made.
    Good to know. At the price point of the complete and/or frame, I guess that's to be expected.

I'm still tempted though!

mtbr member
    Belt & suspenders brakes
    Dude, that's hardcore, what're you hauling in that thing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Guys,

Here's a teaser for you. I was out on the weekend.

Enjoy.

Marvel loch cycling trip - YouTube

Bush types and gear on bike - YouTube

Al
    Last edited by alanm; 05-13-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added another link

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The Mundo (and I assume other longtails) can be hard to lock up. Using a pair of #16 (1") Adel clamps, I was able to fit an AXA MTB frame lock to mine:

Ant's eye view:

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    Dude, that's hardcore, what're you hauling in that thing?
    There is a grocery store I like that is at the top of a long fairly steep hill. I can top 30 mph coming home with a load of groceries, and there are traffic lights at the bottom of the hill on each of two steep stretches. The stock Tektro IO disks would stop me, but I could smell them while waiting for the light. The larger BB7s are an improvement, but the redundant arrangement on the front is mo' betta still.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good to know. At the price point of the complete and/or frame, I guess that's to be expected.

I'm still tempted though!
    You should be. There is something to be said for a design that is durable and good enough for the job at hand. There are a number of ways I can see to improve the Mundo, and all would raise the price and none would improve it's ability to haul heavy loads without breaking or crashing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey guys, I came to mtbr looking for setup advice for my Niner Rip 9, now I am on the cusp of buying my first cargo bike! I've spent a lot of time researching and I've settled on the Yuba. It would be used for errands/riding to preschool with my 1 and 4 year olds. What do you guys think of this setup:

I can't post images or links yet, so here is the flickr page, just fix the xxx to www , sorry.

xxx.flickr.com/photos/40100270@N06/4294835364/

I was thinking my 4 yo could ride on the back, the little guy in one of the boxes, throw groceries etc in the other bucket. Thoughts? Anyone doing something similar?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olasher View Post
    Hey guys, I came to mtbr looking for setup advice for my Niner Rip 9, now I am on the cusp of buying my first cargo bike! I've spent a lot of time researching and I've settled on the Yuba. It would be used for errands/riding to preschool with my 1 and 4 year olds. What do you guys think of this setup:

I can't post images or links yet, so here is the flickr page, just fix the xxx to www , sorry.

xxx.flickr.com/photos/40100270@N06/4294835364/

I was thinking my 4 yo could ride on the back, the little guy in one of the boxes, throw groceries etc in the other bucket. Thoughts? Anyone doing something similar?
    (It's tougher to post the photo when you've got it protected on Flickr)

Those boxes are huge!
    • Will that fit through the doors into wherever you'll store it?
    • Is it balanced? (weight, side-to-side)
    • Would a PeaPod or similar seat be better, with some panniers for cargo?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    (It's tougher to post the photo when you've got it protected on Flickr)

Those boxes are huge!
    • Will that fit through the doors into wherever you'll store it?
    • Is it balanced? (weight, side-to-side)
    • Would a PeaPod or similar seat be better, with some panniers for cargo?
    from my understanding that's illegal in georgia and I think quite a few other states.

just sayin'. don't shoot the messenger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Any ideas how to fit one of these;
    SideCar | Xtracycle, Inc.

to a Yuba?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    from my understanding that's illegal in georgia and I think quite a few other states.

just sayin'. don't shoot the messenger.
    can you elaborate a bit? Width?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=gumby_kevbo;9307431][IMG]http://kevbo.smugmug.com/Hobbies/bike-stuff/i-wR7B5xv/0/M/smugshot3243360-M.jpg

That's quality right there. If there were any real hills around here I would consider doing that too. Cantis are great.

mtbr member

What generation frame came green? Gen1?
    Those boxes are nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What generation frame came green? Gen1?
    Those boxes are nice.[/QUOTE]

Yuba Mundo V2 had a green option.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but making the boxes not quite so wide. They have some sort of a car seat for the young one, could probably save space by having the harness etc. built into the box itself.

mtbr member

Getting ready for desert expedition!

Ok, I am getting ready for a little trip across the west desert here in Arizona. I have slimmed down my unit by removing the wrap around deck and 22gal rubbermaid totes and Ihave added four 6gal water cans. The cans have openings cut into the tops so that 3 3liter bottles of water can be put into each. , I have about 25miles of bumpy dirt roads with this set up with no problems. So I will be carrying 36liters of water as a base supply with a few other liters here and there on the bike. So a little over 10gal probably. I am concerned with the weight being all on the side loaders and am thinking about a suport cable from the top of therack to the middle of the side loader between the cans. Also I am going to put a stainless steel hose clamp around the front area of the side loader bar between the two mounting bolts. I think it is a little sketchy to have all that weight on those two 6mm bolts although I have never heard of them breaking and I have seen a washer and dryer on the back of a Yuba before. I also ditched the 10lb stand alone kickstand and have not missed it since. I would have had to take it off anyway since I WENT SINGLE SPEED!!!!!!
    Yeah, thats right, single speed BIOTCH! What! What!
    I wont go into the whole single speed tirade here but those who know know. My drive train is now more pure and clean. I have fresh 26x 2.4-2.75 downhill thorn resistant tubes in each hook worm and will be carrying four replacements along with a couple patch kits.

mtbr member

I dont know why my pictures are small all of a sudden.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/picture.php?p...052808&thumb=1

I thought about using the 6 gallon cans but if one broke for what ever crazy reason I'd be out of 6gal of water. Can't have all my eggs in one basket right? The seven speed freewheel in the back is cool for the ghetto single speed because I can change gears every now and then if I want by manualy repositioning the chain. Since the wheel base is so long the chain line does not matter so much. Right now I am running a 28t up front and am on the 20 out back. this is a pretty good gear on softishdirt roads with lots of small ups and downs. I have a small bit of chain and a quick link I can add so that I can go 28t out back if the going gets insane. ONE TO ONE BABY!!! So my range is from 2 to 1 (28:14) to 1 to 1 (28:28) that is pretty good if you ask me. This set up will work for awhile until I get some other wheels laced up for fat yuba mode.
    Last edited by Lone Desert Walker; 05-14-2012 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mr Walker,

Are you INSANE man, who goes out into the desert on a bicycle?? HOW MUCH water are you going to carry??....Do you know how much THAT WEIGHS??....

Here's a couple of pics showing how I take a bit of strain with the side loaders.

Keep those gears handy, it gets to be hard work shifting that sort of weight up a hill and in the soft stuff. My rig weighed in at 110 Kg (including bike) when I went scooting off on the weekend. I added another 98 Kg when I hopped on!

How far are you going?

Enjoy yourself.

Al

BTW, Do you have a certificate to prove your insanity, mines 000666911, it really helps when people question my sanity and I can just hand it over.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Yuba Mundo Thread-side-loader-strap-2012-05-15_13-14-38_703.jpg  

The Yuba Mundo Thread-sied-loader-strap-2012-05-15_13-15-07_549.jpg  

Last edited by alanm; 05-14-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Alan, would you mind posting a detailed picture of that chain keeper you built? Do you have it also bellow the frame where your chain runs back? Thanx Fox

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Fox,

Here you go.

I made it out of nylon rod because it was all I had but it works so well I'm going to change it to steel next time I'm home. I'll keep the nylon rollers on the steel. Yes, it goes through to reach the bottom but it needs bending in a little at the bottom as it kicks the chain line out too far. I just welded 2 pre drilled tabs on, 1 at the top and 1 on the bottom. I put a piece of bar through them for allignment prior to welding, muffed it up a bit though but not too bad.

I've also put a link to a quick vid I shot off the phone.

2012-05-15_15-46-57_795.mp4 - YouTube

Cheers,
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Yuba Mundo Thread-chain-keeper-fox-2012-05-15_15-44-58_443.jpg  

The Yuba Mundo Thread-chain-keeper-fox-2012-05-15_15-45-19_582.jpg  

The Yuba Mundo Thread-chain-keeper-fox-2012-05-15_15-46-40_161.jpg  

The Yuba Mundo Thread-chain-keeper-fox-2012-05-15_15-46-47_909.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    no, carrying a child who is too young to wear a helmet.

I think I even read something about somebody trying to push enforcement of a law against carrying babies on a bike in portland and the parents of the kids pushing back.

mtbr member
    May 2011

I think I even read something about somebody trying to push enforcement of a law against carrying babies on a bike in portland and the parents of the kids pushing back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post

Gotcha, thanks. My youngest is right there, he's 1, I think he could probably wear a helmet now.

mtbr member
    Hey Alan, Can you get your hands on any nylon nuts for that chain guide? Maybe you could just drill through the bolt, put a cotter pin and then a washer on top of that, and then the rollers, that way you don't need the steel nuts. Was the chain rubbing all the time? What about just having the bolt with nothing on it? it seems like a few days in the bush will have that grease so full of sand that the rollers will just freeze up any way. You could install grease fittings though and strap a grease gun to that rig somewhere
    Looks like it works good. Is there any possible way to move your chain line out so you don't need that thing though? Custom rear cog or a spacer in the bottom bracket?
    Hey wait just thought of something! Instead of all that grease you could find a couple sealed bearings that would slide down onto that bolt. Then you would have the precision of ball bearings! If you found some way of getting some bristles on those rollers your chain would get cleaned as it went over them. Keep the pictures coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyh2 View Post
    Any ideas how to fit one of these;
    SideCar | Xtracycle, Inc.
    to a Yuba?
    In addition to the higher quality steel, I think this is one of the things he Big Dummy has going for it over the Yuba - ability to use easily-detachable WideLoaders and LongLoaders. Any Xtracycle or Big Dummy could take one of these, but I think you could make it work by welding two 25.4mm OD / 22.3mm ID tubes to the bottom of the Mundo frame, just fore & aft of the rear tire.

My ideal mythical cargo bike right now would be the front of a BD with the rear of a Mundo, but Xtracycle Wideloader-compatible attachment tubes...

mtbr member

Camping Mode!

Getting ready for 300+ mile of desert dirt roads rolling mostly self contained with maybe two water refill opportunities. Bike and gear weigh aprox 250lbs, I weigh about 165lb.

more pics to follow

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast