Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Problem with the freewheel after long winter with lack of servicing I was planning to put it to service next week, but unfortunately it did not last so long
    Reasons like this are why I avoided the complete. Fortunately, you can get bmx-style 3/8" to 14mm axle adapters and use a modern cassette hub. rear qr axles are 10mm and 3/8" is ~9.5mm, so you have to file out a bit of material, but it works well with a very tight qr (275 lb load plus my 190lb). Modern cassette hubs tend to be much longer lasting than multi-speed freewheels. and you have a wider range of gear options such as a 9sp 11-36t slx cassette.

If the freewheel is just siezing, a penetrating or other thin oil dripped in from the back side (best choice is to do this with freewheel removed from hub to avoid washing out hub bearing grease) will often make it happy for many more miles.
    Last edited by PretendGentleman; 02-28-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Developing Skillz

Good job!

Wow! I really like the idea of full fat yuba! Must have took all the tractor abilities from both worlds!

I like the idea of fat bikes and I also like cargobikes. This could be such crazy thing I would do myself if got the coin for it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I finally completed my fat Yuba. I used an old Surly fork with Surly tire in the front and NuVinci360 hub and Remerx Jumbo rim and Surly Endomorph tire at the back. The rear cog is 22 teeth Surly with the original Yuba crank and 42 teeth in the front (I could go as low as 40 teeth). This allowed me to move the chain enough to the right that it does not rub the tire. I had to keep the derailleur to keep the chain properly adjusted. The ride is perfect, you sit higher and kids at the back are happier (more cushioning from 4 inches of a tire). Suddenly the curbs are no obstacle to this monster. Snow, mud, grass, rock gardens - no problem!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Yuba Mundo Thread-yubasmall.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

clearance between chain and tire

clearance between chain and tire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Yuba Mundo Thread-p1000695.jpg  

mtbr member

Fat Yuba in the house!!!!!

Very nice Fox! How do you like the Nuvinci so far? I am building a Nuvinci360 wheel for mine too, just waiting on a hoop to come into stock. I dont know what those wheel skirts are but they look perfect on there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Sand transport

Transporting a sandbag remaining after Danube flood
    The Yuba Mundo Thread-yuba_sand.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Made a back deck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone ever mount a Rohloff IGH on their Mundo? If so I would love to see pictures.

OS RL

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The shifting range of NuVinci is smaller than a traditional set up but it allows for an unlimited clearance of the rear tire. The wheelskirts are a leftover from BoBike Junior Child Seat. Post a picture after you are done.

mtbr member

Fat Yuba in the house!!!!!

I got my Fat Yuba done and am loving it! I got my Nuvinci laced up but am not using it because I found something better! Single Speed!!!! 32/22 I posted pics on the Fatbike forum. here is the link: Fat Yuba is IN THE HOUSE!!!!

mtbr member

Nuvinci Hub with 65mm rims

What the heck happened to the Pictures on this website! They changed the way pics are uploaded again and now it sucks! Why cant a box open up that lets me choose pics from my computer? why does it have to be a stupid URL?

Computers are stupid, I'm going to go ride my bike!!!!!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member

failed attemp at posting photos

Message Failure
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi, anyone has an idea why pictures I posted on 06082013 do not show up anymore? They were visible for about two month and now this site only gives a message Attached Thumbnails-

mtbr member
    All my pictures are gone too. WTF!

mtbr member
    There is a sweet Yuba Mundo postsed on Ebay right now. It looks like it comes with all kinds of good stuff.

mtbr member
    Just checked it out :O Dang how can i make that much money ASAP LOL ?
    29" Tires looking to buy:

Schwalbe Big Apples
    Continental Travel Contact/Cruise Contact

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

The Yuba Mundo Thread

Finally got around to installing lighting I had purchased some months back. Seldom have the Mundo out after dark, but when I have I always cursed myself for not putting good light on it. That problem is now in the past.

Power comes from a Nordlicht bottle dynamo. I like hub dynamos a lot, but the Mundo wants a HD front wheel, lots of fat spokes, etc. which adds more cost and sourcing hassle beyond what is usual when adding a hub dynamo.

I fabricated a crude bracket from 1/8x1-1/2 Al. It mounts to the fork via two 5mm threaded braze ons Yuba conveniently put inside the left fork leg. I guess this might be for a torque arm on the electric assist version.

I made a couple light bends in the bracket to roughly match the radius of the fork blade. A couple layers of road bike tire soak up the difference. I had thought I might need to tie into the brake stud above the bracket, but it feels plenty solid without the added complexity. The braze ons stand proud of the surface of the fork. It is important that the tire layers are thicker than the shoulders of the braze ons, and have clearance holes large enough to clear the braze ons.

The headlamp is a Phillips Saferide. These are significantly better than the next best thing, and cheaper to boot. A pain to get, though, as Phillips doesn't import them to US.

Another hunk of Al and a couple of P clips secure it to the front of the basket.

No photos of the rear light. I am not real happy with how I mounted it. I can only claim that it works. Will update when I have done it decently.

Seems to work well. The bottle does add just noticeable drag, but nowhere near what I recall of the cheap stuff I had as a kid. I can hear some whine, but it is not all that loud. The Phillips lamp gives plenty of light. Seriously, you owe it to yourself to give one of the lights a try.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Today I was transporting new tires using my Mundo, two pictures:
    The Yuba Mundo Thread-pneu1.jpg
    The Yuba Mundo Thread-pneu2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet! Love it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What is the widest tire you can run without modification and being able to use all gears on the V4 front and rear?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    All I can tell is that Surly Endomorphe tire is too wide for a regular setup. 2.3" tires fitted just fine, fenders included.

mtbr member
    I ran 2.5 hookworms with just a tiny bit of rub in the lowest gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have Yuba Mundo with the "one leg" kickstand. It does its work but there are some problems when I am loading heavier things. I have two 50 liter boxes on the bike and the best way to load them is to put the heaviest things to the center of the gravity of the bike. Thats theory. But when I load the left box, content slides to the right side (and away from the center of the gravity) and sometimes also the whole bike falls to the side (but only a few, because the box itself blocks it ). The content of the right box slides to the desired side (to the frame) but when I put into it too much, the whole bike tends to fall- and on this side there is no stand to block it from this. So the whole process of the bike loading seems much more like acrobacy than like normal cargo bike usage

I am thinking about buying the Stand Alone Kickstand (Stand Alone Kickstand | Yuba Bicycles, Mundo Cargo Bike, Boda Boda Bike) which should grant horizontal position of the bottom of the boxes. One leg stand is rather stable when pressing the bike to the left side. Is it the same with the stand alone kickstand?

I saw some video where a man stood on the sideloader and the bike was stable. Is it really so? I have a daughter which now knows that she can only go to the rear carrier from the left side (with no risk of the bike falling on her).

What does the front wheel with the stability of the bike? Is it necessary to have some deflopilator to fix it in a stright position?

Thanks for responses.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    I have Yuba Mundo with the "one leg" kickstand. It does its work but there are some problems when I am loading heavier things. I have two 50 liter boxes on the bike and the best way to load them is to put the heaviest things to the center of the gravity of the bike. Thats theory. But when I load the left box, content slides to the right side (and away from the center of the gravity) and sometimes also the whole bike falls to the side (but only a few, because the box itself blocks it ). The content of the right box slides to the desired side (to the frame) but when I put into it too much, the whole bike tends to fall- and on this side there is no stand to block it from this. So the whole process of the bike loading seems much more like acrobacy than like normal cargo bike usage

I am thinking about buying the Stand Alone Kickstand (Stand Alone Kickstand | Yuba Bicycles, Mundo Cargo Bike, Boda Boda Bike) which should grant horizontal position of the bottom of the boxes. One leg stand is rather stable when pressing the bike to the left side. Is it the same with the stand alone kickstand?

I saw some video where a man stood on the sideloader and the bike was stable. Is it really so? I have a daughter which now knows that she can only go to the rear carrier from the left side (with no risk of the bike falling on her).

What does the front wheel with the stability of the bike? Is it necessary to have some deflopilator to fix it in a stright position?

Thanks for responses.
    I'm happy with the stand alone kickstand, but you can still tip the bike over. When carrying two shipping pallets home, I'd have to lean the bike against a wall after putting one on, since it would tip the bike without the other. The deflopillator seems like its important. If the load is big, you don't want the strange instability that comes when your bars suddenly turn. I can't say for sure and you could figure out a way to keep the bars facing forward just while loading the bike for the same effect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Get the StandAlone Kickstand. It definitely helps with loading. My kids are crawling all over the bike with it down. With most of the weight on the back, doesnt seem the deflopillator does much, but I have one anyway....

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast