Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Xtra-Cycle Fat bike conversion?

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  tractopelle 
#1 ·
Has an Xtra-Cycle Fat bike conversion been done yet?

I really like the idea of having two bikes in one!

#2 ·
75 views? .... and no one knows? hummmm.........
Can this be the next new market?!

I live at the beach, so a fat bike is next on my list.
I also have a very long beach ride planned ......
and the stock fatbike isn't a cargo bike,
but with a xtracycle type device made for the fat tires ......
then I could have the best of both worlds and doing it with only one bike.
this combo is as natural as peanutbutter and jelly!
am I missing something here? oh yeah the bread .... who's got that?

#3 ·
I'm with you...I made my Trek Transport Half fat with a 65 up front...and once I come up with the coin I'm going to put a snowcat in back making it 5/8ths fat...it oughtta fit a snowcat with a 2.35 in back...but I would love 65's front and rear with 3.0's mounted to them

#4 ·
No conversions done that I know of, but there are a few custom fat longtails floating around. Look up "Riding the Spine" Chupacabra for one. Another one was made by Banjo bicycles of Madison WI. I got to see that one, and it was pretty cool, though I would hate to use such a pricey frame in the winter, or along the ocean even more.

#5 ·
OP; I'm with you-I've got my Xtra and it eems it gts more and more road-ish as time goes on,keeping it at east rail-trail friendly,though-I've been thinking thoughts of a more singletrack/bike-camping specific build for a second builup myself...maybe not 3" fat,but 2.5" + or - (so I wouldn't nessesarily need anything custom). Be sure ot post up anything you find/do for the rest of us to drool over. Like the others said,check out ridingthespine/com for one source of inspiration :thumbsup:

#6 ·
#8 ·
Long & Fat

Has an Xtra-Cycle Fat bike conversion been done yet?

I really like the idea of having two bikes in one!
No bolt on freeradical conversions that I've seen, just the custom built or modified longtails like Chupacabra, the Banjo fat longtail bike and there was another guy in Minnesota I think who did some chopping and welding on a Big Dummy to squeeze a fat tire out back on the Dummy.

If you want both a fat bike and cargo hauling ability, there are also some folks that customized B.O.B trailers to fit the back end of a fatbike and run a bigger rear tire on the trailer for more float. Search the fat bike thread on that.

#9 ·
I feel like I'm looking at "history" when I see these two mentioned bikes. They are years old! and still nothing for what I'm searching for? Also they are solid one piece frame long tails, not an xtra-cycle style. There's reasons I want the xtra- cycle style instead of a solid extension frame, for one I get the short wheelbase back when I need it and two is that I can box up the bike for bus trips. (you'll notice my other thread about that). about all I can see in doing is finding someone with the skills and the passion to put this idea into reality. that Q problem and double chain method looked interesting. I wonder how it turned out? I can see that idea being adapted for this longtail bolt on conversion.

#11 ·
There's probably a reason you don't see fat Xtracycles... My gut tells me it would be crazy flexy and unresponsive. Have you ridden an Xtracycle? Putting 4" wide tires is only going to compound the flex. Don't get me wrong, I love Xtracycle and what they've done, but IMO, long-tails should be a one piece frame. ( <-- this is my opinion, please don't argue with me why I'm wrong )

Also, the trend seem to be going to smaller wheels on cargo bikes, not bigger.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
I have a Pugsley and an Xtracycle. IMHO, the functionality of both bikes would be negated by combining them. The Pugsley is nice because it's easy to pop a wheelie on, a skill I rely on in the winter. Attacking snow drifts, climbing up on stuff, etc requires the nimbleness of a mountain bike (fat bike). The handling of the Xtracycle is fine for street cruising, but it's not going to jump up on a curb with grace.

Of course the looks of the fat cargo bike are incredible, and if the appearance is what you're going for, then go for it. Just don't expect it to be an accurate presentation of what each style of bike is capable of.

#16 ·
I have a Pugsley and an Xtracycle. IMHO, the functionality of both bikes would be negated by combining them. The Pugsley is nice because it's easy to pop a wheelie on, a skill I rely on in the winter. Attacking snow drifts, climbing up on stuff, etc requires the nimbleness of a mountain bike (fat bike). The handling of the Xtracycle is fine for street cruising, but it's not going to jump up on a curb with grace.

Of course the looks of the fat cargo bike are incredible, and if the appearance is what you're going for, then go for it. Just don't expect it to be an accurate presentation of what each style of bike is capable of.
Jag, I hear what you're saying. I want the cargo capacity for doing cargo and touring, but I need it on the sand, hence the fat bike tires. I won't be mt'biken it, but that's the beauty of having it a bolt on xtracycle, I can convert it back so I can take it up into the Adirondack Mts, Two bikes in one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.