mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Wideloader weight limit?

So, I'm wantin' to pick up a 1/6 barrel (58 lbs) or 1/4 barrel (82 lbs) of beer and use my BD as transport. The majority of the weight would rest on one wideloader and to me this seems a little excessive for a piece of aluminum. I did a search for wideloader weight restrictions but came up with nothin' other than the combined 400 lb weight limit of rider and cargo. Anyone have any input on the weight limit of the wideloader?

I may be able to load the 1/4 barrel on the snapdeck since it's short and fat enough to be stable, but the 1/6 barrel is long and skinny and would only be stable one the wideloader.

And before anyone chimes in to tell me that having that much weight on one side is going to throw off the handling...I know, I know. I'm sure I'll be able to handle it, but just in case, I'll drink a bunch of beers at the brew pub to counteract the effect.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm not sure I've ever seen the weight limit published for those. I'm guessing there isn't one.

If it were me, I'd probably take 2 ratchet straps. Hook one end to the outside edge of the wideloader, then run it up and over the snapdeck, then down to the outside edge of the other freeloader. If you tighten it up a bit, you should transfer some of the weight on your 'weight bearing' freeloader into tension on the non-weight side. Or maybe just up to the V-rack...but in some way, I'd try to use straps to shift some of the weight off the wideloader.

Also, I would feel pretty confident with just 58# on the wideloader...that by itself wouldn't scare me. I've done that much with lumber and stone.

I'd also reconsider the snapdeck. With a few straps, just about anything could be secure up there.

mtbr member
    Since you are running a BD, I like using the built in footloop/pegs as lashing points if the strap is long enough, going over the top to the other side rather than tying off to the wideloader or v-racks.

I don't use wideloaders though, so take that for what its worth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Also, I would feel pretty confident with just 58# on the wideloader...that by itself wouldn't scare me. I've done that much with lumber and stone.

I'd also reconsider the snapdeck. With a few straps, just about anything could be secure up there.
    http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...le-aid-11.html

The snapdeck is an option for the 1/4 barrel. As you can see from the link, it's short and fat enough to sit atop it and be strapped down without beng unstable. The 1/6 barrel is a different story - it's just too long and skinny to stand vertically on the snapdeck and so would only fit lying down on the Wideloader.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong_Crosby View Post
    http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...le-aid-11.html

The snapdeck is an option for the 1/4 barrel. As you can see from the link, it's short and fat enough to sit atop it and be strapped down without beng unstable. The 1/6 barrel is a different story - it's just too long and skinny to stand vertically on the snapdeck and so would only fit lying down on the Wideloader.
    Why not lay it down on the snapdeck, and then run 2 straps around the snapdeck, V-racks and barrel? If you tighten the straps, it won't go anywhere.

Or perhaps even remove the snapdeck, and set the 1/6 barrel on top of the 2 v-racks, and strap it like that...should be even more secure (if you have enough tire clearance).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Can you bolt/clamp 2 long pieces of wood on either side of the snap deck? Sort of like wheel chocks. Then you'd have a groove to let the 1/6th keg lie on it's side in. Then strap down as needed.

edit: removing the snap deck and clamping the 1/6th down to the 2 parallel tubes like lawfarm mentions might be quicker. should sit nicely in the slot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Watch getting your weight up high. Is less stable up high. I've had 50lb loads on a single wideloader no problem. I wouldn't remove the snap deck for carring a load. It does give some extra overall support.
    You could use a couple short 2x4s attached to a peice of plywood about the size of the snap deck to make a craddle for a round keg. l run the black flight deck that clamps into place and makes for a sturdier rack system. I've had 140lbs steel storage cabinet strapped to the top of the flight deck. It was a 33 x 18 x 52. That was too much for that location and the long shape made it worse. That was a wild ride. Anyway get the 1/6 and the 1/4 to help balance out the load. One on each wideloader and keep it as close to the bike as possible. This way you are guaranteed to be LOADED...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This is an old thread, but the published weight limit for a wide loader is 60 lbs. This is off the the documentation I received with mine yesterday.