mtbr member

Where did all the big dummy frames go?

Figures that once I finally have enough cash to buy a big dummy frame on closeout, I can't find any! Does anyone know of any left? Anywhere? I finally have enough parts for a frame, and the $600 price point is such a sweet spot, compared to $1000 for a 2010. I did find a 16" but I feel it might be too small. I'm 5'10" 32" inseam, normally ride a 17.5 gary fisher. Is that too small or could it work?

Down South Yooper
    Treefort bikes is showing both 16 and 18" green dummies in stock. Black frames are due mid-november..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

PRETENDURO
    Xtracycle.com website has a few left of the greenies in 18" size (that’s where I ordered mine). Get ’em now while they’re still available!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    16" is definitely too small.

I'm 6'1", 185#s, and bought an 18" so both I and my wife could ride it. Were it me alone, I would'a sprung for a 20.

mtbr member
    I just discovered the same thing -- apparently there are no discount 22" Big Dummy frames available online anywhere. I may just have to go for a complete, but am not excited about the prospect of paying $150 for shipping!

mtbr member
    Treefort bikes does not have any dummy frames FYI. Looks like I am going to have to wait. Boo.

mtbr member
    Since I am not a patient person, I have started looking at the Kona Ute. Anyone with experience with both? I know the load capacity on the ute is less, then 700c vs. 26" wheels, then the ever popular steel vs. aluminum debate etc... But what is the general consensus of the Ute? Is it a solid bike, or should I just suck it up, wait, then enjoy the big dummy. I kinda have the feeling that if I shoot for the ute, I will just upgrade eventually to a big dummy.

mtbr member
    Hold out for your dream bike.

mtbr member
    See if Bikeman.com has your size in stock. I ended up ordering a complete on closeout for a very reasonable price.

I personally wouldn't want an aluminum frame for a cargo bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Big Dummies are going to be back around Interbike... 3 weeks or so away. They are different now though... Check the Eurobike KM thread in the Surly manufacturer's section of the mtbr forum here for a pic.

mtbr member
    Interesting look to the new dummy. Not sure how I feel about it.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by RekibTaf
    Big Dummies are going to be back around Interbike... 3 weeks or so away. They are different now though... Check the Eurobike KM thread in the Surly manufacturer's section of the mtbr forum here for a pic.
    “Rumour” has it that the new Big Dummy bikes will be equipped with cheaper, lower-end components so as to “break” the $2K barrier… in attempt to sell more of them (so if you can still find the current one with the “better, not-so-cheap” components, snap ’em up now!)
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

banned
    Aug 2010
    new dummy sounds good,but I'm not sure

PRETENDURO
    Wow, now even Xtracycle’s website doesn’t list any Big Dummy bikes as being available. Guess they’re gearing up for the new ones.

mtbr member
    The ONLY Big Bummy that is left is the black 16". According to Surly, we wont see the others back until Mid-November. We'll see, I'm off to interbike in a few weeks, hopefully I can get some info for you guys.

-Adam
    Adam • Ann Arbor, MI

Down South Yooper
    Any word on which frame is expected in November, the last run of the curved TT or the new ones? I suspect that it's a bit early for the new ones, but what do I know?

Plum

Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    The ONLY Big Bummy that is left is the black 16". According to Surly, we wont see the others back until Mid-November. We'll see, I'm off to interbike in a few weeks, hopefully I can get some info for you guys.

-Adam
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Gotta say, I really prefer the curved top tube of the current BD vs the new straight TT with support bridge. And the older version had a much better component spec. Bikeman has the 18" black version in stock for $1652.89. That's a steal.

mtbr member
    Depending on the new price of the new big dummy, I might just spring for an xtracycle conversion, and run that until next years closeout prices. I'm curious to see if the new frame design will lower the price, since it looks like the majority of Surly's other frames. I'm sure prices will be out towards the end of this month? Interbike?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any hints about 2011 BD frameset pricing?

Considering all major bike makers increased prices for 2011 I am not sure what to expect. And 2010 models are running out so I need to make a fast decision.

And also: here in Europe recommended price for frameset only is 950 EUR (1232 USD) so you shouldn't complain about pricing

For this money I can get airplane ticket + bigdummy

- primoz