Just Ride!

Where to buy long chains

Hey Guys,

I was wondering where do you source replacement long chains for your cargo bikes? Need to purchase replacements soon.

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Where to buy long chains

Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire View Post
    Hey Guys,

I was wondering where do you source replacement long chains for your cargo bikes? Need to purchase replacements soon.

Thanks
    Same place you buy any chain. Buy more than one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Buy several chains, connect them with the included master links.

I believe that KMC and SRAM make '29er length' chains that come with a few extra links for longer chainstay full suspension 29ers with big rings and big cogs but they wouldnt be long enough for your cargo bike.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Same place you buy any chain. Buy more than one.
    I bought a KMC chain which was a long one piece unit and only needed one master link for my BG a while back but for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it. Looks like i'll go that route. Thanks for the info.

Where to buy long chains

Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire View Post
    I bought a KMC chain which was a long one piece unit and only needed one master link for my BG a while back but for the life of me I can't remember where I bought it. Looks like i'll go that route. Thanks for the info.
    You might be able to find an LBS that has a roll of bulk chain. I used to work with it. Fun loading a new 70-80lb spool in the rack.

But there is nothing wrong with using multiple connector links (they are NOT master links) in a chain.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ok, i'll bite on this one... Why are we all going with master links, connector links, and other special ones? A chain-breaker tool isn't THAT hard to use, and does the same job. While there's no reason you CAN'T have more than one master link in a chain, why not just connect two chains normally with a chain tool, and leave the one master link to make on/off a little easier?

If you keep track of which chain you buy, you should be able to save the extra chain to use the next time... one full new chain plus some of the left-over chain from this new one.

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Ok, i'll bite on this one... Why are we all going with master links, connector links, and other special ones? A chain-breaker tool isn't THAT hard to use, and does the same job. While there's no reason you CAN'T have more than one master link in a chain, why not just connect two chains normally with a chain tool, and leave the one master link to make on/off a little easier?

If you keep track of which chain you buy, you should be able to save the extra chain to use the next time... one full new chain plus some of the left-over chain from this new one.
    Yes, it is a simple process to use a chain tool but the connector links were included when I bought the chain so I might as well use it. Oh yeah, that last chain was one long piece and the length was perfect( to me at least) so no extra on that one.

Where to buy long chains

Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post

Because modern chains are not made to be connected by pushing a pin back in (unless it is a special connector pin like Shimano uses). If you do it, that link is much weaker and will fail in the near future.
    The connector/quick links are easy and strong.

Master links are only used on chains for non-derailleur drivetrains. Not the same as the derailleur chain connectors.
    mtbtires.com

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Where to buy long chains

Agreed, i never put a pin in with a chain breaker, only remove. I learned the hard way, chains have a knack of breaking during the hardest hammer on your ride. Fun stuff.

I wondered if it was 10sp chains, or simply lighter modern chains. Not something you want to experiment with however.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Unless it does kill you, in which case, you wouldn't be here to dispute the point.

Where to buy long chains

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Agreed, i never put a pin in with a chain breaker, only remove. I learned the hard way, chains have a knack of breaking during the hardest hammer on your ride. Fun stuff.

I wondered if it was 10sp chains, or simply lighter modern chains. Not something you want to experiment with however.
    Started with 8-sp chains. The pins are peened/flared to prevent (reduce) link separation. Push out the pin, the peening is broken and can not be redone.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There are so many online shop about long chains , just find a professional one, the all equipment of mine are from it