Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wheelset for big dummy..

What wheelset are you using?? I've got a set of racing wheels, but under the weight of the dummy and cargo, it's just to much for the wheels.. Give me some feedback guys!!

Down South Yooper
    XT hubs with Sun MTX33 DH rims, 36 hole, double butted DT spokes and brass nipples. Haven't touched them since I built them. Have had in excess of 400 lbs rider and cargo and no issues.

Go big from the start, or you'll be upgrading later.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

PRETENDURO
    Lowly XT hubs mounted to 65mm (2.5") wide Surly Large Marge DH rims. Mated with 26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm tires @ roughly 25psi, they provide a very sure-footed ride on seemingly all conditions, including up semi-steep (8% grade) loose gravelly hills. Cornering confidence is boosted eleventyfold over the anemic 2" Schwalbe Big Apple tires on skinny Salsa Gordo rims.

At just a few hundred miles, the rear XT hub pawls have been slipping, so next up is lacing up a Hope Pro II hub in it’s place.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    front:

schmidt SON28 dyno disc hub
    dt 14g straight gauge spokes
    32 3x
    brass nipples
    wtb speedisc XL (32mm wide) rims
    hookworm
    slime tube

rear:

rohloff

dt 14g straight gauge spokes
    32 3x
    brass nipples
    wtb speedisc XL (32mm wide) rims
    hookworm
    slime tube

about the heaviest set of wheels I have ever laced...

and bomber.

Devo
    xt hubs
    WTB LaserDisc DH
    36h 3x brass nipples

I went thru 2 other wheel sets before this set. Obviously this is where I should have started.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Sunringle singletrack rims
    Deore hubs
    36h 3 cross

Skinny 26x1.5 forte tires, soon to be possibly Hookworms...

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011

Dumm Wheels

Hand built, Alex DM24 rims, 36 spoke, 3 cross, 14g, brass nipples, surly disc front hub, XT rear.

I've mean amazed at the loads and abuse these wheels have taken with out flinching and with out (knock on wood) needing to be touched up.

The Dummy is currently on loan to a friend on an AK backcountry caribou hunt.

mtbr member
    Wheels laced up by CycleMonkey with:
    WTB Laserdisc DH rims
    Sapim strong spokes, black
    brass nipples, black
    Rohloff rear hub, black
    Deore disc 32h front hub, black
    Rolling 2.35 inch Schwalbe Big Apples

The wheels are ridiculous strong, but I weigh in at 235#s and do throw 200+#s of cargo on the rear occasionally with no hesitation.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Xt hubs 36h to Sun Ryno lights 14g strait spokes and brass nipples, all silver. Picked them up new on EBAy for $150 re tensioned them and they have been perfect for several years. I Run the 1.5" big apples and these tires are several years old and still show no sign of wear.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think you should be seeing a "strong" trend here in these posts. He, he...

Like most people here I went with a strong and wide rim, the WTB LaserDisc DH rims and used Sapim 13g spokes (stronger than "normal" 14g or above spokes, custom ordered from ebikes.ca). Rear is Rohloff. The whole thing is black (Rim, Spokes, Nipples, Hub).

The front is the same (although not holding the load for your rear end) except the hub of course which in my case is currently an electric assist hub made by nine continent. I may however lace up a 3rd wheel so I can drop out the electric wheel when I don't need, so I'm interested in this "poll" as well! (I ordered 3 WTB rims from the start so I could do this and in case I kill one...)

- Ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Front is SON dynohub laced to Rhynolite rims, 36 hole, bitted spokes. Rear is a Phil Wood cassette hub, 32 hole, also Rhynolite, butted spokes. Peter White built them so I went with his recommendations on the spokes. The hubs I had, so the 36/32 was a given.

mtbr member
    I started out with a couple of wheels I had laying around. The front is an old Araya Rm-17 with Deore XT hub, 32h. The rear was originally an XT hub with 7 speeds, and a Ritchey Vantage Comp. The rear wheel needed a bit of straightening periodically, but seemed to hold up fine for the two months I ran it. I then put on a Nuvinci rear wheel that had a cheap, but wide xc rim. After putting a couple thousand miles on it, replacing the chain once, and truing it a handful of times the spokes gave out. I was breaking a couple a day, and so I rebuilt it with Rhyonolite, and 14g. DT spokes. I haven't had to touch it in the two months since I rebuilt it. I just checked it today, and it's running as straight as it was when I built it.

Beetlejuice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Lowly XT hubs mounted to 65mm (2.5") wide Surly Large Marge DH rims. Mated with 26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworm tires @ roughly 25psi, they provide a very sure-footed ride on seemingly all conditions, including up semi-steep (8% grade) loose gravelly hills. Cornering confidence is boosted eleventyfold over the anemic 2" Schwalbe Big Apple tires on skinny Salsa Gordo rims.

At just a few hundred miles, the rear XT hub pawls have been slipping, so next up is lacing up a Hope Pro II hub in it’s place.
    Any pics of this?

Also curious if you think the new 'light' Marge version would work...weight diff is significant.
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    XT Hubs, Mavic XM321 rims, straight gauge spokes, black nipples, Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" tires.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Solrider View Post
    Any pics of this?

Also curious if you think the new 'light' Marge version would work...weight diff is significant.
    No, interestingly enough. I will have to take pictures when there is some sunlight—my garage is pretty dark and crowded with bike stuff. I took some pictures a while back while voiding my warranty in order to fit Duro Razorback 26"x3" heavyass knobby DH tires onto the same Large Marge rims, it looks pretty scary. With the “skinny” (by comparison) 26"x2.5" Maxxis Hookworms no modification should be necessary for fitment.

As for the “light” Marges, I personally wouldn’t go with single-walled rims for hauling heavy stuff. I have faith in the concept that the double-walled Large Marge rims will have plenty of strength and that they will not fail any time soon.

At the moment, in “light” mode (sans cargo/kids/etc.) I am estimating the weight of my Big Dummy to be around 90 pounds (I am carrying 30 or so pounds of lead-acid batteries for powering my truck horns), however, with my kids in tow (one kid on the deck + one kid on a Burley Piccolo) I think that adds another 75 pounds. We take the setup on some semi-easy singletrack and fire roads, as well as loading up 40 or so pounds of groceries on it when we do shopping errands.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am happy with the Salsa Gordo rims that came on my 2011 complete, and very happy with the Continental Town and Country tires. I've hauled quite a bit of stuff and both have been fantastic throughout. I think Surly did a great job specifying those parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A good deal for a rear wheel IMO would be a Transition Revolution 32. It uses a 10mm thru-axle and beefy as hell rim and thick spokes. It's a FR/DH wheel. The front is 20mm (might be adaptable to 9mm) though. I would use a more XC front wheel and a DH rear wheel.

PRETENDURO
    Alrighty then! Finally remembered to take pictures of my Big Dummy wearing the awesome-oh-oh-OH combination of Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" tires on Surly Large Marge 2.5" wide DH rims:

mtbr member
    LP- your dummy makes me happy. Thank you.

Devo
    I always dig this LM's and hookworms on a BD...
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Beetlejuice!
    Thanks for posting the pics LP, I really like your setup!
    "too weird to live, too rare to die" - HST
    "Oh Gravity, thou art a heartless *****" - Sheldon

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wheels for my BD I only have a pic of the front but the rear looks like the same only with a cassette on it and a pic of my Brooks Saddle for it too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wheelset for big dummy..-100_0041.jpg  

Wheelset for big dummy..-100_0043.jpg  

Wheelset for big dummy..-100_0046.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Alrighty then! Finally remembered to take pictures of my Big Dummy wearing the awesome-oh-oh-OH combination of Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" tires on Surly Large Marge 2.5" wide DH rims:
    Now where is the youtube of you sounding those horns?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
    Now where is the youtube of you sounding those horns?
    I don’t think YouTube effectively captures the obnoxious-icity of them. Much better in person. I would like to get a higher-pressure pump though, this 12V one overvolted @ 24V surely won’t last long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The wheels I have on my BD will be replace soon with Chris King Heavy Duty Hubs.I have stop trying to save a few bucks here and there.Now I only want the best I can find.The bad part is I will need 3 sets of Chris King hubs for all of my bicycle. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast