Cars Are Evil

Whatchamacollars

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to need any Whatchamacollars for
    my Big Dummy. Are the racks normally just slipped inside the frame's
    tubing, and the Watchamacollar clamps that junction? Does that mean I
    would need 4 of them to make the rear rack solid and not let rain and salty road-spray in?

Is there something else that would work? $35 for what looks like a pair of seatpost clamps is pretty pricey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can go with the easy fix of heat shrink tubing placed over the junctions. An old tube can work as well. Slip tubing a couple of inches above and below the junction, then hit it with a heat gun. Way cheaper than the collars. That should do the trick and keep out the crud.

Cars Are Evil
    I went ahead and ordered two pairs. I'm putting a child seat on it and I want it solid. Too busy with business and family to screw around trying to rig something.

Down South Yooper
    In short, yes you want to bolt the racks to the frame if you're carrying kids, heat shrink and inner tubes won't do anything but keep the water out, no restraint IMHO. There's a thread here:

DIY Whatchamacollar anybody?

That goes through some alternatives. Bmx two bolt collars and handlebar shims have been working fine for a year for me, and cost less for all 4 corners than a pair of whatchamacollars.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!