mtbr member
    Jun 2010

what do you think about this as the starting point for an xtracycle build?

Specialized Bicycle Components : Hardrock Comp Disc

Specialized Hardrock. The components aren't great but the price is right and there are some things I like about it. BB5's for a start, easily upgraded with BB7's. My biggest choice for an xtracycle vs. a Big Dummy is that I can build the bike up bit by bit.

mtbr member
    I would ask the shop to swap the suspension fork out for a rigid fork at the time of purchase. That fork is too heavy and low end to be worth the bother, and I doubt you'd be happy with the handling of the fork when you attach an Xtracycle.

The only other thing I would be worried about is the relatively low-end derailleurs and shifters. I'm not sure how well they would hold up to heavy loads, if you plan on really using the Xtracycle a lot. They'll probably be fine for a while, but I think you'll find the rear derailleur and shifter will wear out a little faster than a better spec would. Not a big deal, but it's something you might have to replace in the near-ish future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    SSSasky,

You're right about the fork and that isn't something I was thinking about. As far as the shifters, derailleurs, etc. I already have some better components and SRAM X7 stuff is pretty cheap. I want a cargo bike but don't really want to drop $1500 or more all at once for a Big Dummy. Plus Xtracycle is running a sale right now!

edit: I live in a small town, nothing is far away so not durable components won't get too worn out before being upgraded.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I guess I would wonder why you're buying a NEW bike to xtra cycle, especially if you're going to then upgrade/replace many of the parts anyway.

Why not just get something used off of ebay or save your pennies for a few more months for the big dummy?
    I write for the Dusty Musette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It is a used bike, a 2008.

wants a taco
    I would swap the fork to a rigid (Xtracycles put a much larger % of load on the front wheel because of moving the rear wheel back) as well but other than that the bike should be fine, if you plan on carrying massive loads often the wheelset might not hold but even that will take a while.

I would not worry much about drivetrain as long as it is in good working order. Shifters see absolutely no additional load being on a cargo bike and the only additional load on the derailer is having to hold a longer chain taught which should not be a problem what so ever..
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would look for an 80's rigid MTB for the conversion off of craigslist. $100 should find something decent.