Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Want cargo bike...size?

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  XJaredX 
#1 ·
Hey all!
I have wanted a Big Dummy for the longest time! There are two currently that are in my price range, but is an 18" newer BD too big for a 5'3" female?
I have a 16" Pugsley and a 51cm Casseroll, both fit really well although I did have to put a shorter stem(45) on my pugs because stock was too stretched out.

One I am looking at is a 16" with the swoop TT in army green(I like this one more color wise, look wise, and it has the wooden boogie board and brooks leather saddle and grips) but it is $1600 and I will have to ship it to NE.

The second one is a 18", newer drop TT(like my pugs) and has the same rear bags but with the plastic? Boogie board and the guy made frame bags for it and it has a Surly Nice Rack on the front also. I can drive 8 hours to get this one AND it is $1000.

There is also a Trek cargo bike on my local CL, here in Lincoln but it is a LG size(has lowered TT like 9zero7 frames do so I think SO is fine but reach might suck) but I am not crazy about aluminum for frames. I sortof am a steel lady.

So? Size for cargo bikes......same as regular bikes? They fit about the same? I plan to go carefree eventually, so this is a long term investment for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a Big Dummy, same size as my Pugsley (20") and it honestly feels a little smaller. I was considering going a size smaller to make it easier to get on and off, so glad I didn't.

Both are the "new style" frames, 2012-13(?) Big Dummy and the most current year Necromancer (2013?)

#3 ·
The drop tube one is the same year as my Necro, a 2012. The swoop tube one is a few years older. My pugs is close SO wise, if they had made 14s when I bought mine, I would have went with smaller. I have switched out the stem on my pugs for closer reach, I was too stretched out with stock. Not unmanageable and I wouldn't say it is uncomfortable or I would sell for smaller anytime soon. Just top end of fitting. If the BD fits smaller, then maybe the 18" would work? I think it might come down to reach?

The 16 army green one has an IGH. Which I think is why the price difference. This won't be easy......
Do you like your BD? I have a home daycare so I HAVE to drive to haul kids to school(no bike fits 6 kids!) but I don't drive any other time except groceries & errands. I so wanna park the van. I hate driving! I had thought about racking the pugs but worry about theft while locked up. And my Casseroll wouldn't handle milks and soda cubes and the massive amounts of food the kids eat in a week.

#4 ·
I do like it very much. With my four year old on the back in one of those Yepp seats that XtraCycle sells, I still have a fair amount of rack room, otherwise I've been ok using the bags on the side for groceries. I don't use it as much as I'd like to (hopefully more when we move) but if I was using it more, I'd be spending money on the WideLoaders to maximize my hauling capability.

#5 ·
Green one gone:( sadness. I go to ride the Trek that is probably too big this evening(local, good price, why not?) and am mulling over the 8 hour one way trip to AR for the 18" BD.
Of course, there is always the option to buy new from my shop. And I might just do that. They take 20% down and 6 mos to pay it off. So even though it would be a bit out of my budget now.....spread it over 6 mos(geeze, I suck at waiting!) and the extra won't seem so bad.
I have about $1500 to spend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.