Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Voulez-vous rouler avec moi ce soir ?

17K views 71 replies 21 participants last post by  Agent Koala 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello to all !

After a few months of reading posts of this forum & taking notes, I'm ready to introduce myself :
My name is Alex, I'm 28 y-o & come from France (excuse my english !). About 6 months ago, I found accidentaly the cargo bike forum. Found some photos of Big Dummies, liked it & decided to learn more about these weird bikes !

After a long thinking, I decided to go ahead & finally buy a f****** Big Dummy ! I was motivated by the facts that :
1. I recently crashed my car (sometimes, old people shouldn't drive...).
2. I'd like to make a big tour in northern Europe, there's a lot of countries out there I'd like to discover.

So in mid-june, I received a big box & then, I started to build my new bike !

The building :
- 2011 Surly Big Dummy
- Wideloaders
- Longloader
- Rolling Jackass centerstand
- Flight deck
- 2010 freeloaders
- Jones aluminum loop H-bar
- Ergon GP1 biokork grips
- Deda leather handlebar tape
- Crane bell
- Crankbrothers 50/50 pedals
- Brooks Flyer Special saddle
- Woody's sexy fenders
I think that's all...

Bad news during the building : the bike had an impact during the transport & I wasn't able to mount the headset (for a $600 shipping, thank you FedEx !). But a few hammer strokes & the problem was solved...

Didn't know flat pedals but now, I love them !

Loop H-bar + Ergon grips + leather tape = yeah baby !

Well, riding the Dummy is really pleasant. Great feeling since the first time. The length of the bike is not disturbing at all. You just have to take care of the width when riding with the wideloaders for the first time ! So now, it feels kinda weird when I take my other bike (a 2010 Scott Aspect) : it feels like I'm riding a kid bike ! Funny...

Now, I'm looking with envy at some Large Marge rims & maybe 2,5" Hookworms tires. But I think it could be too much tiring for a long distance... I think I'll wait a little more time before trying it...

That's all for the moment ; it's nearly 2am here in France & it's too late for me to (trying to) speak in english ! Better for me to come back later.

So good night for those who sleep & see you later everybody.
Alex

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you !

Effectively, the H-bar is very comfortable. I really appreciate to be able to use different hand positions.

The next upgrade will probably be a light system. I'd like to power both front & tail lights with a dynamo hub. The ideal configuration for me would be a single I/O button for both lights & a system (probably something like a capacitor) for the lights to stay on 1 or 2 minutes when I stop at a traffic light for example... So I'm trying to find some examples of DIY bike lighting systems to see what I could consider to do... If someone already did it, advices are always welcome !

Have Fun:thumbsup:
Don't worry about that !

PS : I think I didn't understand well the "Attach files" function ! Have to look closer how it works !

#8 ·
I know, but I've seen that after having come back. I should have opened the box & built up the bike in their warehouse to check it !

Well by chance, it was just a piece of the headset. Not a big deal. If necessary, I could just buy another one & replace it. But trust me, it's quite frustrating when you discover that you won't be able to ride your bike right now !

#9 ·
Hi everybody,

As I said before, I bought my Big Dummy in order to make a tour across northern Europe next year. I currently live near Bordeaux (west coast of France) & I'd like to go to Finland where one of my cousin live. I plan to cross the north of France, then Belgium, Nederlands, a little part of Germany, then Danemark, Swenden to Stockholm & finally a boat to Finland (Pori exactly). I want to start this trip when the good weather will start to come here (something like april or may) & want to take my time to do it. Don't want to hurry, if I want to stay a few days at a place or make a detour, I'll do it... For the return, we'll see... Why not Sweden-Norway-boat to UK-Ireland-France...

So now, I have a million things to think about, to buy, to tune, to prepare, etc.
I'm reading through many threads here on MTBR & could pick some useful advices & good ideas. Here are some things I'm thinking about right now. If you have some advices, some tips, some links, feel free to share them, I'm probably not the only one interested in that...

- Wheels : I currently ride with the stock Salsa Gordo rims + Conti Town & Country (2,1") tires. It feels quite good for me but maybe I can find better (I'm curious about the Schwalbe Marathon). I'd like to try the combo Large Marge + 2,5" tires but I think it could be a bad idea for a long trip...
For the front : I'm looking for a dynamo hub to power both a front & 1 or 2 rear lights. Shimano makes many models but I don't really realize which one would be the most appropriate...
For the rear : I was interested in an internal gear hub but I don't think it worths it. First because if something breaks on the road, it will be hard/impossible/expensive to repair it. If my derailleur break, I can ride with just 1 sprocket if needed ; if the Alfine or the Rohloff is broken or blocked, it may be impossible to continue to ride... More : it seems that with an IGH, you can't have more than one chainrig & even with a 14 speeds Rohloff, I won't have enough speeds to have a comfortable ride... So no IGH for me...

- Brakes : The Dummy is equiped with Avid BB7. Really don't like it ! First, I don't know why but the front disc is rubbing against the caliper's fixation :

My other bike (a 2010 Scott Aspect) has hydraulic brakes (Tektro Auriga) & I love them ! Just have to touch the lever to stop the bike. Just efficiency & accuracy !
At low speeds, the BB7 are squeaking like Hell ! & I'm not able to tune it... I just don't know why that disc is f...ing rubbing ! Have to go to the bike store soon to fix it.
Maybe I'll install hydraulic brakes instead of those BB7... We'll see...

- Computer : Looking for a good computer to be able to collect many informations about my trip but don't really want to have a TV screen attached to my handlebar... Since several years, I'm using Sigma computers & am quite happy with them. So I think the Rox 9 by Sigma would be nice for me : it's small enough but it will provide me enough infos to manage my trip as well as possible.

- Camping gear : Have to buy everything, the list is long... I'm looking for a tent in which I could put my bike, I don't want to let it outside. Something like that but I'd like to find something lighter than 10kg...

- Packing everything : I saw an interesting solution used by the cargo-friendly SelfPropelledDevo : a pair of Dry Sak by B.O.B. That's exactly what I want : I could stock most of my stuff in them & could easily secure them with Pacsafe nets...

Well, a lot of things to think about & there are still 100 times more...

#10 ·
Brakes

Hello,

I have BB7's on my Pugsley, and I really like them. I have experience with Hayes Nine Hydraulics on a Specialized Enduro, it took me many months of tuning to get them to perform well. The BB7's have been very easy to set and forget.

The issue with the rotor rubbing on the brake mount bracket is a puzzle to me. adjusting the inboard and outboard(Red knobs) should allow you to loosen the caliper to mount screw sufficient to have it out of the way of the rotor??

Hmmm!:confused:

#11 ·
Hi riders,

Hello,

I have BB7's on my Pugsley, and I really like them. I have experience with Hayes Nine Hydraulics on a Specialized Enduro, it took me many months of tuning to get them to perform well. The BB7's have been very easy to set and forget.

The issue with the rotor rubbing on the brake mount bracket is a puzzle to me. adjusting the inboard and outboard(Red knobs) should allow you to loosen the caliper to mount screw sufficient to have it out of the way of the rotor??

Hmmm!:confused:
Well, after a few hours tuning the screws of the brake mount bracket (& with the help of a lime), it finally doesn't rub anymore...

I know people like photos, so here are some pictures of the recent upgrades :

The front & rear lights by Busch & Müller waiting for a dynamo hub. This one should come at the end of the week. Meanwhile, the front wheel of my Scott Aspect took the place :

A Brooks D-shaped toolbag came behind the saddle :

Always have a look behind you :

The stem received a Sigma Rox 9 :

A friend of mine borrowed to me my Scott. The other night, I went to his place & I towed it back :

Some overall pics :

& the best upgrades are still to come ! Just have to wait a few weeks...

Bye !

Reactions: dirtmistress
#14 ·
Thanks ! Don't know the Portes du Soleil, it's in the alps, right ? You'll see : nobody in France know the BD. People would chat with you everytime you take a ride !

Nice bike and passion :)

But god damnit keep the BB7 ! Just has to fine tune the caliper's position, adjust the inboard/outboard pads position, pick up the cable slack with the barrel adjuster, then have at least 20 to 40 complete stops to break them in, then clean the pads and rotor with alcohol and you'll be good to go !

If you plan on long journey, don't take the risk of having to rely on a hydraulic system, since you can't make any quick fix in case of problem... And BB7 will serve you well, better then Trektro brakes.

Have fun,

David
Thank you ! You're right, I'll keep those BB7. I finally could tune them up & they now work pretty nice. I still prefer the feeling of hydraulic brakes but as you said, for a long journey, it will be easier to fix it.

The dynamo hub is finally mounted & the Busch & Müller lights work pretty well ! Now waiting for other stuff...

#13 ·
Nice bike and passion :)

But god damnit keep the BB7 ! Just has to fine tune the caliper's position, adjust the inboard/outboard pads position, pick up the cable slack with the barrel adjuster, then have at least 20 to 40 complete stops to break them in, then clean the pads and rotor with alcohol and you'll be good to go !

If you plan on long journey, don't take the risk of having to rely on a hydraulic system, since you can't make any quick fix in case of problem... And BB7 will serve you well, better then Trektro brakes.

Have fun,

David

#16 ·
Some few upgrades...

Thank you. I saw your build, a nice start ! I especially like your handlebar. I looks great & the feeling on a BD must be... different ! Have you ride it yet ?

Well, mine has just been a little upgraded...

First improvement : Shimano dynamo hub...

Now, both of my B+M front & rear lights are powered.
The daylight is really bright. It's good to know that you can be seen by car drivers (in my town, there are a few bike lanes but you're often forced to ride between cars...) !
Here, 2 of the 4 daylight LED are on :

The "night light" is quite powerful. It is the most powerful I ever had so I really enjoy it. I have read that some people don't like this light. I have to specify that I ride almost always in town, so I don't need a 50 000 lumen light. So for me, this one is nice.

The rear light is... well, it's a taillight ! Bright enough to be seen & with the included capacitor, it stands on (for several minutes) when I stop at a traffic light.

I use it with 2 Knog "superbright" Skink taillights (one on each wideloader). So with this configuration, I can be easily seen & cars can see that my bike is especially wide.
When it's dark, I'll try to take some photos...

1 little upgrade : a bottle cage. Nothing special to say about it...

This one is nice :

I put a pair of Big Apples. Wanted to try bigger tires than 2.1" Conti Town & Country & am not disappointed ! It's very pleasant for me to ride them. When over-inflated, they are quite fast. I enjoy them much better than the Conti.

I also received a pair of B.O.B. DrySak :

They fit perfectly the wideloaders & are big enough to contain a lot of stuff ! To secure them, I got a pair of Pacsafe 120l nets. I have to admit I have stolen this idea from Devo who used to have this configuration. Thank you Devo for this inspiration !

Don't have photos but there are also 2 Ortlieb black Front Roller Classic. They will be mounted on a low-rider front rack.

Well, I think that's all for the moment.

Really, I love this bike !
Even in the steep street when I can't breath anymore, it's still a pleasure !

To be continued...

#17 ·
Mate, Nice build. If you're still looking for tents you may want to have a look at this site.

Tarptent Ultralight Shelters

I used a SCARP II to camp at Everest Base Camp + other passes and then gave it to a couple who had cycling for 18 months and had their tent pinched in Nepal. In reality, one can expect to get 400 nights out of these tents. After that they get a bit dodgy as they are light weight.

Al

#18 ·
Thanks for the link ! I'll watch it closer. Their tents are really light. Nice !

I was bored last week-end so I painted the wideloaders & the racks with a nice brown color. It is just a bomb painting. I know the wideloaders will get some scratch quite soon but well... It will last the time it will last...
I added a reflective stripe on it to be seen from the side.
I find the result like... yeah !

I found a friend who is OK to keep an eye (rather 8 eyes !) on my bike when I'm not at home :

Try to steal it from me & you'll finish in a silk cocoon !

Reactions: random walk
#19 ·
New upgrade !

Hi everyone,
Here is a new upgrade for the Dummy : a (sweeeeeeet) custom front rack !

It was made by Leah "Rack Lady" Stargardter. I find it perfect. She understood exactly what I wanted, I'm more than satisfied.
Let's see some (quick made) photos after a rainy ride today...

So I could mount the pair of Ortlieb Front Roller which were waiting for a rack...

I droped down the stem a little bit :

... because I have a better feeling in this position & also because I was afraid by the fact that it could make the fork tube weak & break one day (maybe I'm totally wrong but it was making me freak out !).
I'll let it like that for some time & if I find it really comfortable, I'll cut the fork tube...

Wanna make fun of me ?
A few days ago, I was doing I-don't-remember-what at the rear end of the dummy & I made a wonderful discover : there are some pockets inside the Freeloaders !!!
Seriously, I own that bike since last June & had never noticed that... A true revolution for me !
Maybe one day, I'll discover that my Dummy has a stock electric assistance or a rocket launcher !

That's all for today.
To be continued...

#25 ·
Thank you. Even for me it is pleasant to watch the earlier photos & see the evolution.
That quote would be much nicer with a purple frame !

Looks too nice to ride. :thumbsup:
You're right. I have not to reach the limit that makes you say : "I wanted a nice-looking bike but now, I find it so cool that I'm afraid to ride it" !

I saw your Big Fat Dummy. Nice ! How does it behave on trails ?

Bad ass bike... where did you purchase it?

Give me a heads up when your rolling through denmark next summer.. i'll buy you a beer!
In France, we say : "it didn't fall in the ear of a deaf". It means I won't forget to make you buy me a beer !
I purchased it at Xtracycle. It is cheaper than the european dealers but you have some custom duties so I don't really knows what is the best way to buy it in Europe...

Nice build man!
Thanks man !

#28 ·
I don't ride cargo bikes but you have a very good looking bike there man! do you think you can fit anything else on it still? :p A bike tour of the country (for those of us whose country is pretty big...) sounds like a good idea - I bet being able to tour so many different countries on a bike would be even better. Be sure to invest in a high-quality lock or two for that as well!

#30 ·
Well. To be honest, another upgrade would come in the next days ! But after that, it should be the last 'big' upgrade. If I continue like this, the bike will weigh 500kg !

When I let the Dummy in the street (& when I can't see it anymore), I combine a U-lock (On Guard Pitbull), a 2m cable lock & a chain lock (Kryptonite). So that I can lock both frame, wheels & saddle.
Also, I installed wheels & saddle locking skewers.
I also intend to put 1 dobermann in each freeloader & an anaconda in the front rack !
Paranoïd ? Me ?

No, they are really confidence-inspiring on wet surfaces. I cannot say that about the stock Schwalbe Big Apple tires that the bike came with. Every time I turned around a corner (even in the dry) it felt like driving a FWD car with major understeer, but the 2.5" Hookworms really feel connected to the road surface. It is possible that the 65mm wide rims help out though, however, I noticed their roadholding abilities back when I first got the bike (put them on the stock skinny Salsa Gordo rims).
Never noticed yet this FWD-effect & for the moment, I'm pretty pleased by the behavior of the Big Apples (on the road as on the trails). But I own them for only 2 months. I have to ride them more so that I'll have a better opinion.
I must admit that I'm quite curious about that Large Marges. I'd like to try them. I bet it must fell better on cornering than thiner rims...
Thank you for sharing your experience !

2 little bonus questions (about saddles) :

- I noticed yesterday that my saddle is a lil' bit "leaned" on the left. Means that I put most of my weight (or at least most of my a.. !) on the left side.
It will probably be a source of pain...
Could it be a bad tuning problem ?
Or maybe my left leg is shorter than the right one !

- I ride with the saddle pushed forward & it feels very nice like that.
But during a ride, the saddle sloooowly slides behind. So I have to tune it again before each ride (& sometimes DURING a ride).
Anyone knows what I could do to make that saddle stop moving ?

(Could the question #2 be the answer of the question #1 ?)

If someone could help me, thank you in advance !
Good ride to all !

#31 · (Edited)
Mate, the only thing I can think of in regards to your saddle slipping is that the clamp isn't tightening down on the rails enough. It may pay to take off the saddle, tighten the clamp right down and measure, whith a set of verniers if possable, the gap that is left in the tunnel. Then compare that to the diameter of the rails. If the clamp isn't tightening down enough, you may have to wrap a piece of shim around the rail prior to refitting it. I've owned and used a Brooks B67 for years and it's never slipped. Having a slight "nose" down attiude on the saddle is important for touring, other wise after a few days in the saddle your gonads will get bruised and really sore......:eek:::eekster: I've seen this happen when I've been guiding cycling tours.

Al

#32 ·
Thanks man for the advices about the saddle "touring position" !
I agree with you : this must be a tightening problem. I'll try to wrap something on the rail to make it stop slipping.

Well, here comes someting new :

You must have recognized those bags : custom made by Porcelain Rocket.
Well, I'm not here to advertise, so I'll just say I'm very pleased with them.

I'm waiting for the sun to make more photos...

#34 · (Edited)
Mate,

That's one good lookin' Dummy, tell you what, if, when you ride it and discover you don't like riding in the rain, wind, sun or getting sore gonads,or you pull some gorgeous little French chikky babe in with it and she wants you to settle down and have 16 kids, make sure you let me be the first to know.....I'll take it off your hands and look after it for you ...promise......
:thumbsup::thumbsup: ring me any time, 24/7, I'll answer, promise..... :D

Al

#38 ·
Hi,
I didn't weigh the rack. Now, it is mounted so it's quite hard to estimate its weight...
It's made of 304 stainless steel & the wood on it is ipe. A really nice looking wood & it's resistant for an outdoor use.

If you want to see more of Leah's work, have a look on her Flickr. She does a great job !

#39 ·
Hello cargo-riders,

Weather was pretty nice today so I went for a little ride along the river & took some pictures :

Thank you Rack Lady :

A lil' focus on the Porcelain Rocket bags :

Love to ride...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.