Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Koala View Post
    You're right. I have not to reach the limit that makes you say : "I wanted a nice-looking bike but now, I find it so cool that I'm afraid to ride it" !

I saw your Big Fat Dummy. Nice ! How does it behave on trails ?
    It rides surprisingly well on trails, even loaded up carrying my children. I am convinced that the 65mm wide Surly Large Marge rims and the 2.5" wide Maxxis Hookworm tires are a perfect setup for the Big Dummy.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    It rides surprisingly well on trails, even loaded up carrying my children. I am convinced that the 65mm wide Surly Large Marge rims and the 2.5" wide Maxxis Hookworm tires are a perfect setup for the Big Dummy.
    Aren't they too slippery on a wet road ?
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    I don't ride cargo bikes but you have a very good looking bike there man! do you think you can fit anything else on it still? A bike tour of the country (for those of us whose country is pretty big...) sounds like a good idea - I bet being able to tour so many different countries on a bike would be even better. Be sure to invest in a high-quality lock or two for that as well!

PRETENDURO
    Aren't they too slippery on a wet road ?
    No, they are really confidence-inspiring on wet surfaces. I cannot say that about the stock Schwalbe Big Apple tires that the bike came with. Every time I turned around a corner (even in the dry) it felt like driving a FWD car with major understeer, but the 2.5" Hookworms really feel connected to the road surface. It is possible that the 65mm wide rims help out though, however, I noticed their roadholding abilities back when I first got the bike (put them on the stock skinny Salsa Gordo rims).
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drblauston View Post
    I don't ride cargo bikes but you have a very good looking bike there man! do you think you can fit anything else on it still? A bike tour of the country (for those of us whose country is pretty big...) sounds like a good idea - I bet being able to tour so many different countries on a bike would be even better. Be sure to invest in a high-quality lock or two for that as well!
    Well. To be honest, another upgrade would come in the next days ! But after that, it should be the last 'big' upgrade. If I continue like this, the bike will weigh 500kg !

When I let the Dummy in the street (& when I can't see it anymore), I combine a U-lock (On Guard Pitbull), a 2m cable lock & a chain lock (Kryptonite). So that I can lock both frame, wheels & saddle.
    Also, I installed wheels & saddle locking skewers.
    I also intend to put 1 dobermann in each freeloader & an anaconda in the front rack !
    Parano´d ? Me ?

Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    No, they are really confidence-inspiring on wet surfaces. I cannot say that about the stock Schwalbe Big Apple tires that the bike came with. Every time I turned around a corner (even in the dry) it felt like driving a FWD car with major understeer, but the 2.5" Hookworms really feel connected to the road surface. It is possible that the 65mm wide rims help out though, however, I noticed their roadholding abilities back when I first got the bike (put them on the stock skinny Salsa Gordo rims).
    Never noticed yet this FWD-effect & for the moment, I'm pretty pleased by the behavior of the Big Apples (on the road as on the trails). But I own them for only 2 months. I have to ride them more so that I'll have a better opinion.
    I must admit that I'm quite curious about that Large Marges. I'd like to try them. I bet it must fell better on cornering than thiner rims...
    Thank you for sharing your experience !

2 little bonus questions (about saddles) :

- I noticed yesterday that my saddle is a lil' bit "leaned" on the left. Means that I put most of my weight (or at least most of my a.. !) on the left side.
    It will probably be a source of pain...
    Could it be a bad tuning problem ?
    Or maybe my left leg is shorter than the right one !

- I ride with the saddle pushed forward & it feels very nice like that.
    But during a ride, the saddle sloooowly slides behind. So I have to tune it again before each ride (& sometimes DURING a ride).
    Anyone knows what I could do to make that saddle stop moving ?

(Could the question #2 be the answer of the question #1 ?)

If someone could help me, thank you in advance !
    Good ride to all !
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mate, the only thing I can think of in regards to your saddle slipping is that the clamp isn't tightening down on the rails enough. It may pay to take off the saddle, tighten the clamp right down and measure, whith a set of verniers if possable, the gap that is left in the tunnel. Then compare that to the diameter of the rails. If the clamp isn't tightening down enough, you may have to wrap a piece of shim around the rail prior to refitting it. I've owned and used a Brooks B67 for years and it's never slipped. Having a slight "nose" down attiude on the saddle is important for touring, other wise after a few days in the saddle your gonads will get bruised and really sore......: I've seen this happen when I've been guiding cycling tours.

Al
    Last edited by alanm; 11-03-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Mate, the only thing I can think of in regards to your saddle slipping is that the clamp isn't tightening down on the rails enough. It may pay to take off the saddle, tighten the clamp right down and measure, whith a set of verniers if possable, the gap that is left in the tunnel. Then compare that to the diameter of the rails. If the clamp isn't tightening down enough, you may have to wrap a piece of shim around the rail prior to refitting it. I've owned and used a Brooks B67 for years and it's never slipped. Having a slight "nose" down attiude on the saddle is important for touring, other wise after a few days in the saddle your gonads will get bruised and really sore......: I've seen this happen when I've been guiding cycling tours.

Al
    Thanks man for the advices about the saddle "touring position" !
    I agree with you : this must be a tightening problem. I'll try to wrap something on the rail to make it stop slipping.

Well, here comes someting new :

You must have recognized those bags : custom made by Porcelain Rocket.
    Well, I'm not here to advertise, so I'll just say I'm very pleased with them.

I'm waiting for the sun to make more photos...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nice, a Devo kit!

I admired those bags on the Porcelain Rocket's flickr. Very swank Dummy you've got there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mate,

That's one good lookin' Dummy, tell you what, if, when you ride it and discover you don't like riding in the rain, wind, sun or getting sore gonads,or you pull some gorgeous little French chikky babe in with it and she wants you to settle down and have 16 kids, make sure you let me be the first to know.....I'll take it off your hands and look after it for you ...promise......
    ring me any time, 24/7, I'll answer, promise.....

Al
    Last edited by alanm; 11-08-2011 at 04:27 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Ah ah ah !
    No problem, when I meet this lil' chikky, I'll call you. But you'll have to spend 1 night in a haunted house !

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sweet....front rack is WAY cool.....what is it made of? Any idea what the rack weights? Any more info on the person who made it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ah ah ah !
    No problem, when I meet this lil' chikky, I'll call you. But you'll have to spend 1 night in a haunted house !
    No worries mate.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Sweet....front rack is WAY cool.....what is it made of? Any idea what the rack weights? Any more info on the person who made it?
    Hi,
    I didn't weigh the rack. Now, it is mounted so it's quite hard to estimate its weight...
    It's made of 304 stainless steel & the wood on it is ipe. A really nice looking wood & it's resistant for an outdoor use.

If you want to see more of Leah's work, have a look on her Flickr. She does a great job !

mtbr member
    Hello cargo-riders,

Weather was pretty nice today so I went for a little ride along the river & took some pictures :

Thank you Rack Lady :

A lil' focus on the Porcelain Rocket bags :

Love to ride...

mtbr member
    Hi everybody !

Well, it's never too late : happy 2012 to all !!

Still riding the Dummy & still loving it ! Here in France, the weather is more than nice : between 25 & 28░C. A real summer time ! Perfect to ride...

Recently, I changed my cable housing. The main reason is that when I had the handlebar bag mounted, I realized that the stock housing was a bit too short. It didn't prevent to ride normally but on some hard turns of the handlebar, some cables were pretty "tense" (is that the right word ?..).
    Well, I had to buy some brake & gear spare cables so I decided to also have some housing.
    So I had some Alligator kit (the Sleek Glide one) in gold version. It's a detail but I think it fits pretty well on te Dummy. Judge by yourself :

Even the Rolling Jackass could receive it :

Dressed with the Porcelain Rocket gear :

Another news : the 14th of april, I'm gonna start a trip from France to Finland (about 3000 km). To share photos & stories with my family, I made a blog :

http://likearollingdummy.blogspot.com

Well, it's written in french so if you're not afraid to google-translate, have a look at it !

Bye
    Alex

Chronic 1st-timer
    Putain! C'est formidable.
    22 Going on 23

mtbr member
    Hey, a frog !

Ca fait bizarre de voir du franšais sur ce forum !
    Franšais ?

The Wiking
    Still a sweet lookin' ride dude... my offer still stands.. so i'm hoping to be able to fullfill it.. Let me know when you have some more details as to which way you're heading.. via copenhagen or with ferry from jutland...
    with speed, shall technique be conquered

The streets are the sketchiest of trails.

mtbr member
    Hi !
    It will be a real pleasure to taste a danish beer with you !
    My plan is to arrive from the border Germany/Denmark & ride to Copenhagen. I saw I could take the train there to join Sweden.
    In which part of Denmark do you live ?

kcp
    mtbr member
    Wow!! Nice build and ride man!! The new cables do give some contrast against the black...it would take some getting used to for my taste. Love the info on the Marge's and the Hookworms in this thread. I have a Dummy on my list for this year (hopefully) and a tire/rim upgrade from stock is on the top of my upgrade list. Again, very cool ride, very cool indeed. Look forward to the pics as you travel on that beautiful steed!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    14 of April eh!...I'm very envious. Enjoy. Bike looks good as well.

Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcp View Post
    Wow!! Nice build and ride man!! The new cables do give some contrast against the black...it would take some getting used to for my taste. Love the info on the Marge's and the Hookworms in this thread. I have a Dummy on my list for this year (hopefully) and a tire/rim upgrade from stock is on the top of my upgrade list. Again, very cool ride, very cool indeed. Look forward to the pics as you travel on that beautiful steed!!
    Pick up that Dummy, you won't regret it !
    I think a tire upgrade must be done ; I didn't enjoyed much the stock Conti Town & Country & am very pleased with the Big Apples.
    Really like the look of the Large Marge's. I'm also curious about the feeling when riding with them 'cause it would really change the shape of the tire...
    Well, maybe after my tour, I'll try 'em, we'll see...

14 of April eh!...I'm very envious. Enjoy. Bike looks good as well.

Al
    Come on ! Leave your job, take a plane & come ride by my side !

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=Come on ! Leave your job, take a plane & come ride by my side ![/QUOTE]

Mate, if all goes well, this time next year, I'll be quitting work and jumping on the bike for ~ 1 year, ~15000 Km tour from Perth - Alice Springs - Mt Isa - Cape York Peninsular - Cooktown - National Bicentential Trail - Melbourne - then along the beach as much as possible to Adelaide - Perth. and I'm STRUGGLING to stay PATIENT because I want to go NOW.......

Your ride will be great and I think you ought to read this link below because by the time you finish the little "warm up" ride to Finland you'll be ready to tackle something a "little" longer

World Cycling Tour

Enjoy.
    Al

kcp
    mtbr member
    Pick up that Dummy, you won't regret it !
    yepper, gotta be patient though, Agent K...I'm restricted to a recumbent trike for the foreseeable future until all my elbow nerve surgeries and my carpal surgeries in both hands are done...not able to ride a DF, excruciating pain. BUT, once I am done and all is good, AND I can put weight back on hands and elbows, then said Dummy will make it's presence known here!! LOL!!!

mtbr member
    Mate, if all goes well, this time next year, I'll be quitting work and jumping on the bike for ~ 1 year, ~15000 Km tour from Perth - Alice Springs - Mt Isa - Cape York Peninsular - Cooktown - National Bicentential Trail - Melbourne - then along the beach as much as possible to Adelaide - Perth. and I'm STRUGGLING to stay PATIENT because I want to go NOW.......

Your ride will be great and I think you ought to read this link below because by the time you finish the little "warm up" ride to Finland you'll be ready to tackle something a "little" longer

World Cycling Tour

Enjoy.
    Al
    Man, what a tour !
    Never went to Australia but I guess this must be a great country to ride. A 1 year trip is such a big stuff ! I wish all the best for you !

Quote Originally Posted by kcp View Post
    yepper, gotta be patient though, Agent K...I'm restricted to a recumbent trike for the foreseeable future until all my elbow nerve surgeries and my carpal surgeries in both hands are done...not able to ride a DF, excruciating pain. BUT, once I am done and all is good, AND I can put weight back on hands and elbows, then said Dummy will make it's presence known here!! LOL!!!
    Hope you'll be well soon, man. Never had this kind of injuries but my mother had carpal surgery so I can imagine how "unpleasant" & difficult it could be to ride like that...
    How do you enjoy your recumbent trike ? It's said that it's slower on climbs but quite fun to ride... I'd really like to test it when I'll have the occasion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast