Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Beastrider

The Trek Transport Thread

Since there is a Yuba Mundo Thread I figured why not a Trek Transport thread..... That is if there is anyone else besides myself that has one of these that actually posts here.......

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You may be the only one that post here but I do know a shop in Fayetteville Ar. that has one and it looks pretty cool with dual disc breaks.I don't think it cost to much to add a disc rear setup.I would like to see other Trek Transport as well to see how well people are doing with them I know you love your's a lot.Did you ever get the new tires on it yet?The wide loader as I call then on the Trek is well built looks to be very strong the way it is mounted.Guess next time I am up in Fayetteville I going to have to test ride it.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    You may be the only one that post here but I do know a shop in Fayetteville Ar. that has one and it looks pretty cool with dual disc breaks.I don't think it cost to much to add a disc rear setup.I would like to see other Trek Transport as well to see how well people are doing with them I know you love your's a lot.Did you ever get the new tires on it yet?The wide loader as I call then on the Trek is well built looks to be very strong the way it is mounted.Guess next time I am up in Fayetteville I going to have to test ride it.
    White walls are due in tomorrow and I'll probably pick them up sometime over the weekend or next week. I am also looking into swapping out the rear brakes and going with disk all around.

If you DO get to ride it have fun!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    White walls are due in tomorrow and I'll probably pick them up sometime over the weekend or next week. I am also looking into swapping out the rear brakes and going with disk all around.

If you DO get to ride it have fun!!!!!
    Which disk brakes are you going with? I am going to put disk on my YuMu soon and think I am going with the bb7 because they have pad adjusters on both sides (inboard and outboard) I have them on my Pug and like them. I have seen a lot of hydraulic brakes at the shop where I work and don't like them because they leak, need to be bled, and are just generally higher tech, higher maintenance. I think mechanical is the way to go if you want something you can repair on the side of the road with bailing wire. Just my opinion. Are you going 160mm or 180mm? I'm doing 160mm, don't really see the point of bigger, I think even with a loaded cargo bike 160s should be more than adequate. I think the white walls will be cool because all of those lights on your rig will light up your tires. So are there any other transport owners out there or what?

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    Which disk brakes are you going with? I am going to put disk on my YuMu soon and think I am going with the bb7 because they have pad adjusters on both sides (inboard and outboard) I have them on my Pug and like them. I have seen a lot of hydraulic brakes at the shop where I work and don't like them because they leak, need to be bled, and are just generally higher tech, higher maintenance. I think mechanical is the way to go if you want something you can repair on the side of the road with bailing wire. Just my opinion. Are you going 160mm or 180mm? I'm doing 160mm, don't really see the point of bigger, I think even with a loaded cargo bike 160s should be more than adequate. I think the white walls will be cool because all of those lights on your rig will light up your tires. So are there any other transport owners out there or what?
    I am currently looking around for a decent buy. I am going to go with 160 for the rear as that's what is on the front. Which would make interchanging anything a LOT easier. I was considering going hydraulic, but I would have to change out the rear line for a longer one and just think that would be too much of a pain in the ass over the long term. So I'll be going mechanical. MUCH easier to maintain. Especially with all the crap I would have to move to do ANY maintenance after the initial install.

I agree as well. Bigger isn't always better. 160 front AND rear should be quite enough to stop in almost any situation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    160 disc brakes will be just fine for the Beast.Look at the BB7 they are cheap and real easy to install.
    But I went big on my BD 203 rear 185 on front it gives changes too you when you stop lol...Hurry up and install thoes tires I want to see how it will look know it will be sweet.

Beastrider
    160 disc brakes will be just fine for the Beast.Look at the BB7 they are cheap and real easy to install.
    But I went big on my BD 203 rear 185 on front it gives changes too you when you stop lol...Hurry up and install thoes tires I want to see how it will look know it will be sweet.
    Should be getting the new rubber next week. Just got the email last night that they were in. So it will be Monday or Tuesday before I can go get them.

Beastrider
    Was out and about again today. Got a couple of interesting photos.....

At the Newport News Police Training Center in Newport News, Virginia

My two hobbies....Riding and Railroads.....
    [/FONT]

Beastrider
    YAY!!!!! Whitewall tires will arrive this morning. A special delivery by one of the employees from the LBS on his way to work. These guys REALLY go out of their way for their customers!!!!! I am extremely happy with THIS choice for a bike shop. Check them out below.....

EAST COAST BICYCLES

Beastrider
    GEEZ......290 views.....am I the ONLY Transport owner out there???......LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    GEEZ......290 views.....am I the ONLY Transport owner out there???......LOL
    No you are not the only one with a transport but you may be the only one that will post pics of it.Why who knows...Heck my wife don't even know I have my GPS yet lol.By the time she finds it out it will be use a lot lol...and she will be roflmao...

mtbr member
    The local shop had the e-bike version at a good price, but funds are scarce. I was thinking to retire the classic Schwinn to a nice SS and take it out of errands mode..

So those are the Bike Wrappers in their natural environment that you posted about in the Commuting forum: Cool. I can afford to emulate that much.

BrianMc

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    The local shop had the e-bike version at a good price, but funds are scarce. I was thinking to retire the classic Schwinn to a nice SS and take it out of errands mode..

So those are the Bike Wrappers in their natural environment that you posted about in the Commuting forum: Cool. I can afford to emulate that much.

BrianMc
    Those ARE the Bike Wrappers. And they do a pretty god job even during the daytime. I know that 45 bucks seems a bit pricey, but it is well worth the investment just for the safety aspect.

Beastrider
    Whitewalls on a cargo bike? WHY NOT?????

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Whitewalls on a cargo bike? WHY NOT?????

The very first pic looks to be the best of them all great looking ride.

Beastrider
    the very first pic looks to be the best of them all great looking ride.
    thanks!!!!!:d:d

Beastrider

Out and about today....

Took a couple of photos while out today!!!!!

OH NOOoooo......Speeding????........

Three times the fun!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nice work Harry you are good with the camera. :-)

Beastrider

... and if we just ...

Nice work Harry you are good with the camera. :-)
    I am rarely without the camera. It has come in very handy and I am always looking for something interesting to shoot. I do go out of my way occasionally to get a decent shot.

Thanks for the compliment!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thats what I need to start doing taking my camera with me all the time but I never do.

Beastrider
    I am used to it. I have been carrying some sort of a camera and tripod around with me when I ride for a long time now. Just seems like it's a part of the bike and my everyday riding gear now.

Beastrider

Well....

I'll keep up my posting even though there doesn't seem to be any other Transport owners out there. I suppose that those who DO actually own them are "wannabes" that don't actually RIDE them.

I was out yesterday and hit the 475 mile mark on mine. As the weather continues to get better mileage should go up........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Beastrider

Yay

First time in a while that I got to head out for a relaxing ride. Weather has been to chilly for those simple "killing time" rides....but today!!!!!.......although a bit on the cool side it was a fun and enjoyable ride!!!!!

Beastrider
    More photos......

Beastrider

Made a change.....

Had to make a change to the Milk crate that I was using. The height was a little too much for the weight involved and would cause a little bit of wobble on the rear when there was no load on. So I made a change and cut off about three quarters of the weight. You can see the end result in the photo. It's still quite functional and can carry quite a bit inside. Also, it DOES look just a little better as well.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Very nice job you did again.Well after all the time it took me to add my dual horns I took them off I got to thinking about the weight of the battery and the size of it and it just was to damn heavy lol.And I did not like some of the lights I had on it either so off they came as well.I did put one red tail light on and a very nice head light 740 lumes run time on high is good for me I can always get one more battery for it if needed.Pictures will be here later its to cool in my little work shop.Today I need to spend a little time with the wife.Oh I did get to ride a transport over the weekend.It was fun.
    Last edited by kdc1956; 02-21-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Beastrider
    Very nice job you did again.Well after all the time it took me to add my dual horns I took them off I got to thinking about the weight of the battery and the size of it and it just was to damn heavy lol.And I did not like some of the lights I had on it either so off they came as well.I did put one red tail light on and a very nice head light 740 lums run time on high is good for me I can always get one more battery for it if needed.Pictures will be here later its to cool in my little work shop.Today I need to spend a little time with the wife.Oh I did get to ride a transport over the weekend.It was fun.
    Instead of going with a constant power supply for the air horns. What about using a small rechargeable air tank? You would not need to have a large power supple then. Just a simple valve type button to open and close to release the air.......

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Instead of going with a constant power supply for the air horns. What about using a small rechargeable air tank? You would not need to have a large power supple then. Just a simple valve type button to open and close to release the air.......
    They was not air horns they was dual elect horns lol.It looks so much cleaner now lol onw good red light in the rear and acygolite turbo 740 light run time is great I think.Now I have to install the front surly nice rack next my PN-60 GPS mount is mounted too weeeee...wife thinks it looks pretty cool too.

Beastrider
    They was not air horns they was dual elect horns lol.It looks so much cleaner now lol onw good red light in the rear and acygolite turbo 740 light run time is great I think.Now I have to install the front surly nice rack next my PN-60 GPS mount is mounted too weeeee...wife thinks it looks pretty cool too.
    Glad you are finally getting the ride together. Too bad about the horns. BUT....if you really want the air horn blast I gave you something to ponder.........The trumpets are relatively cheap at a decent truck stop and, as I mentioned, maybe a small air tank might be the way to go....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I hope to get to go riding some time this week or this weekend if it does not rain or if it don't get to cold lol.I am happy with the look of it now and just want to ride it until the sun goes down then the head light and tail light can be turn on.

Beastrider
    A little chilly around here for night riding. After the sun goes down the temp seems to REALLY fall off lately. Going to have to wait a little longer for that.

Our "Nor'Easter" that we were SUPPOSED to get on Sunday night Monday morning fizzled......had a little snow on the windshield of the car then it warmed up and was all gone before 9am. Got to LOVE the weather in Virginia!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It looks like lack of activity has put you folks to sleep! I am trying to find a Transport to look at in the Seattle area and may be able to do so on Sunday. My interest is in the e-bike version. Will Trek build it with hydraulic brakes or do I have to work with the dealer for local conversion? I have no product familiarity.
    Thanks,
    John
    Seattle

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

mechanical disc in the front

Transport - Trek Bicycle

Mechanical disc brake in the front: Shimano M416
    Some rim brake in the back. I believe it's easy to covert to disc (hub and frame are compatible) but I don't have those pictures in front of me right now.

If you find a Seattle LBS that keeps the bike in stock, please post here... I make it over there occasionally and I'd be interested in test riding one.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by w1cdo View Post
    It looks like lack of activity has put you folks to sleep! I am trying to find a Transport to look at in the Seattle area and may be able to do so on Sunday. My interest is in the e-bike version. Will Trek build it with hydraulic brakes or do I have to work with the dealer for local conversion? I have no product familiarity.
    Thanks,
    John
    Seattle
    you'll have to do a hydraulic conversion yourself. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself and save a few bucks. I also considered the electric version but went with the regular one and am looking at a mid-drive kit for it.

Hope you get a chance to ride one. I think you'll be impressed!!!!!

Beastrider

... and if we just ...

Thanks,
    John
    Seattle
    I considered hydraulic for mine. But went with mechanical due to the length of connecting to the rear. Didn't want to take the chance of possibly pinching a line while riding. Take a long look at the bike and you'll see what I mean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank you for your comments, folks. After making my previous post I caught two additional dealers on the phone just before closing. The shop in Burien has an unpowered Transport and is open today, Easter. I may possibly go look at it. The dealer in Angle Lake said he will have an electric Transport and a Valencia in about a week - Bingo!
    I rode an OHM e-bike yesterday, my first such experience. I enjoyed the ride, the component quality looked excellent to my eye, though I have no specific relative quality experience with bikes. The style turns me off however, and since it is a toy, that is significant.
    John

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    To continue this, I saw the unpowered Transport in Burien on Sunday and it is satisfactory. Angle Lake Cyclery has one on order, due in something over a week, but they are the only dealer in Western Washington. I called about 20 of them today. I was directed to the large dealer in Portland and they have two in stock. If I don't change my mind over night, I plan to drive down and get it on Tuesday morning. They can put a rear fender on for me, remove the front wheel and sell me a trunk mount bike rack to bring it home. They do not have suitable hydraulic brakes in stock, so I'll have that changed up here when I return. Clearly it is not a popular bike, but with a little upgrading it will precisely fill my needs.
    John

Beastrider

... and if we just ...

To continue this, I saw the unpowered Transport in Burien on Sunday and it is satisfactory. Angle Lake Cyclery has one on order, due in something over a week, but they are the only dealer in Western Washington. I called about 20 of them today. I was directed to the large dealer in Portland and they have two in stock. If I don't change my mind over night, I plan to drive down and get it on Tuesday morning. They can put a rear fender on for me, remove the front wheel and sell me a trunk mount bike rack to bring it home. They do not have suitable hydraulic brakes in stock, so I'll have that changed up here when I return. Clearly it is not a popular bike, but with a little upgrading it will precisely fill my needs.
    John
    The popularity of this bike is just starting to gain a little steam. I have done all of my own upgrades. Simply because I like to tinker with stuff.......

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the tip on the Burien shop! It looks like they have an '11 for almost 10% below Trek's list price. I don't know if that's normal, or not - one of the Spokane Trek shops charges about 10% more than list on Bontrager parts. Unfortunately it'll be months before I make it over to Seattle again.

It would cost more than usual to put a rear hydraulic disc brake on the Transport, because of the longer hose run (pointed out by BeastRider.) Also, I don't know if the rear hub on electric Transport+ would accommodate it, because of the motor.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by ventura View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Burien shop! It looks like they have an '11 for almost 10% below Trek's list price. I don't know if that's normal, or not - one of the Spokane Trek shops charges about 10% more than list on Bontrager parts. Unfortunately it'll be months before I make it over to Seattle again.

It would cost more than usual to put a rear hydraulic disc brake on the Transport, because of the longer hose run (pointed out by BeastRider.) Also, I don't know if the rear hub on electric Transport+ would accommodate it, because of the motor.
    I would consider looking into a mid-drive system if you really want electric. The system on the Transport is an "assist" unit and not designed for very long runs. A good mid-drive unit would be much better for the long runs.

mtbr member
    Love your bike BeastRider. Just wondering the forums today, see you guys are talking about hydraulic brakes. Here's a pretty good thread. I can't post links yet.
    Search mechanical vs, hydos
    It's in the Fat Bikes forums

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsgotapugsley View Post
    Love your bike BeastRider. Just wondering the forums today, see you guys are talking about hydraulic brakes. Here's a pretty good thread. I can't post links yet.
    Search mechanical vs, hydos
    It's in the Fat Bikes forums
    Thanks for the compliment!!!!!

As for the hydraulic brakes. It's not that you CAN'T put them on. it's the length of the rear line that becomes an issue. I looked into putting them on mine and, frankly, it was just a little more than I wanted to spend as you have to, basically, have a custom line made for the way the Transport runs it's rear line. Kind of a pain in the butt. But I did manage to get a decent mechanical setup to work just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Child seat for Transport

I just picked up my transport on Monday and have already logged about 60 km. I love it! I am used to riding agressive road and mtn bikes and it is so refreshing to just be able to relax and enjoy the scenery while doing daily routines. I have forgotten what its like to just jump on a bike without special shoes, gloves, shorts, jerseys, sunglasses, etc. I will primarily be using my Transport for 2 child transport. I have had my five year old on the rear and my toddler in a Wee Ride seat up front, but it doesn't work that well and I would like to move him to the rear. Is there a compatable bike seat that would work on the rear without having to raise up the height of the deck? would the Yuba or xtracycle seat work? Also are there any other stoker handles that I could use besides the xtracyle, they seem to be out of stock. Thanks

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by jvecchio View Post
    I just picked up my transport on Monday and have already logged about 60 km. I love it! I am used to riding agressive road and mtn bikes and it is so refreshing to just be able to relax and enjoy the scenery while doing daily routines. I have forgotten what its like to just jump on a bike without special shoes, gloves, shorts, jerseys, sunglasses, etc. I will primarily be using my Transport for 2 child transport. I have had my five year old on the rear and my toddler in a Wee Ride seat up front, but it doesn't work that well and I would like to move him to the rear. Is there a compatable bike seat that would work on the rear without having to raise up the height of the deck? would the Yuba or xtracycle seat work? Also are there any other stoker handles that I could use besides the xtracyle, they seem to be out of stock. Thanks
    Seems to be a bit of trial and error with the Transport. It's still a relatively new bike and there just isn't a lot available for it yet. I am sure that Trek, along with others, are working accessories for it. But, for now, I just try different things and see if they are going to work. Perhaps this might work out for you as well. Especially if you like to tinker around with stuff!!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am delighted to hear how pleased you are with your new Transport. It is a handsome bike and will give you lots of opportunity to move your little ones around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Peanut Shell for Transport

Hi Beastrider, I finally found a child seat that will fit the Transport, the peanut shell from Yuba fits well. I had to remove the aluminum deck and flip the pannier supports (left to right and right to left). My only complaint is the weak kickstand, I almost tipped the bike over with the kiddies strapped in while I was tying my shoe. Instead of another kickstand I was thinking of building a support leg under the folding load trays. Something made of pvc like your rack. Is that a T fitting on the load tray? is it stiff or would it easily spin around? I need it to be somewhat stiff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Trek Transport Thread-dsc01653%2520-2-.jpg  

The Trek Transport Thread-dsc01654.jpg  

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by jvecchio View Post
    Hi Beastrider, I finally found a child seat that will fit the Transport, the peanut shell from Yuba fits well. I had to remove the aluminum deck and flip the pannier supports (left to right and right to left). My only complaint is the weak kickstand, I almost tipped the bike over with the kiddies strapped in while I was tying my shoe. Instead of another kickstand I was thinking of building a support leg under the folding load trays. Something made of pvc like your rack. Is that a T fitting on the load tray? is it stiff or would it easily spin around? I need it to be somewhat stiff
    That looks good!!!!! What fitting are you talking about? I used 1/2 inch PVC on mine. I am sure you could figure a way to work out a "swivel" mechanism of some kind. I did a stand a few years back for my BoB trailer so I could park and load it separate from the bike. Worked pretty well and would move up and under much like a regular center stand.

Actually, you have given me some food for thought. Might see if I can work something up as I have had issues with just the wind blowing mine over when it's on the stand.

Beastrider

And a couple.....

Here's a couple for the Transport fans......

ENJOY!!!!!

mtbr member

Good job! Good work

Here's a couple for the Transport fans......

ENJOY!!!!!

Rock on bro.

Beastrider

New LED shots

Here are some new LED night shots.....
    These are now all powered off of the same battery.

The battery is rechargeable and was "adopted" from the cable company when they failed
    to come and pick up their equipment after REPEATED phone calls.
    I took it off as every time I unplugged the darn thing it would "beep" incessantly.
    So, after waiting six months for the company that we had cancelled service from
    to come and get it I took it down myself.

The battery, although a bit large, fit under the rear rack perfectly.
    This cut me back from using multiple 9-volts and three toggles
    down to one toggle. Works GREAT don't you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast