Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Beastrider
    Went out for one of those "mind clearing" rides today. Found a few interesting places to get a photo.....

All photos taken inside the city limits of Hampton, Virginia.

Morning reflections off the water

An old wall.....

A bridge to?????.....

A long way to the top.....
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Trek Transport 2012

My new Trek Transport, on the streets of Oslo, Norway.

Really, really loving this ride. Have a Civia Hyland built for longer commutes, but the Transport rules as a neighbourhood bike –*and is great fun on more extended errands as well.

The kids just love it. Went to the movies the other day with two of them: The nine year old wanted to see his fave movie again, but the two year old needed to sleep. She could have slept in the child trailer we have, but the nine year old doesn't fit in there anymore. Solution: Strap our regular stroller onto the rear bar of the Transport –*and off we go. The stroller followed along nicely through town, the two year old fell asleep in it as soon as we got there and parked the bike, the nine year old was happy to see Studio Ghibli's The Secret World of Arietty one more time, and daddy was happy to wait outside looking after the sleeping one while reading Grant Petersons last book, Just Ride (recommended).

A few tweaks has been made to the Transport, mainly these:

Schwalbe Fat Fank 2.35 tires –*much more comfort and stability on gravel and rough surfaces.

Brooks B17 – an issue of personal taste, it's actually the first time I try one of these leather saddles.

Syntace VRO handlebar/stem –*nice 700mm width and 16 degree sweep. And super easy to adjust the stem length when my girlfriend wanna use the bike. Turn two allen keys, and the stem can be set everywhere from 55 to 105mm. Syntace

Planet Bike Cascadia fenders –*the bike came with one short fender up front, none in the back. The Cascadia fenders are so much nicer and longer. The rear one required some bending of the steel stays to clear the frame tubes, and some zip ties to connect the fender to the rack as the seat stay bridge mount is placed too far forward and the bolt hole doesn't line up with the fender hardware due to the awkward, low angle of the stays. No big deal, though, and works perfectly now.

GMG Junior classic child seat – ordered from Holland, where they realize that big kids sometimes needs a ride, too. (Had to cut off a bit of the metal hardware to make it fit, though, ordered without knowing the exact measures, and saw it slide on with 1mm clearance). CHILD SEAT BIKES - GMG JUNIOR (Code: JUN668394)

A German Mirror and a Crane Suzu brass bell from Rivendell is useful, too! The eagle-eyed will probably see the Knog Blinder front light, too. Super small, very bright and can be plugged right into any USB port for charging.

Now if I only could find a solution to the wimpy center stand. It's simply not wide enough to provide decent support when the bike is loaded. I'll look into it and get back if I find something that will work. This detail isn't a big one, but it's an important one. I don't want my two year old to touch the loaded bike when she's running around waiting to be put into her seat, because I fear it might fall over her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Trek Transport Thread-trektransport-kino1.jpg  

The Trek Transport Thread-trek-transport-gate-1200.jpg  

Last edited by geiranders; 06-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    A long way to the top.....
    If you want to rock & roll....

Very cool. I like the license plate.

Quote Originally Posted by geiranders View Post
    GMG Junior classic child seat – ordered from Holland, where they realize that big kids sometimes needs a ride, too. (Had to cut off a bit of the metal hardware to make it fit, though, ordered without knowing the exact measures, and saw it slide on with 1mm clearance). CHILD SEAT BIKES - GMG JUNIOR (Code: JUN668394)
    I like that seat. Saw a few in Paris last weekend; too bad they're not available in the U.S.

Beastrider

Really, really loving this ride. Have a Civia Hyland built for longer commutes, but the Transport rules as a neighbourhood bike –*and is great fun on more extended errands as well.

The kids just love it. Went to the movies the other day with two of them: The nine year old wanted to see his fave movie again, but the two year old needed to sleep. She could have slept in the child trailer we have, but the nine year old doesn't fit in there anymore. Solution: Strap our regular stroller onto the rear bar of the Transport –*and off we go. The stroller followed along nicely through town, the two year old fell asleep in it as soon as we got there and parked the bike, the nine year old was happy to see Studio Ghibli's The Secret World of Arietty one more time, and daddy was happy to wait outside looking after the sleeping one while reading Grant Petersons last book, Just Ride (recommended).

Schwalbe Fat Fank 2.35 tires –*much more comfort and stability on gravel and rough surfaces.

Brooks B17 – an issue of personal taste, it's actually the first time I try one of these leather saddles.

Syntace VRO handlebar/stem –*nice 700mm width and 16 degree sweep. And super easy to adjust the stem length when my girlfriend wanna use the bike. Turn two allen keys, and the stem can be set everywhere from 55 to 105mm. Syntace

Planet Bike Cascadia fenders –*the bike came with one short fender up front, none in the back. The Cascadia fenders are so much nicer and longer. The rear one required some bending of the steel stays to clear the frame tubes, and some zip ties to connect the fender to the rack as the seat stay bridge mount is placed too far forward and the bolt hole doesn't line up with the fender hardware due to the awkward, low angle of the stays. No big deal, though, and works perfectly now.

A German Mirror and a Crane Suzu brass bell from Rivendell is useful, too! The eagle-eyed will probably see the Knog Blinder front light, too. Super small, very bright and can be plugged right into any USB port for charging.

Now if I only could find a solution to the wimpy center stand. It's simply not wide enough to provide decent support when the bike is loaded. I'll look into it and get back if I find something that will work. This detail isn't a big one, but it's an important one. I don't want my two year old to touch the loaded bike when she's running around waiting to be put into her seat, because I fear it might fall over her.

Those Fat Franks look GREAT on there!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    If you want to rock & roll....

Very cool. I like the license plate.

I got the plate from this company.....

Custom made affordable license plates

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    My folks met in Billysburg in the 1950s. I get over there from time to time (my grandmother still lives in the house she and my grandfather bought in the 1950s, when he was teaching at W&M). I'll have to alert you when I'm over that way, and we'll go for a ride. Hope you don't mind that my wife and I have a tandem recumbent!
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeolounger View Post
    My folks met in Billysburg in the 1950s. I get over there from time to time (my grandmother still lives in the house she and my grandfather bought in the 1950s, when he was teaching at W&M). I'll have to alert you when I'm over that way, and we'll go for a ride. Hope you don't mind that my wife and I have a tandem recumbent!
    Anytime. Just give me a heads up. I don't mind a recumbent. Hope YOU don't mind that I rarely, if ever, get in much of a hurry.....

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    Anytime. Just give me a heads up. I don't mind a recumbent. Hope YOU don't mind that I rarely, if ever, get in much of a hurry.....
    Good with me.

Nice to see you got the Billysburg reference. Not everyone does, even if they've been there a while.
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Reading this thread is rather heartwarming. Maybe it's because I'm reading posts of fellow bike enthusiasts who enjoy easygoing (and even utilitarian!) riding as much as they enjoy winding through tight singletrack.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more!

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Reading this thread is rather heartwarming. Maybe it's because I'm reading posts of fellow bike enthusiasts who enjoy easygoing (and even utilitarian!) riding as much as they enjoy winding through tight singletrack.

Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more!
    A few night shots for you......ENJOY!!!!!

Hampton, Virginia Coliseum

A Gazebo at night

Heading home.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

The tires sure looks great you will enjoy your Brooks saddle I have two now both are great I need one more for my other bike too.I think you will like your bike pretty good nice job on the setup.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    The tires sure looks great you will enjoy your Brooks saddle I have two now both are great I need one more for my other bike too.I think you will like your bike pretty good nice job on the setup.
    Yes, it certainly DOES look great!!!!!

An update for anyone that owns a Transport. I was out and about last Saturday. When I came out of a store I went to put the bike on the center stand. I realized that, for some reason, it wasn't stable. I thought, at first, it was the cement I was on. So I went to move the bike. The a small part fell off. I realized that the center stand looked a little odd. So, after checking it out, I found where the part had fallen from. Below are photos I took of the stand and the broken part. You MIGHT want to check this and see if you are having a similar issue. I have contacted TREK and the LBS about it and they are currently working on a solution. I have not, as yet, removed the stand as I am afraid that it might fall apart completely leaving me with no way to hold the bike upright. When I do finally remove it I'll get some better photos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Congratulations!

Nice set up!

My two kids are just past the pram age but I΄m impressed by the way you bring the pram along. If I had had the same brilliant idea and a similar pram I might have tried pulling it back-wards behind the bike, attached by the handle to the rear rack, with the front wheel lifted. I imagine it might be more stable.

My five yo now rides on a tag along bike, while my three yo sits in a Hamax Siesta (also a good seat!). I did however look at the GMG Junior classic child seat as an option for my five yo but opted for the tag along. The GMG seat looks to be a smart seat for older kids, but according to my LBS it might actually be going out of production, replaced by the Tipp Junior. At least that is what he said and the reason he stocked up a whole lot of them... Cykel barnstol - De Fietsfabriek | Hollδndska cyklar & lεdcyklar

mtbr member
    Nice bike and set-up BeastRider. Not to high jack your thread here. I was gonna get the Transport from my LBS but they wouldn't match the closeout price I found on a Kona Ute. I figured as long as I've been a customer of theirs since 1967 that was the least they could do. Hey whats 120 bucks I said. So I just told them I was gonna get the Kona Ute but I will still be a loyal customer. I really liked the Transport too but 1100 bills was all I could come up with. Got the Kona for 1093 with shipping, my LBS wanted 1229 with tax for the Transport. Enjoy your Tansport and ride safe.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, I don't own the transport. That's because when i went to my local bike shop to look at it the Trek rep who was there said that they do not advocate carrying kids on the back. Ever. Ended up ordering a big dummy. Too bad for trek, but I guess the company knows about it. My LBS was not thrilled with the Trek guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Well, I don't own the transport. That's because when i went to my local bike shop to look at it the Trek rep who was there said that they do not advocate carrying kids on the back. Ever. Ended up ordering a big dummy. Too bad for trek, but I guess the company knows about it. My LBS was not thrilled with the Trek guy.
    WOW! A good way NOT to sell a bike. Hope you enjoy your Big Dummy.
    Curt

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    WOW! A good way NOT to sell a bike. Hope you enjoy your Big Dummy.
    Me too. It is due in mid Nov. the Yepp child seat Xtracycle sells is in, and looks very very nice.

somewhat schizophrenic
    May 2008

A Second Transport

Greetings Beastrider!

I picked up a Transport+ for my wife the other day. Hopefully I will put up a few posts about it soon. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

Happy Transporting....

mtbr member

...late again, as usual...

...They've been a while coming, but here are a couple pics of my Transport...

The Trek Transport Thread-basket-lr.jpgThe Trek Transport Thread-dscn0078lr.jpgThe Trek Transport Thread-dscn0079-version-2lr.jpg
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

somewhat schizophrenic
    May 2008
    Hey Damnitman, I notice you've got most of your load riding behind the rear axle. Is this negatively affecting your handling?
    I ask because I'm setting up my wife's Transport with a kiddie seat and am contemplating how far back to put it....
    Play for more than you can afford to lose, and you will learn the game.

mtbr member
    ...the tote is empty, so I'd guess most of the weight was on the forward part of the rack...but yes, you should keep the weight forward. It handles fine with weight on the back due to the long wheelbase, but the rear rack is a touch higher than it could be (engineered high to give the battery-pack a place to hide), which could lead to...squirrely handling...no issue with a bag of dog food...but with a kid or a keg of beer, the stakes would be more substantial...all in all, awesome bike.

somewhat schizophrenic
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ..squirrely handling...no issue with a bag of dog food...but with a kid or a keg of beer, the stakes would be more substantial
    ...Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

mtbr member
    Please note-I'm not saying it is or has been twitchy...even with a 29'er/Fat Black Sheep Unicrown fork tweaking my HTA. I'm saying the top rack is built 4-or so inches higher than was really necessary...this higher potential center of gravity could exacerbate negative handling characteristics associated with overloading. With "normal" loads I would expect nothing but "normal" handling. Great bike.

mtbr member

Rock on with the Transports!

Glad to see some more pics of the transport in action. Fat franks look good on those bikes. How much room for tire is there in the rear of those things?
    Damnitman: Love the half-fat, and those crazy wrap around tire skirts, they look very funk-tional!
    Props to all youz Transporters.

somewhat schizophrenic
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    Please note-I'm not saying it is or has been twitchy...even with a 29'er/Fat Black Sheep Unicrown fork tweaking my HTA. I'm saying the top rack is built 4-or so inches higher than was really necessary...this higher potential center of gravity could exacerbate negative handling characteristics associated with overloading. With "normal" loads I would expect nothing but "normal" handling. Great bike.
    Agreed...I read one review somewhere that stated the handling became squirrelly with a very heavy load. Having ridden the Transport myself and loaded it up a few times though, I have a hard time imagining how to re-create that experience short of hauling a bunch of cinder blocks high up or waaaay in the back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast