Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 116
  1. #51
    Beastrider
    Reputation: BeastRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    311
    Went out for one of those "mind clearing" rides today. Found a few interesting places to get a photo.....

    All photos taken inside the city limits of Hampton, Virginia.

    <font size="5">Morning reflections off the water


    An old wall.....




    A bridge to?????.....


    A long way to the top.....
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    41

    Trek Transport 2012

    My new Trek Transport, on the streets of Oslo, Norway.

    Really, really loving this ride. Have a Civia Hyland built for longer commutes, but the Transport rules as a neighbourhood bike –*and is great fun on more extended errands as well.

    The kids just love it. Went to the movies the other day with two of them: The nine year old wanted to see his fave movie again, but the two year old needed to sleep. She could have slept in the child trailer we have, but the nine year old doesn't fit in there anymore. Solution: Strap our regular stroller onto the rear bar of the Transport –*and off we go. The stroller followed along nicely through town, the two year old fell asleep in it as soon as we got there and parked the bike, the nine year old was happy to see Studio Ghibli's The Secret World of Arietty one more time, and daddy was happy to wait outside looking after the sleeping one while reading Grant Petersons last book, Just Ride (recommended).

    A few tweaks has been made to the Transport, mainly these:

    Schwalbe Fat Fank 2.35 tires –*much more comfort and stability on gravel and rough surfaces.

    Brooks B17 – an issue of personal taste, it's actually the first time I try one of these leather saddles.

    Syntace VRO handlebar/stem –*nice 700mm width and 16 degree sweep. And super easy to adjust the stem length when my girlfriend wanna use the bike. Turn two allen keys, and the stem can be set everywhere from 55 to 105mm. Syntace

    Planet Bike Cascadia fenders –*the bike came with one short fender up front, none in the back. The Cascadia fenders are so much nicer and longer. The rear one required some bending of the steel stays to clear the frame tubes, and some zip ties to connect the fender to the rack as the seat stay bridge mount is placed too far forward and the bolt hole doesn't line up with the fender hardware due to the awkward, low angle of the stays. No big deal, though, and works perfectly now.

    GMG Junior classic child seat – ordered from Holland, where they realize that big kids sometimes needs a ride, too. (Had to cut off a bit of the metal hardware to make it fit, though, ordered without knowing the exact measures, and saw it slide on with 1mm clearance). CHILD SEAT BIKES - GMG JUNIOR (Code: JUN668394)

    A German Mirror and a Crane Suzu brass bell from Rivendell is useful, too! The eagle-eyed will probably see the Knog Blinder front light, too. Super small, very bright and can be plugged right into any USB port for charging.

    Now if I only could find a solution to the wimpy center stand. It's simply not wide enough to provide decent support when the bike is loaded. I'll look into it and get back if I find something that will work. This detail isn't a big one, but it's an important one. I don't want my two year old to touch the loaded bike when she's running around waiting to be put into her seat, because I fear it might fall over her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Trek Transport Thread-trektransport-kino1.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-trek-transport-gate-1200.jpg  

    Last edited by geiranders; 06-04-2012 at 04:00 PM.

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimhazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    A long way to the top.....
    If you want to rock & roll....

    Very cool. I like the license plate.

    Quote Originally Posted by geiranders View Post
    GMG Junior classic child seat – ordered from Holland, where they realize that big kids sometimes needs a ride, too. (Had to cut off a bit of the metal hardware to make it fit, though, ordered without knowing the exact measures, and saw it slide on with 1mm clearance). CHILD SEAT BIKES - GMG JUNIOR (Code: JUN668394)
    I like that seat. Saw a few in Paris last weekend; too bad they're not available in the U.S.

  4. #54
    Beastrider
    Reputation: BeastRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by geiranders View Post
    My new Trek Transport, on the streets of Oslo, Norway.

    Really, really loving this ride. Have a Civia Hyland built for longer commutes, but the Transport rules as a neighbourhood bike –*and is great fun on more extended errands as well.

    The kids just love it. Went to the movies the other day with two of them: The nine year old wanted to see his fave movie again, but the two year old needed to sleep. She could have slept in the child trailer we have, but the nine year old doesn't fit in there anymore. Solution: Strap our regular stroller onto the rear bar of the Transport –*and off we go. The stroller followed along nicely through town, the two year old fell asleep in it as soon as we got there and parked the bike, the nine year old was happy to see Studio Ghibli's The Secret World of Arietty one more time, and daddy was happy to wait outside looking after the sleeping one while reading Grant Petersons last book, Just Ride (recommended).

    A few tweaks has been made to the Transport, mainly these:

    Schwalbe Fat Fank 2.35 tires –*much more comfort and stability on gravel and rough surfaces.

    Brooks B17 – an issue of personal taste, it's actually the first time I try one of these leather saddles.

    Syntace VRO handlebar/stem –*nice 700mm width and 16 degree sweep. And super easy to adjust the stem length when my girlfriend wanna use the bike. Turn two allen keys, and the stem can be set everywhere from 55 to 105mm. Syntace

    Planet Bike Cascadia fenders –*the bike came with one short fender up front, none in the back. The Cascadia fenders are so much nicer and longer. The rear one required some bending of the steel stays to clear the frame tubes, and some zip ties to connect the fender to the rack as the seat stay bridge mount is placed too far forward and the bolt hole doesn't line up with the fender hardware due to the awkward, low angle of the stays. No big deal, though, and works perfectly now.

    GMG Junior classic child seat – ordered from Holland, where they realize that big kids sometimes needs a ride, too. (Had to cut off a bit of the metal hardware to make it fit, though, ordered without knowing the exact measures, and saw it slide on with 1mm clearance). CHILD SEAT BIKES - GMG JUNIOR (Code: JUN668394)

    A German Mirror and a Crane Suzu brass bell from Rivendell is useful, too! The eagle-eyed will probably see the Knog Blinder front light, too. Super small, very bright and can be plugged right into any USB port for charging.

    Now if I only could find a solution to the wimpy center stand. It's simply not wide enough to provide decent support when the bike is loaded. I'll look into it and get back if I find something that will work. This detail isn't a big one, but it's an important one. I don't want my two year old to touch the loaded bike when she's running around waiting to be put into her seat, because I fear it might fall over her.

    Those Fat Franks look GREAT on there!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

  5. #55
    Beastrider
    Reputation: BeastRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by slimhazy View Post
    If you want to rock & roll....

    Very cool. I like the license plate.

    I got the plate from this company.....

    Custom made affordable license plates
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

  6. #56
    biking where I'm going
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    51
    My folks met in Billysburg in the 1950s. I get over there from time to time (my grandmother still lives in the house she and my grandfather bought in the 1950s, when he was teaching at W&M). I'll have to alert you when I'm over that way, and we'll go for a ride. Hope you don't mind that my wife and I have a tandem recumbent!
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

    1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

  7. #57
    Beastrider
    Reputation: BeastRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeolounger View Post
    My folks met in Billysburg in the 1950s. I get over there from time to time (my grandmother still lives in the house she and my grandfather bought in the 1950s, when he was teaching at W&M). I'll have to alert you when I'm over that way, and we'll go for a ride. Hope you don't mind that my wife and I have a tandem recumbent!
    Anytime. Just give me a heads up. I don't mind a recumbent. Hope YOU don't mind that I rarely, if ever, get in much of a hurry.....
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

  8. #58
    biking where I'm going
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastRider View Post
    Anytime. Just give me a heads up. I don't mind a recumbent. Hope YOU don't mind that I rarely, if ever, get in much of a hurry.....
    Good with me.

    Nice to see you got the Billysburg reference. Not everyone does, even if they've been there a while.
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

    1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AWDfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    211
    Reading this thread is rather heartwarming. Maybe it's because I'm reading posts of fellow bike enthusiasts who enjoy easygoing (and even utilitarian!) riding as much as they enjoy winding through tight singletrack.

    Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more!

  10. #60
    Beastrider
    Reputation: BeastRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by AWDfreak View Post
    Reading this thread is rather heartwarming. Maybe it's because I'm reading posts of fellow bike enthusiasts who enjoy easygoing (and even utilitarian!) riding as much as they enjoy winding through tight singletrack.

    Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see more!
    A few night shots for you......ENJOY!!!!!

    Hampton, Virginia Coliseum


    A Gazebo at night


    Heading home.....

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by geiranders View Post
    My new Trek Transport, on the streets of Oslo, Norway.

    Really, really loving this ride. Have a Civia Hyland built for longer commutes, but the Transport rules as a neighbourhood bike –*and is great fun on more extended errands as well.

    The kids just love it. Went to the movies the other day with two of them: The nine year old wanted to see his fave movie again, but the two year old needed to sleep. She could have slept in the child trailer we have, but the nine year old doesn't fit in there anymore. Solution: Strap our regular stroller onto the rear bar of the Transport –*and off we go. The stroller followed along nicely through town, the two year old fell asleep in it as soon as we got there and parked the bike, the nine year old was happy to see Studio Ghibli's The Secret World of Arietty one more time, and daddy was happy to wait outside looking after the sleeping one while reading Grant Petersons last book, Just Ride (recommended).

    A few tweaks has been made to the Transport, mainly these:

    Schwalbe Fat Fank 2.35 tires –*much more comfort and stability on gravel and rough surfaces.

    Brooks B17 – an issue of personal taste, it's actually the first time I try one of these leather saddles.

    Syntace VRO handlebar/stem –*nice 700mm width and 16 degree sweep. And super easy to adjust the stem length when my girlfriend wanna use the bike. Turn two allen keys, and the stem can be set everywhere from 55 to 105mm. Syntace

    Planet Bike Cascadia fenders –*the bike came with one short fender up front, none in the back. The Cascadia fenders are so much nicer and longer. The rear one required some bending of the steel stays to clear the frame tubes, and some zip ties to connect the fender to the rack as the seat stay bridge mount is placed too far forward and the bolt hole doesn't line up with the fender hardware due to the awkward, low angle of the stays. No big deal, though, and works perfectly now.

    GMG Junior classic child seat – ordered from Holland, where they realize that big kids sometimes needs a ride, too. (Had to cut off a bit of the metal hardware to make it fit, though, ordered without knowing the exact measures, and saw it slide on with 1mm clearance). CHILD SEAT BIKES - GMG JUNIOR (Code: JUN668394)

    A German Mirror and a Crane Suzu brass bell from Rivendell is useful, too! The eagle-eyed will probably see the Knog Blinder front light, too. Super small, very bright and can be plugged right into any USB port for charging.

    Now if I only could find a solution to the wimpy center stand. It's simply not wide enough to provide decent support when the bike is loaded. I'll look into it and get back if I find something that will work. This detail isn't a big one, but it's an important one. I don't want my two year old to touch the loaded bike when she's running around waiting to be put into her seat, because I fear it might fall over her.
    The tires sure looks great you will enjoy your Brooks saddle I have two now both are great I need one more for my other bike too.I think you will like your bike pretty good nice job on the setup.

  12. #62
    Beastrider
    Reputation: BeastRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    The tires sure looks great you will enjoy your Brooks saddle I have two now both are great I need one more for my other bike too.I think you will like your bike pretty good nice job on the setup.
    Yes, it certainly DOES look great!!!!!

    An update for anyone that owns a Transport. I was out and about last Saturday. When I came out of a store I went to put the bike on the center stand. I realized that, for some reason, it wasn't stable. I thought, at first, it was the cement I was on. So I went to move the bike. The a small part fell off. I realized that the center stand looked a little odd. So, after checking it out, I found where the part had fallen from. Below are photos I took of the stand and the broken part. You MIGHT want to check this and see if you are having a similar issue. I have contacted TREK and the LBS about it and they are currently working on a solution. I have not, as yet, removed the stand as I am afraid that it might fall apart completely leaving me with no way to hold the bike upright. When I do finally remove it I'll get some better photos.















    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15

    Congratulations!

    Quote Originally Posted by geiranders View Post
    My new Trek Transport, on the streets of Oslo, Norway.
    Nice set up!

    My two kids are just past the pram age but I´m impressed by the way you bring the pram along. If I had had the same brilliant idea and a similar pram I might have tried pulling it back-wards behind the bike, attached by the handle to the rear rack, with the front wheel lifted. I imagine it might be more stable.

    My five yo now rides on a tag along bike, while my three yo sits in a Hamax Siesta (also a good seat!). I did however look at the GMG Junior classic child seat as an option for my five yo but opted for the tag along. The GMG seat looks to be a smart seat for older kids, but according to my LBS it might actually be going out of production, replaced by the Tipp Junior. At least that is what he said and the reason he stocked up a whole lot of them... Cykel barnstol - De Fietsfabriek | Holländska cyklar & lådcyklar

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB29erCurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    222
    Nice bike and set-up BeastRider. Not to high jack your thread here. I was gonna get the Transport from my LBS but they wouldn't match the closeout price I found on a Kona Ute. I figured as long as I've been a customer of theirs since 1967 that was the least they could do. Hey whats 120 bucks I said. So I just told them I was gonna get the Kona Ute but I will still be a loyal customer. I really liked the Transport too but 1100 bills was all I could come up with. Got the Kona for 1093 with shipping, my LBS wanted 1229 with tax for the Transport. Enjoy your Tansport and ride safe.
    Curt

    20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    531
    Well, I don't own the transport. That's because when i went to my local bike shop to look at it the Trek rep who was there said that they do not advocate carrying kids on the back. Ever. Ended up ordering a big dummy. Too bad for trek, but I guess the company knows about it. My LBS was not thrilled with the Trek guy.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB29erCurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Well, I don't own the transport. That's because when i went to my local bike shop to look at it the Trek rep who was there said that they do not advocate carrying kids on the back. Ever. Ended up ordering a big dummy. Too bad for trek, but I guess the company knows about it. My LBS was not thrilled with the Trek guy.
    WOW! A good way NOT to sell a bike. Hope you enjoy your Big Dummy.
    Curt

    20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    WOW! A good way NOT to sell a bike. Hope you enjoy your Big Dummy.
    Me too. It is due in mid Nov. the Yepp child seat Xtracycle sells is in, and looks very very nice.

  18. #68
    somewhat schizophrenic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12

    A Second Transport

    Greetings Beastrider!

    I picked up a Transport+ for my wife the other day. Hopefully I will put up a few posts about it soon. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone!

    Happy Transporting....

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290

    ...late again, as usual...

    ...They've been a while coming, but here are a couple pics of my Transport...


    The Trek Transport Thread-basket-lr.jpgThe Trek Transport Thread-dscn0078lr.jpgThe Trek Transport Thread-dscn0079-version-2lr.jpg
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  20. #70
    somewhat schizophrenic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12
    Hey Damnitman, I notice you've got most of your load riding behind the rear axle. Is this negatively affecting your handling?
    I ask because I'm setting up my wife's Transport with a kiddie seat and am contemplating how far back to put it....
    Play for more than you can afford to lose, and you will learn the game.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    ...the tote is empty, so I'd guess most of the weight was on the forward part of the rack...but yes, you should keep the weight forward. It handles fine with weight on the back due to the long wheelbase, but the rear rack is a touch higher than it could be (engineered high to give the battery-pack a place to hide), which could lead to...squirrely handling...no issue with a bag of dog food...but with a kid or a keg of beer, the stakes would be more substantial...all in all, awesome bike.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  22. #72
    somewhat schizophrenic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ..squirrely handling...no issue with a bag of dog food...but with a kid or a keg of beer, the stakes would be more substantial
    ...Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
    Play for more than you can afford to lose, and you will learn the game.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: damnitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,290
    Please note-I'm not saying it is or has been twitchy...even with a 29'er/Fat Black Sheep Unicrown fork tweaking my HTA. I'm saying the top rack is built 4-or so inches higher than was really necessary...this higher potential center of gravity could exacerbate negative handling characteristics associated with overloading. With "normal" loads I would expect nothing but "normal" handling. Great bike.
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Desert Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    368

    Rock on with the Transports!

    Glad to see some more pics of the transport in action. Fat franks look good on those bikes. How much room for tire is there in the rear of those things?
    Damnitman: Love the half-fat, and those crazy wrap around tire skirts, they look very funk-tional!
    Props to all youz Transporters.

  25. #75
    somewhat schizophrenic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    Please note-I'm not saying it is or has been twitchy...even with a 29'er/Fat Black Sheep Unicrown fork tweaking my HTA. I'm saying the top rack is built 4-or so inches higher than was really necessary...this higher potential center of gravity could exacerbate negative handling characteristics associated with overloading. With "normal" loads I would expect nothing but "normal" handling. Great bike.
    Agreed...I read one review somewhere that stated the handling became squirrelly with a very heavy load. Having ridden the Transport myself and loaded it up a few times though, I have a hard time imagining how to re-create that experience short of hauling a bunch of cinder blocks high up or waaaay in the back.
    Play for more than you can afford to lose, and you will learn the game.

  26. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    946
    Joined the ranks of the few & proud on 4/29/13. Gently used TT off CL for $800. Stoker bar added(free since I had some extra bars & stem) and tires soon to be swapped out for Fat Franks($70 pair) in brown to match the seat. Not a bad way to start!
    The Trek Transport Thread-image.jpg

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: transport trek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17

    my bike

    Here are my pictures trek transport. I will soon change some parts.
    New parts is
    1)Saddle Megasoft Cruiser Gel
    2)Grips Evo
    3)Mudguards Evo 2.15 inch
    4)Evo Alloy Forged Bar Ends Long Black
    5)Stanley Fatmax 28 inch tools box
    6)Rubbermaid 24 gallons Actionpacker for trailer
    7) Myrricle Mountain Mirror
    8)Ammo box front rack
    9)2 CCM kickstands
    10)Satori Zoom Heads-Up 4 Stem Extender
    11)Avid Disk Brake BB5 Rear wheel - 160mm

    Next part coming soon is:
    1)Loop H-Bar black Jeff Jones Bicycle
    2)Rockshox XC 28 TK fork
    3)And for 2014 Magic Pie 3 1000 watts front wheel kit and 2 lithium (Lifepo4)battery 48 volts 30 amps, 20amps and Schwalbe Marathon Pus Tour 2 inch for bike and trailer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Trek Transport Thread-photo-097.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-098.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-099.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-100.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-101.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-102.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-103.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-104.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-105.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-106.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-107.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-108.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-photo-109.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-trek-transport-2.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-trek-transport.jpg  

    The Trek Transport Thread-trek-transport-5.jpg  

    Last edited by transport trek; 05-17-2013 at 11:39 AM.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    946
    Made a few mods of my own this week, mainly related to keeping my stoker safe and happy

    Top rack cushion, made of 2 garden kneeler pads velcroed together at the handholds to make one long pad and then a kitchen tablecloth covering it to make it purty
    The Trek Transport Thread-image.jpg

    And then a rubber mat cut into fenders to keep his feet out of the wheels. I also put on footpegs made from flip down door stoppers. The intention was to flip them up when not in use but with the fenders, they sortof have to be stationary. But they are all of 4" wide, so they really aren't in the way anyways. Not super purty, but safe so oh well.....
    The Trek Transport Thread-image.jpg

    The more I use the TT(I got just shy of 50 miles on it in just 5 days of owning it), the more I am glad I went with the Trek simply for the dropped top tube. That is a way underappreciated feature that I wish more cargo bikes employed. I know when the Trek dies, I definately will get another dropped top tube cargo bike. I have fatter meats coming tomorrow. Putting on some Fat Franks!

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: transport trek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    17
    Good idea and good work!!!Oh a big balloon tires nice choice.

  30. #80
    'Tis but a scratch
    Reputation: huffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,770
    Just subscribing to the thread to learn and lurk. A Transport is one of my wish-list items.

  31. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19
    Anybody have any tips or tricks to hush the rattling side loaders?

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: The Trek Transport Thread

    rubbler

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nakedbabytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    946
    I used garden hose rubber washers. Worked like a charm & stopped the rattle. I don't own the TT anymore but the gent who bought it from me(for what I paid used, $800, 9 months later) appreciated the quiet ride.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19

    Trek Transport Review

    Have had the transport (2013 - 20in frame) for almost 8 months now. Got a good deal on it and it has been a great bike. Use it weekly for grocery store runs, weekend trips to Target, going down to the river, and more. Even took it on a 5 day tour.

    Very useful bike and plan on using it for a long time to come. I think I would get a Yuba Mundo if I had to do it all again though. The Transport side trays rattle (still haven't gotten around to getting hose washers, though putting the bag straps through the trays does help) and the side tray mounting holes are showing fatigue from heavy loads. The rear wheel should be much further back on the frame for stability - very noticeable if a passenger is towards the rear of the rack instead of the front. The aluminum frame can be flexy depending on how much weight you're carrying - it's best to stay seated, even when climbing. That said: the price was right, the bags are great, the little braze-ons are useful (have one that doesn't work though), it's not that heavy, you can stand it up for tighter storage, convertible dropouts for if you want an internal gear hub one day, my ortlieb panniers fit nicely (Yuba they didn't), the drivetrain it comes with is more than adequate, etc.

    Additions to the stock build:
    -PB cascadia fender on rear (front fender was fine to leave on for now)
    -fender extension on front
    -Stadium seat cushion rigged for passengers
    -Stoker bar: old bar cut down real short and stem shimmed with soda can
    -Old computer, lights, bell, 3M reflective tape
    -Trunk bag full of bungee cords, tie-down straps, and other junk
    -Changed stock saddle
    -Added wheel covers to keep passengers feet out of the rear wheel
    -Put an old BB5 on the rear wheel to replace the stock v-brake
    -Halo bolt on skewers

    The Trek Transport Thread-side-shot-transport.jpgThe Trek Transport Thread-rear-transport.jpg
    The Trek Transport Thread-transport-standing-up.jpg
    In vertical mode. Over 7ft tall.

    The Trek Transport Thread-fan-run.jpg
    Getting a box fan and metal shelving from Sears

    The Trek Transport Thread-cold-drink-break-top-hill-cvs.jpg
    On tour. Removed the front rack, side loaders, and passenger setup to save weight.

    The Trek Transport Thread-carrying-all-bags-tour.jpg
    Carrying all the bags while my wife is tired.

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    19

    More Transport photos and information

    The Trek Transport Thread-front-rack-mount-transport.jpg
    Mount for rack on front fork.


    The Trek Transport Thread-downtube-transport.jpg
    Plenty of options for cable routing. Useful since I'm considering getting a rolling jackass kickstand. The stock stand isn't awful, but you have to load your cargo very evenly.


    The Trek Transport Thread-rear-bumpers-transport.jpg
    Rubber/plastic bumpers. Helps you stand the bike up on end. Also, you'll bump this bike into walls and stuff so the bumpers are nice for that too.


    The Trek Transport Thread-transport-bag-interior.jpg
    Bag has 2 mesh pockets, a strap for if you need to cinch a load in (nice for when you can't zip the bag shut because it's overflowing), and an outer velcro pocket. Zippered top on the bag.


    The Trek Transport Thread-back-transport-bag.jpg
    Pannier attachments. No issues. The bags are difficult to carry so I leave them on the bike all the time. Those 2 black loops are the only carry points. You can fit 2-3 cloth grocery bags on each side of the bike in the Trek bags.


    The Trek Transport Thread-side-transport-bag.jpg
    If the bag is full, this side faces the rear and you could attach a light to the loop. I just run the outer straps through the black loop. Keeps them from dangling around.


    The Trek Transport Thread-no-bag-transport.jpg
    Bag removed. I cut the black wheel guards out of plastic/rubber stair tread and attached it using the frame braze-ons. I also moved the little pin which lets you fold/unfold the side loaders up to the front of the bike for easier access. Panniers clip onto the narrow horizontal bar. The zigzag bar lower on the frame is useful for using panniers like my ortliebs.


    The Trek Transport Thread-convertible-dropouts-transportr.jpg
    Convertible dropouts for if you want to run an internal gear hub. You can also see where I mounted the non-driveside fender.


    The Trek Transport Thread-driveside-fender-mount-transport.jpg
    Driveside fender mount. Most of the brazeons are on both sides of the frame. Fender wouldn't mount on the inside of the frame because the cassette would hit the bolt. You can see that hole below and to the right of the mount I'm using in the photo. I could've bent the fender and mounted outside of the frame down by the cassette, but this was easier.


    The Trek Transport Thread-under-rear-deck-transport.jpg
    Under the rear deck. I rotated the reflector, a PB superflash fits nicely on the silver metal bar.


    The Trek Transport Thread-rear-fender-gap.jpg
    Bit of a gap between the fender and the tire. Need to fab up a piece so there isn't so much space. The brazeon at the bottom of the fender doesn't work (just spins and doesn't unscrew), but it's not really needed.


    The Trek Transport Thread-fender-extender-transport.jpg
    Fender extender. More stair tread.


    The Trek Transport Thread-transport-cockpic.jpg
    Cockpit. Stock setup works fine. Added old computer, light, bell.


    The Trek Transport Thread-side-loader-folded-transport.jpg
    Side loader folded up.


    The Trek Transport Thread-side-folded-transport.jpg
    Side loader folded up from the rear. It fits through a regular door even with both side loaders folded down though. I keep the bags on all the time and never fold the side loaders up.


    The Trek Transport Thread-side-loader-rubber-piece-transport.jpg
    Stock rubber piece on the side loaders. Doesn't do much.


    The Trek Transport Thread-side-loader-wear-transport.jpg
    The aluminum side loaders are showing wear. A little hard to see and the other side that I didn't bother taking off the bike is worse. It says "Not a step" on each side loader, but people have a tendency to step there when getting on and off the back anyways. I flipped the side loaders over so that the holes would wear evenly.


    The Trek Transport Thread-anti-rattle-method-transport.jpg
    I found that wrapping the straps under the side loaders keeps the rattling to a minimum.

  36. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,739
    Lots of nice pics there. Congrats on acquiring the TT. I've been enjoying mine for my daily commuting for the last year and a half. Wind, sun, RAIN, RAIN, lots of wetness. It's a great bike. Great work out for sure with all the hills we have here.

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Having found thr Trek Transport at the LBS for a good price I've been reading what I can find about the bike. A transport bike has been in my mind for several years, maybe time to materialize that thought.

    I find the short wheel base relative to the loading area attractive as the bike then will be more agile when biking around town, compared to the surly big dummy. I will use this bike instead of my regular commute bike those days I will bring my kids to the kindergarden. I think the TT seems like a better alternative than the Big Dummy in a unloaded situation.

    To reduce the centre of gravity shift when the bike is loaded I can imagine that installing a hub motor on the fork will be beneficial. In Europe or at least Norway there is a 250w limit to elektric motors om bikes, so we cannot choose the factory electric TT, but are free to electrify how we like it better.

    Any thought on this from you who are regular users of the TT?

  38. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Not a whole lot out there on how to make TTs more kid friendly, so I thought I'd add this in case it helps anyone.

    It's easy to add foot rests for a kiddo. I usually just have one or two 5 gallon buckets bungeed on the bike for cargo rather than the OEM green bags, so the footrests aren't in the way. If they are, two M5 bolts on each side and the rests are off and you can run bags. 30 seconds.

    Simpson Strong Tie L brackets (local hardware store, about $1 each), some assorted hardware, and spare plywood are all you need. Oh, and a cheap floor mat ($3) from Home Depot if you don't want bare wood.

    I wrapped the frame in electrical tape so that the galvanized steel bracket didn't make direct contact with the Alu bike.

    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/mbrickell/embed/slideshow/Trek%20Transport%20child%20foot%20rests"></iframe>
    Last edited by syncro87; 10-01-2014 at 07:11 PM.

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro87 View Post
    Not a whole lot out there on how to make TTs more kid friendly, so I thought I'd add this in case it helps anyone.

    It's easy to add foot rests for a kiddo. I usually just have one or two 5 gallon buckets bungeed on the bike for cargo rather than the OEM green bags, so the footrests aren't in the way. If they are, two M5 nuts on each side and the rests are off and you can run bags. 30 seconds.

    Simpson Strong Tie L brackets (local hardware store, about $1 each), some assorted hardware, and spare plywood are all you need. Oh, and a cheap floor mat ($3) from Home Depot if you don't want bare wood.

    I wrapped the frame in electrical tape so that the galvanized steel bracket didn't make direct contact with the Alu bike.

    <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/mbrickell/embed/slideshow/Trek%20Transport%20child%20foot%20rests"></iframe>
    Nice work. Thanks for sharing. What if you used hinges on the brackets? Then you can fold them out of the way when not in use. Great job for sure!!

  40. #90
    7up
    7up is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    23
    Hello everyone,
    Just want to let you know I have joined the ranks with the purchase of a 2011 even though the LBS says that trek is calling it a 2014 model of which there is only one left in the L.A. warehouse countrywide.
    There is nothing like having something that could be a rare sight to see.Im contemplating wether I should do some serious mods to this bike.Ive been reading all I can on this bike.I am aware of the limitations or negatives. I'm waiting anxiously to get my hands on this bike so I can start studying it much closer.

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by 7up View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Just want to let you know I have joined the ranks with the purchase of a 2011 even though the LBS says that trek is calling it a 2014 model of which there is only one left in the L.A. warehouse countrywide.
    There is nothing like having something that could be a rare sight to see.Im contemplating wether I should do some serious mods to this bike.Ive been reading all I can on this bike.I am aware of the limitations or negatives. I'm waiting anxiously to get my hands on this bike so I can start studying it much closer.
    Nice! Welcome to the Transport world.

    Personally, I think the TT is highly underrated. Lots of people want to poo poo it because it's a Trek, it's not steel and/or two grand. Sure, it has it's limitations, but I think it's great for what the vast majority of cargo cyclists need to do. I admit that I kind of like the Unicorn factor, too, that you don't see one every two days riding around.

    I find that a real utilitarian way to haul stuff is an orange 5 gallon Home Depot bucket or two bungeed to the rear loaders. High vis for cars, and you can cram an amazing amount of crap in a 5 gallon bucket. Also, nobody wants to steal your expensive panniers. You look like a hillbilly, but I'm too old to care what anyone thinks I look like anymore, anyway.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6
    After a near miss riding home from my daughter's school, I came up with a foot guard idea to keep little feet out of the rear wheel.








  43. #93
    7up
    7up is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    23
    Thank you Syncro87 I like your ideas and how you implemented them as well as cost affectiveness.Id like to modify the ends of the kickstand just like the one they use on the new xtracycle but if I decide to keep the bike original I'm gonna buy another kickstand to modify preferably one made out of steel if there is such a specimen for strength.Next on the list is the disc-brake upgrade.

    Food for thought everyone.If I decided to modify the TT without a care in the world for keeping it original I'd like to #1 take the bike to a welder and have them shorten the height of the rear deck. #2 weld the front rack somehow to the head tube to help out in the steering department.#3 Drop the wheel size to 24 or 20 inch wheel for better strength and torque for electric modification with the Falco 500 watt system.

  44. #94
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,152
    What front fender are you using
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  45. #95
    7up
    7up is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    23
    @ junglekids - the transport comes from the factory with a ffont fender but has no rear fender.I went ti my LBS and perchased one for the rear.The only drawback is i had to buy the set.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1
    New to MTBR and recently saw this thread. I've had my Transport for a few years and it's worked well for around town. I generally use the TT once or maybe twice a week for groceries, Petsmart, and the occasional Home Depot run. Hopefully attached you will see the mostly stock bike in front of Tom Thumb on a night run for groceries last fall.

    I'm intrigued with the Fat Frank posts. I still have at least another year of wear left on the stock Bontrager's. But, the B's are just so "dead" and heavy feeling. I've been reluctant to change them as they have been bulletproof. However I have Schwalbe's on multiple bikes and find them durable. It would be good to hear more on Fat Frank experiences.
    The Trek Transport Thread-image.jpg

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankyone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    341
    Nice bike and awesome cute kid!

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3
    Just purchased a Trek Transport off CL 2 weeks ago and enjoyed looking thought the posts here! Mine did not come with the bag so I've been improvising with some others, but would love to have the original or something similar. Does anyone have suggestions that are less than the $150 Bontrager?

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by maryu View Post
    Just purchased a Trek Transport off CL 2 weeks ago and enjoyed looking thought the posts here! Mine did not come with the bag so I've been improvising with some others, but would love to have the original or something similar. Does anyone have suggestions that are less than the $150 Bontrager?
    Aloha maryu,

    Welcome to the "ohana". Yes, those crazy bags would be so expensive to acquire. I know Yuba sells them but those are no cheaper. Maybe do a google search for "cargo bike bags". You might find something useful. I wish I had a better answer. I bought my bike used and it came with two bags. Good luck with that. Let us know if you find anything.

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thank you so much! I did get a good deal so I can almost justify the price of one of these, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it! I'll see if anything turns up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •