Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trailers.........?

Is this the place to ask about trailers? If it is not, a mod can move this to the right place

A little background. I live and work in Tokyo Japan, right downtown, in Shinjuku, well, just a couple of good baseball throws from "right downtown" I guess

My lovely wife and I run her family's business, that is a liquor shop, among my many duties is doing the deliveries to restaurants and homes of customers. Right now I mainly use a three wheeled 50cc scooter, a Honda Gyro.

It is a workhorse and I've put a ton of miles on it, I've rebuilt the clutch once and I've rebuilt the motor twice.

The thing is about 80% of my deliveries are doable by a bicycle and trailer, and it would be a great way to get back into biking and get in shape.

I'm rebuilding my old Cannondale right now, you can see that thread >> HERE << so I'll use that as my pull bike.

I will build the trailer myself, I have a MIG welder and know how to use it, heck I built my own 14" bandsaw for my woodworking stuff

I guess before I go any further, I'll ask again; is this where I should be asking about building a trailer for my bike?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu, How much weight are you talking about? I'm thinking maybe modify a BOB Ibex to take 2 wheels on the swingarm so the bike and trailer are self standing when you stop to deliver. The suspension would work well for the, I assume, bottles and you could easily get 45Kg on there. The BOB connection to the bike is bullet proof and very simple to connect / disconnect when loaded or empty.

Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm
    Stu, How much weight are you talking about? I'm thinking maybe modify a BOB Ibex to take 2 wheels on the swingarm so the bike and trailer are self standing when you stop to deliver. The suspension would work well for the, I assume, bottles and you could easily get 45Kg on there. The BOB connection to the bike is bullet proof and very simple to connect / disconnect when loaded or empty.

Al

Thanks for the reply Al, the thing is, I'm in Japan, and getting a BOB trailer might be a bit costly. I have the tools and the skills to build whatever I want, "Have MIG Welder, Will Travel"

One case of beer weighs 27Kg, I would need to carry twice that on occasion, but usually closer to say 35 KG.

Here in Japan, some of the FedEx kind of guys use bicycles with trailers to do parcel delivery......
    Trailers.........?-electric_bike_trailer.jpg Name:  electric_bike_trailer2.jpg
Views: 4279
Size:  123.3 KB

They all use a hitch that hooks up to the seat post, I think part of that is because they don't want the arm on the side....? Dunno, but there are a lot of them around now, and they seem to work well.

There is a guy here who makes trailers, but the size is not exactly what I want.

Some videos of said trailer and it's hitch.

Trailer on the move

How the hitch works

I found the gimble thing here for about $8, and like I said, I can make the rest. My buddy owns a bike shop, (not a REAL bike shop, a local neighbour hood bike shop) and he gets throw away bikes from time to time, I've asked him to get me two 20" front wheels, they should work good for this.

>> Bicycle Trailer <<
    Here is the website that sell that trailer, yes it is all in Japanese, but you can click around and take alook.

Super light weight is not the main concern, I'm NOT going to be pulling this thing 8 hours a day, ease of use, safety, durability and reliability are important.

I think I can do this, now I just have to do some more head scratching.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu,

If you're going to build it yourself might I suggest you use 700 c wheels or simular but keep the bed height right down low like the red 20" version. The reason for this is to keep the centre of mass of your load well below the pivot point, which is your axle. This will give you a very real increase in stability and make it easy to handle even pushing by hand, even with two wheels. I've modded a BOB Yak and Ibex to take 26" Endo's, 29"s overall, the Ibex was a screaming disaster because the builder did it his way and didn't follow my drawings, the load was far too high. The Yak was more successful but I'm having the bed lowered this week by another 100mm because of the pivot point issue. I carry around 50Kg regularly and tow off road and dirt tracks here in Oz.

Here's a few links, I did quite a bit of research when deciding on mine. Not suggesting you buy but gather ideas instead.

Al

http://www.tonystrailers.com/singlewheelers/

http://www.radicaldesign.nl/en/produ...rs/cyclone.php

http://www.carryfreedom.com/products.html

mtbr member
    Al, a BIG thanks for that, the first link, Tony's trailers, has a ton of info, great reading!

I can get the 26" wheels with tires and tubes ready to do for free, maybe I will go that route. I was already planing on dropping the cargo carrying floor of the trailer fairly close to the ground, I just figured it would be better, but now reading that page I understand why it will be better, and more stable.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Pleasure Post some pics when you get it done.

mtbr member
    Pleasure Post some pics when you get it done.
    You bet, I'm a bit well known for posting a LOT of pictures when building something, mainly woodworking stuff.

I talked to my buddy accross the street today, and said I'd changed my mind, I want two 26" wheels, the type the come on a regular Japanese bike, aluminum rims, 1 3/8" rims. He told me that he threw out SIX bikes like that LAST NIGHT

Oh well, he will have a few more in the next week he figures.

I'll be putting up my design, I'd sure appreciate some critique of the design when I get it up.

Strong and light is the key I guess, I tend to WAY over build stuff, a card carrying member of the "When in doubt, build it stout" crowd.

It will be fairly thin square tube steel.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sounds good.

mtbr member
    OK, my Sketch up skills are slowly improving, but this is a basic concept.......

Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer.jpg

I did NOT draw them wheels, they were drawn by someone named Ben Wood, I modified the wheels slightly, took off the brake disk, but that is similar to the wheels I'll have, well mine will be a bit thinner and a much more smooth tread on the tires.

I've got a lot more head scratching and SU work to do, but it is coming along.

The tubing is all 1" square in this model, except for the ones no the very bottom, I'm thinking I'll put light expanded mesh in the frame work, dunno yet really, still at the "Huh?" stage

mtbr member
    Another view.........

Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer_3.jpg

More work to do on the trailer, I'm thinking of wooden slats on the bottom and on the sides of the cargo area, they would be durable (I'd use Ash for the wood) and light weight. I'll also be making some kind of brake, for each wheel hooked together, that when engaged would push against the tires, think old time wagon I would need something to stop the trailer from moving around while I'm loading and unloading it.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu,

Lookin' good, I'd be inclined to use a light mesh on the floor and sides, drains easily and is light and strong + doesn't eat into your cargo space. ie No loss of volume. For the draw bar I'd be inclined to make the two bottom rails long enough to come out and then sweep up with a curve that makes them meet in the centre line of the trailer and then follow a radius of the rear wheel of your bike as one tube, terminating at a hitch on the seat post. The top rails would then come out on the same plane, curve inwards to the centre line and intersect the tow bar (bottom bar) and simply terminate there. This would make the draw bar very strong.

I'd like to be able to draw it for you but have no idea how to go about doing so !!!!

Al

mtbr member
    Stu,

Lookin' good, I'd be inclined to use a light mesh on the floor and sides, drains easily and is light and strong + doesn't eat into your cargo space. ie No loss of volume. For the draw bar I'd be inclined to make the two bottom rails long enough to come out and then sweep up with a curve that makes them meet in the centre line of the trailer and then follow a radius of the rear wheel of your bike as one tube, terminating at a hitch on the seat post. The top rails would then come out on the same plane, curve inwards to the centre line and intersect the tow bar (bottom bar) and simply terminate there. This would make the draw bar very strong.

I'd like to be able to draw it for you but have no idea how to go about doing so !!!!

Al
    Al, I do understand what you are talking about, but I do not own a pipe bender, which, by far, would be the easiest way to do that.

I've been fooling with SU some more.......
    Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer_back.jpg

Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer_bottom.jpg

Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer_front.jpg

Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer_left_side.jpg

Trailers.........?-delivery_trailer_top.jpg

Sorry for all the pics

I'd like a more elegant curve or whatever, but I don't want to make it too complex either, as the more cuts I have to make and the more welding, which in turn, can give you more points of possible failure.

Maybe I should invest in a pipe bender and then use some round pipe for this

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu,

If you build it the way you've drawn it now, you'll need a 45 (ish) degree vertical brace from the top horizontal bar of the tow bar to the top horizontal tube of the cargo frame. The tow bar as it stands now is inherently weak due to the fulcrum effect of the load and tow bar.

I can give you a tip for bending pipe without a pipebender, find a nice flat surface like a beam, that is solidly held down. Wrap 3 or 4 turns of half inch rope loosely enough around it so you can slide your chosen diameter pipe under it. Pick the point where you want your bend to start and gently apply upwward pressure, don't over do it. Release the pressure and move the pipe along, repeating step 1. Simply keep doing this untill you have your desired curve. If you take it slowly and do it bit by bit you'll wind up with a nice smooth curve. Another way of bending pipe is to find an object that has the desired radius you require and then finding a way to secure one end of your pipe and then simply bend your pipe around the object. Because you require a gentle radius you can get away with it if you're careful in your approach. I've used both the mentioned methods successfully at work over the years.

If you are successful in bending a piece of pipe you can then modify the draw bar section on your drawing to form an A frame, once braced, it would be more than adequate, strength wise, and would look quite professional. Who knows, you may get people placing orders........

Al

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Al, I know a nice graceful curve would be MUCH better, I wonder how your bending technique would work with square tubing?

I wish I knew a shop around here that would bend it for me, but most shops like that are not set up to take on walk in trade, and are usually quite closed to the idea, must be a Japan, or maybe better, a "Tokyo" thing

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I did a little research and I found >> THIS << page, loads of info on bending tubes

I built the MDF jig, and even though I only had a fairly short piece of square tube, 2cm square, I was able to make a nice smooth bend!

Trailers.........?-tube_bending_jig.jpg
    It was really simple, even with the short piece of tube, I was able to bend it using just muscle power, I did not have to use the larger piece of pipe that is laying on the bench.

Trailers.........?-bent_tube_wheel.jpg
    Next to a wheel, you can get an idea of the size etc, this should work well.

I'll be going to the DIY shop tomorrow to get some more steel tubes!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mate,

That looks red hot, well done. It'll give your trailer a professional look. Now I think you can change to an A frame setup for your draw bar, it'll save weight and not sacrifice strength.

Great site BTW, very practical.

Al

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was kind of surprised at how easy it was to do!

Yep, a curved or bent A-frame I guess. I'll have to update my SU drawing.......... when I figure out curves that is

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I went out to the DIY home center place today. I got all the steel I need, I think, and I downsized the steel a bit more.

I saw a number of hand carts that were rated anywhere from 100Kg to 500 KG and they were not nearly as stout as the trailer I'm planing on building, so I figured I can easily downsize the tubing from 2.5cm to 1.9 cm, it will still be very strong I think.

Trailers.........?-small_tailer1.jpg Trailers.........?-small_trailer2.jpg
    Here is a little hand cart, it has 18" wheels and looks rather fragile, but it was rated to hold 100Kg (220 pounds) and the wheels were really wobbly, cost about $100. I looked at it as a possible unit to be modified, but then gave it up, too much work and I really did not think it was that well made.

Trailers.........?-folding_aluminium_trailer.jpg
    Here is a better cart, and this one folds, the whole thing comes apart, all aluminum too, but nearly $400 and still not what I want. rated at 150 Kg, 20" wheels.

Trailers.........?-big_tailer.jpg
    Then in the back I found this much larger cart in the back, about $550, and rated at 500 Kg built like a tank, and weighs as much too

Trailers.........?-tailer_wheels.jpg
    They were selling wheels, but I have that covered, the 20" wheels are about $40 each with tubes and tires and the big trailer wheels are 25" and where $100 each and weighed about 25 pounds EACH!

Trailers.........?-tube_cutter_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-tube_cutter_2.jpg

Trailers.........?-tube_cutter_3.jpg

I made up a jig to cut the tubes at a 45 angle using my sawsall, I do have a large abrasive cutter, but it never leaves a nice 45 and is always smelly with sparks and smoke, this is much nicer!

Trailers.........?-mini_dumper.jpg
    Finally, just for fun, I saw this mini dumper in the parking lot

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I did some more fooling around on SU.................

Trailers.........?-19_mm_trailer_front.jpg

Trailers.........?-19_mm_trailer_left.jpg

Trailers.........?-19_mm_trailer_rear.jpg

I hope that is starting to look better

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu,

Looks good. I reckon it'll be very robust for what you require. I think it'll also be very easy to manoeuvre by hand when required. Looking forward to it's maiden voyage. Overload it and push it around by hand and to see if it flexes at all, do some fast sideway manoeuvre's.

Al

mtbr member
    Thanks Al

I need to put some sizes on there, I think that it looks a lot bigger than it really is, maybe I'll import a mountain bike and put it in place, like it was ready to pull the trailer just for a reference

It is going to be 75.6 cm wide and 83.9 cm long (not counting the draw bar, which is mostly over the back wheel of the bike) or 29 3/4" wide by 33" long.

I'll be sure to do some testing with extra weight in if for sure, I would not want something to go wrong while it's loaded down with beer!

mtbr member
    More fooling with SU, adjusting wheel size, and adding a little more clearance on the bottom of the trailer. I has about 3" now, and that may not seem like a lot, but the streets around here are really smooth, and no big curbs to hop.

Trailers.........?-19mm_trailer_with_bike_rt_side.jpg

Trailers.........?-19mm_trailer_with_bike_front.jpg

Trailers.........?-19mm_trailer_with_bike_back.jpg

I can't really start the build until I get the wheels and I get the bike on the road, as I need so check some critical dimensions, but I like how this model is looking

Cheers!

mtbr member
    My other hobby is woodworking, and I just got pointed to this thread over at OWWM.....

>> Here <<

This guy is seriously hardcore, hauling that much old arn with a bike and trailer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu In Tokyo
    I'll also be making some kind of brake, for each wheel hooked together, that when engaged would push against the tires, think old time wagon I would need something to stop the trailer from moving around while I'm loading and unloading it.

Cheers!
    If you don't need a brake while mounting/dismounting the bike with a loaded trailer but only while it is unattended, a simple chock will do. The wedges could be stored in a rack on the trailer with a tether to make sure they don't get left behind.

The pivoting contact brake of a piece of bent flat steel like that used on wheelchairs is a rotating chock. If you need to activate and release the brake while on the bike, then consider these with a return spring, cable, and activating lever with a latch like a car's parking brake lever to pull, hold, and return these chocks to the off position.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    If you don't need a brake while mounting/dismounting the bike with a loaded trailer but only while it is unattended, a simple chock will do. The wedges could be stored in a rack on the trailer with a tether to make sure they don't get left behind.

The pivoting contact brake of a piece of bent flat steel like that used on wheelchairs is a rotating chock. If you need to activate and release the brake while on the bike, then consider these with a return spring, cable, and activating lever with a latch like a car's parking brake lever to pull, hold, and return these chocks to the off position.

Hi Brian, thanks for the comments!

I want a brake as a few of the places I have to load/unload stuff are sloped sidewalks, with quite a few people walking by. I'm figuring on something like a wheelchair, or imagine the brake on an old wagon, just something to push against the tire should suffice.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu, If you can drop the bed hight and get away with it it'll certainly increase your stability and payload capacity.

Had a look at the link, wild dude.....only draw back with his trailer is the fact his hitch would have a very high weight on it which in turn causes a lot of stress. Your wheel position is much better as you can 'balance' your load a lot easier to keep hitch weight to a minimum. A bit of weight biased to the front is always best but you don't want too much.

BTW, that mini dumper, take off the cab and the bloody thing would near be small enough to tow behind the bike I'd like to see a couple of Aussie bricklayers gettin' into that cab......

Al

mtbr member
    Stu, If you can drop the bed hight and get away with it it'll certainly increase your stability and payload capacity.

Had a look at the link, wild dude.....only draw back with his trailer is the fact his hitch would have a very high weight on it which in turn causes a lot of stress. Your wheel position is much better as you can 'balance' your load a lot easier to keep hitch weight to a minimum. A bit of weight biased to the front is always best but you don't want too much.

BTW, that mini dumper, take off the cab and the bloody thing would near be small enough to tow behind the bike I'd like to see a couple of Aussie bricklayers gettin' into that cab......

Al
    Yeah, I have a small van like that, and it is kind of like a clown car when I'm getting in and out of it

My cargo space will be about 3 1/2" off the ground, I think that is fairly low, and it should be really stable.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Stu ,how will you keep the bike upright while you are loading and unloading?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon
    Stu ,how will you keep the bike upright while you are loading and unloading?
    Just a simple side stand. The bike and the trailer are connected through a hitch that is much like a tie-rod end. The trailer will stand on it's own, of course, and with a simple friction brake will not move, the bike will lean on it's side stand.

No problem..................... I think
    To Canadians Hockey is not just a game, it's OUR Game.....!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Just a simple side stand. The bike and the trailer are connected through a hitch that is much like a tie-rod end. The trailer will stand on it's own, of course, and with a simple friction brake will not move, the bike will lean on it's side stand.

No problem..................... I think
    hope your right but a side stand on a hill on the wrong side is going to piss you off pretty quick. you'lll need to lock the wheels pretty tight and place things in there very gently to avoid up and down movement knocking it off the side stand. might be worth looking at http://www.biketrailershop.com/catal...tand-p-53.html

mtbr member
    Wow, blast from the past, I used to have a kickstand like that on an old CCM bike I had as a kid

I could do that, or adapt one of the typical stands that they use on the newspaper delivery bikes here.

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    The Xtracycle, Big Dummy, and the old delivery bikes (still made by Workman) have two legged stands. There has to be good reason for such consistency. A locking fork with a one-leg stand is another method to get a stable tripod.

My brother's (then mine) old CCM had a pressed steel galvanized bipod stand (from Canadian Tire) with each leg geared together and a coil spring to keep them retracted. As they were used, the spring stretched and the legs would begin to have freeplay when retracted and a rattling noise like the fenders were falling off. Really crude and heavy (see 'clunky' in a picture dictionary and it's there) compared to that Swiss unit.

Yes, (CCM reference made me loook, just noticed your by-line), the record golds were very nice way to break the dought, but the capper was the Hockey Gold on Canadian soil.

mtbr member
    Well getting back to this build, I've almost got the bike together, just waiting on the headset to arrive, and I have gotten one free wheel from my buddy at the bike shop, and should get another in a week or so, but one is enough to start working on the trailer.

Just to show you what kind of loads I plan to carry, here is my little 50cc three wheeled scooter that I usually do deliveries on....

Trailers.........?-daily_load_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-daily_load2.jpg

Not a little amount, but not too much either.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Belieive it or not, I found that stand for sale here.....

http://www.unico-jp.com/w_stand.html

I'm going to try to get one for sure.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I got started on the actual build today.

I don't do a lot of welding in the Dungeon, not the best place in the world to be welding, so before I do start any welding I take the air hose and blow out any dust, and then I vacuum the place like a clean freak on speed

I really go to town to make sure there is nothing down there that will catch on fire easily.

When I'm done welding for the day, I make sure I stay behind at least an hour just to make sure and I again do a good solid clean up. I do have a VERY good exhaust system, it will empty the entire volume of the room ten times in a hour, so I do have lots of fresh air.

I got the first bit of frame built and I should get the wheel mounts on tonight as well.

All said and done, this is not going to be that big of a job, should go fairly quickly.

Trailers.........?-build2.jpg

Trailers.........?-build1.jpg
    Lousy iPhone pics

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu,

You're on your way mate. I'll look again in a few days, I'm off on Tues 0730 to do a 500 Km offroad ride. I'll be towing my modded BOB Yak.

Good luck with the build.

Al

mtbr member
    Thanks Al!

Sounds like a serious trip, how many days? I imagine you will be camping? Hope it is sunny everyday

I got some more done.......

Trailers.........?-build_2_wheels1.jpg

Trailers.........?-build_2_wheels2.jpg
    With both wheels attached. Only one wheel is a keeper, the other is junk, but I took it just to have a second wheel for the build. I'm sure I'll get another decent wheel in a week or so.

Trailers.........?-build_2_wheels_cargo_mock_1.jpg
    Here I mocked up the cargo area, just to see, I gave it about 3 1/2" of ground clearance, for around town only, I think this will be more than enough, and I'll build it so the trailer is level when attached to the bike, maybe just a bit biased towards the bike I guess.

Trailers.........?-build_2_wheels_cargo_mock_2.jpg
    This is the angle the trailer would take when not attached to the bike, not a steep angle at all.

I realize that this set up would not be good for off-road, but I have zero intentions of ever taking it off-road, heck off-road is a LONG ways from downtown Tokyo where I live

Tomorrow, I hope to get the rest of the cargo area done, welded up, I'm just about out of wire for my MIG, and the wire I have is a bit on the thick side, 0.9mm so I have to run the MIG hot and slow, not the easiest way to weld. If I can I'll get some more wire but thinner stuff, to make the welding easier.

I think I'll paint this thing red, just like my bike and so I can call it my "Little Red Trailer"

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu,

Looks great. I'd be inclined to keep it level. You can add bias by shifting weight in the bed, and yep, for around town that should be plenty of clearance. Only thing to watch for is dropping over curbs, not sure if that's an issue for you.

I'll be on the track for a month and camping for the last 15, the first 15 night are in purpose built trail huts.

Until this morning the weather has been great, 25 C and blue sky.....now it's raining, bloody typical....

Catcha,

Al

mtbr member
    Wow Al, that is quite the trip, good for you!

I hope you do a little write up of your trip when you get back, safe travels!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I got the main part of the trailer welded up.....

Trailers.........?-main_body_done1.jpg

Trailers.........?-main_body_done2.jpg
    I think it looks good, the welding is not perfect, I'm using fairly thick wire at a slow speed on thin tubing, so it is a bit messy.... Thanks goodness for the angle grinder

Once my headset arrives and I can put m bike together, I'll be able to figure out the exact height the tow arms need to be.

On to the brakes....

Trailers.........?-brake_idea1.jpg
    I think this is the area that I'll be putting the brakes, the front part of the wheels.

I'm thinking something like you would see on an old wagon, it is not to stop the trailer while in motion, but to keep it still while loading and unloading.

Trailers.........?-brake_idea2.jpg
    Something like this with a crescent shaped shoe actually contacting the tire might just be all I need. It would be nice to link them together, but maybe that is going way over kill

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    A sector of bike rim would give you the cresent you need for a shoe. They would jam tighter as the wheel rolls, especially forward. Don't see a need for a liner as they will not be worn by stopping the cart while it is in motion. Only if wet tires needed a more agresive surface like a piece of knobby or studded bike tire. Linking would likley cost more time, money, weight, and complexity than benefit, but woud be cool. A single hydraulic or air Master and twin actuators? A cocked spring and cable actuated spring release?

mtbr member
    A sector of bike rim would give you the cresent you need for a shoe. They would jam tighter as the wheel rolls, especially forward. Don't see a need for a liner as they will not be worn by stopping the cart while it is in motion. Only if wet tires needed a more agresive surface like a piece of knobby or studded bike tire. Linking would likley cost more time, money, weight, and complexity than benefit, but woud be cool. A single hydraulic or air Master and twin actuators? A cocked spring and cable actuated spring release?
    I really think just a simple hardwood shoe, maybe lined with leather or some old tire would do nicely............... not that I'm against the pneumatic actuated system... but the reasons that you mentioned, time, cost and weight will most likely see me go with something way simpler

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    What system are you using to secure the axles Stu? I like the hardwood blocks as well, two chocked on both sides of the tires. Simple effective and old school cool. Paint them yellow and you'll look very 安全.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    What system are you using to secure the axles Stu? I like the hardwood blocks as well, two chocked on both sides of the tires. Simple effective and old school cool. Paint them yellow and you'll look very 安全.
    When did "Anzen" become cool

What do you mean about the axles? I have two tabs welded to the underside of the trailer frame that I drilled holes in and then cut slots, much like the ends of a fork, the wheel axles go into the slot and the bolts are tightened.

Should work fine............... I think...........

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I was a safety officer in a factory here, anzen is very cool. Your tabs wil work great, I just hadn't seen any pics of them and wondered how you were going to attach the wheels. Another week and you should be rolling, looking forward to the rollout.

mtbr member
    OK, Anzen is cool

The main thing holding me up is the headset arriving from the US, I need to get the bike together so I can make sure the trailer will ride level etc when I make the draw bars.

I too look forward to the roll out

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I got my expanded mesh for the sides of the trailer....
    Trailers.........?-mesh_sides1.jpg

Trailers.........?-mesh_sides2.jpg

I think it looks not bad at all

I also wanted to show how I put the tabs on for the axles.....

Trailers.........?-axle_tabs_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-axle_tabs_2.jpg

Nothing complex, but it works fine!

I also got some "U" bolts to make the hitch mount, that will attach to the seat post.......

Trailers.........?-hitch_mount_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-hitch_mount_2.jpg

I'll most likely us a bit heavier gauge square tubing, as this will be a weak point, in fact, I might make the mounting plate a little bigger to give me more space to put down some mondo welds

I'm still waiting on the headset for the bike to arrive, so I can put that together, then I can figure out the final height and length of the draw bars.

Next up is some paint, and then the wooden floor.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Looking good Stu! Whats the weight looking like?

mtbr member
    Looking good Stu! Whats the weight looking like?
    Not sure, it is actually fairly light, the wheels are aluminum, and the tubes are all fairly light, I honestly don't know, certainly under 20Kg, I bet it is closer to 12 Kg or so, I can easily lift it by myself, no worries.

I'll have to borrow the bathroom scale and find out

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Did you consider camber and caster for the wheels? 3.5inches should be plenty of ground clearance unless you have steep hills to climb. Looks good, how much does the whole thing weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii
    Did you consider camber and caster for the wheels? 3.5inches should be plenty of ground clearance unless you have steep hills to climb. Looks good, how much does the whole thing weight?
    Hi Yogii

I did not consider the caster and camber, I just put the two wheels parallel to each other as best I could.

I don't know how much it weighs, it is not a lightweight aluminum trailer, but it was never meant to be, I'll not be hauling this on long touring rides, but on around the neighborhood deliveries for our liquor shop. No steep hills here, mainly on the flats that I'll be pulling this rig.

I'm really excited to get it on the road, I know my neighbours and customers are going to look at me like I'm some kind of nut, but as I'm a foreigner here to start with, no big surprise there

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Having a good day today!

My headset arrived, and the bipod bike stand also arrived, add to that I got the tow bar done on the trailer, so yeah, I'm having a good day!

Using a piece of tubing that I bent as practice, and centering it on the trailer, I wanted to see how long the tow bars would have to be.......

Trailers.........?-tow_bar_plan1.jpg

Trailers.........?-tow_bar_plan2.jpg

I would like to keep the trailer fairly close to the back wheel of the bike, but I do need some space, so there is some clearance.

Trailers.........?-pivot_point.jpg
    I also wanted to put the pivot point fairly close to being over the rear axle, I figure this would be the best spot for it, if you look at the bolt I put on top of the tube.

To bend the tubes I made a very simple, but effective bending jig.....

Trailers.........?-bending_jig_1.jpg
    Yes it is dog simple

Trailers.........?-bending_jig_5.jpg
    I make sure that the seam in the tube in against the jig, I got this info from the site that I found this jig on.

Trailers.........?-bending_jig_2.jpg
    I marked both tubes at the 40cm mark, so I could start from the same point.

Trailers.........?-bending_jig_3.jpg
    Then I just grab the tube and bend it, it really is easy to do, but I guess the length of the tube helps, as it acts like a lever.
    You can see the two black lines on the jig, this is the point that I bent the tube until, there is always some spring back.

Trailers.........?-bending_jig_4.jpg
    I just used the corner of the jig to check for a nice 90 degree bend, works well.

Trailers.........?-bending_jig_6.jpg
    Here are the two bent tubes on top of each other, it is important to be able to bend them the same.

Trailers.........?-laser_alignment_1.jpg
    I cut the tubes and then I tacked them onto the trailer. Once I had them lined up, but best I could, I broke out my laser level and had a look, the laser level was lined up with the very center of the trailer and the laser hits the very center of the tow bar, good enough for me!

Cont................

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    ..... once I had the tow bars tacked in place, I went to town welding it up.

Trailers.........?-tow_bar_done_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-tow_bar_done_2.jpg

I think that looks good, it is very solid, I was a bit concerned that it would be a bit flimsy, but it is not, it is really skookum

At the connection point of the two tow bars, I will add a plate, and maybe a cross piece as well....
    Trailers.........?-tow_bar_cross_brace.jpg

That is just laying on top, I would cut it and weld it up so that it sits flush.

Next will be the hitch and then the brakes, after that, paint.

I'm really looking forward to the maiden ride, of both the bike and the trailer.

Oh yeah, I weighed the trailer and as it sits now, it is just a tick under 17Kg, or 37.5 lbs, should come in around 40 lbs all done, not the lightest, but it should hold up to some use.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    ..... once I had the tow bars tacked in place, I went to town welding it up.
    Did you put the twist in the tow bars so they meet, before or after tacking them in place?

..... Oh yeah, I weighed the trailer and as it sits now, it is just a tick under 17Kg, or 37.5 lbs, should come in around 40 lbs all done, not the lightest, but it should hold up to some use. Cheers!
    Assuming the welds are strong even though you claimed them inelegant, the wheels and not the frame will be the limit on the carrying capacity. I have a steel reinforced plywood garden cart that isn't this well built, that is supposedly good for over 200 kg, The 22 mm axle is strong enough as are the heavy rims, the steel hubs, and large bearings, but I managed to bend a couple of spokes (welded in) with a load of firewood.

However, towing and braking capacity are different matters, entirely!

Looks great!

mtbr member
    Thanks Brian!

I got the bi-pod stand on the bike as well as the fork, finally, as I got the headset

Trailers.........?-bipod_stand_install.jpg
    There is the bi-pod stand installed, it sure is slick and looks to be very stable!

Trailers.........?-bipod_stand_spacer.jpg
    I did have to make a spacer for it, the legs of the stand were just a bit too short, but more importantly, the area on the bottom of my Canondale that the stand mounts to was not flat, one of the chainstays was a bit taller, or thicker, this made the stand sit cocked to one side. The spacer has a groove cut in it to make the stand sit flat.

Trailers.........?-brakes_done.jpg
    I got the brakes done, and then realized that I did not get black cable guides, these ones look kind of odd, to me, but I also screwed up, and cut the short cable for the front brakes, which left too little cable for doing the one gear shifter Yes my bonehead card has been renewed

Also, the knob things on the ends of the cables are too small (not meaning to sound too technical ) the holes in my brake levers are larger, I guess I need some sort of adapter or some cables with a bit bigger knob things

The bike is really starting to look like a bike again......

Trailers.........?-fat_pepperoni_fork.jpg

..... I just LOVE that big fat Pepperoni fork, looks much better, as the rest of the bike is really oversized tubes, the fork now looks right, the old steel one always looked too skinny.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    If the knob things are too small it probably means that you are using shifter cables with your brakes. Shifter cables are skinnier since they don't get the same amount of force as brake cables. I have never tried it but you will probably just get more cable stretch with the thinner cables.

Other than that the bike and trailer look great. I was wondering though why you put the expanded mesh on the outside on the sides. it probably doesn't matter but I think it would have been stronger and prevent things from catching on the frame when being taken out of the trailer.

You might also want to put some sort of solid wall on the front to protect your cargo from road grime.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Eric.

The brake cables are 1.6mm and the shifter cables are 1.2mm.

I think the knobbie things are just fine, they seem to work fine, as I took the bike for a ride, just a quicky, as it was raining

Trailers.........?-all_finished_1.jpg

I put the expanded mesh on outside, as I did not want to loose cargo space, I did leave it fairly tight for size.

Your idea about a solid piece in front is a good one, I won't be riding that far, nor on rainy days, but still, food for thought, thanks!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I put the expanded mesh on outside, as I did not want to loose cargo space, I did leave it fairly tight for size.
    The mesh tends to be a bit 'catchy' (gloves, skin), so I think outside isn't a bad idea from an ergonomic view. It will stil act to counter diagonal movement, and strength you have in spades.

Your idea about a solid piece in front is a good one, I won't be riding that far, nor on rainy days, but still, food for thought, thanks!
    Having renoved a gooseneck truck trailer, I concur about a solid front panel being good in the rain. I suggest that a panel of the hollow core plastic panel that has the cross walls, cut to size and installed when needed. Not sure whether your streets generate wind tunnel effects, but removable panel(s) would be noce on a dry windy day.

mtbr member
    The mesh tends to be a bit 'catchy' (gloves, skin), so I think outside isn't a bad idea from an ergonomic view. It will stil act to counter diagonal movement, and strength you have in spades.

Having renoved a gooseneck truck trailer, I concur about a solid front panel being good in the rain. I suggest that a panel of the hollow core plastic panel that has the cross walls, cut to size and installed when needed. Not sure whether your streets generate wind tunnel effects, but removable panel(s) would be noce on a dry windy day.
    Brian, do you mean the stuff that looks like cardboard, but is made from plastic? That would work well, light weight and durable, not that I'll be riding much in the rain, if at all, the customers don't like their deliveries soaking wet

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I got the hitch member that attaches to the seat post mostly done today, I also put my Blackburn rack on the bike. I looks like the tow bars will clear the rack just fine, unless I try any curb hoping, and then only if the bike is way off track to the trailer, not likely to happen, so I think it will be OK.

Trailers.........?-hitch_work_2.jpg
    Here is where the trailer will sit in relation to the hitch gimble, so I have to add to the trailer to make up the difference, and something for the round bar on the gimble to go into, to make the connection between the two.

Trailers.........?-hitch_unused_position.jpg
    This will be the position the hitch sits in when not in use, I will weld two flat pieces on either side of the tube, so the hitch will sit between them.

Should work out fine.

Tomorrow is Sunday, and I hope to take a trial run with the trailer in tow, then the brakes, paint and a wooden floor. Dunno if I'll get all of that done on Sunday or not, but I'll give it a good try

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Good luck. Hope it's not snowing!

mtbr member
    Good luck. Hope it's not snowing!
    Thanks, and yeah, there was snow on the ground this morning.....WTF

It is the middle of April for crying out loud

Supposed to be nice and sunny, spring like

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Brian, do you mean the stuff that looks like cardboard, but is made from plastic? That would work well, light weight and durable, not that I'll be riding much in the rain, if at all, the customers don't like their deliveries soaking wet

Cheers!
    Exactly. I have a 6' x 6' Nixon (Liberal, Ontario) political poster made from it. Very light very rigid and fairly inexpensive. (Cheaper if you find a sign in the trash.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu, dropped in to have a look at the progress. You're steamin' ahead and it's lookin' good.

I could have done with a two wheel trailer a couple of times in the last few day, it wouldn't have 'fallen' over......

I'm sure the test run will go just fine.

Al

mtbr member
    Al sorry about your tip overs, I hope there was no damage to anything. How is your trip going are you getting better weather now?

My test run did go very well, I'm really, really pleased with this trailer

Trailers.........?-test_ride_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-test_ride_2.jpg
    A couple of pics with the trailer hitched up ready to roll.

Trailers.........?-test_ride_cases.jpg

I then put a couple of cases of beer (the cases were empty bottle) and had a good run around the area, it worked just fine and dandy!
    You can certainly feel the trailer back there as the conection point is the seat post, so you fee the bumps and such from the trailer, but it really is not a big deal. The hitch has just a very little bit of play in it, but it sure bangs around and makes a fair bit of noise I'm sure I'll get used to it, as by the end of the ride I was already feeling fine with it, but at first I had to stop several times to make sure that nothing was loose, it was fine.

Trailers.........?-test_ride_front.jpg

The whole trailer is just a bit wider than the bars, you can't really see that in this pic, but I took it anyway

I found that so far, I don't see any need for the brakes on the trailer, I parked the rig on the driveway beside the liquor shop, which has a fair slope to it and I just about threw the cases of empty bottles into the trailer and it did no move around at all, stayed put.

I'm going to make a simple plywood bottom for the trailer and then use if for a week or so, to see how I like it and if I need to change anything, before I put paint on it.

So far so good!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I just wanted to add this........
    Trailers.........?-concept_to_reality1.jpg
    ......from concept to reality, kind of neat eh?

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I did my first delivery on the bike with the trailer.....

Trailers.........?-1st_delivery_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-1st_delivery_2.jpg

That is one case of 500ml beer, 2 cases of 350ml beer, two cases of 2 litre water and one case of can coffee. I weighed everything and the total is just over 60 Kg, or 130lbs, and I went down a bit of a hill, and such, no problems, thankfully the return trip was up hill, with an empty trailer I'm still in really lousy shape, so I don't know if I could have hauled my fat arse and all that beer and stuff up the hill.

I'll be working on that every day!

I figure I'll run the trailer as is for about a week or so, just to see how it is, then if I need to modify it, I can, without wreaking a paint job, when I've used it for a bit and I'm happy with it, I'll paint it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Stu In Tokyo; 04-19-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Awesome job. How is stability when you are loading and unloading? If you don't mind Stu a close up of the hitch would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Awesome job. How is stability when you are loading and unloading? If you don't mind Stu a close up of the hitch would be appreciated.
    It is fairly stable, I still might add brakes to the trailer, but they might just be a chock wedged between the frame and the wheel, K.I.S.S. is a good thing

A close up of the hitch, OK, but this video.....

.... is basically what I copied

VERY straight forward

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    +1 On great job. Now I have a couple of 'free' wheels, I might follow your lead.

I see in later pics that the tongue arches don't mount flat on the trailer front, so they have just the arch and no twist. Much easier.

I don't know what the ordinances are, but maybe you want the shops name and We Deliver! in Japanese script, of course on the trailer sides, or like the old bakery delivery bikes, on a panel that clips into the frame between top, down and seat tubes. The lower ones on the trailer would be less of a wind issue. I would guess there aren't a lot of round eyes doing bike delivery so you may as well get some commercial mileage out of the novelty.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brian, and I'm sorry I did not answer you question about twisting the tubes earlier, I meant to, but forgot

I've lived here for 20+ years, and I've been working full time at the liquor shop for about 15 of those years, no real need to push our name or the fact that we deliver, but, it might make the trailer less of an item someone would want to steal, if it had the shop's name plastered all over it

Yes, theft happens here, and bicycle theft is really bad. That reminds me, I need to get a new registration sticker for this bike, as I peeled it off when I refinished it.

Tomorrow I head to the bike shop for a new lock, a light and some other sundry stuff.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice! I second the core plastic liner. If fact you should have used it for your side panels, much lighter than the mesh. 1/4" for the sides, 1/2" for the bottom. Any sign shop will have it!
    If you lived in the States, I would say send your trailer to Spectum to get a worthy PC job.
    What was wrong with your scooter????? I dug that!

So what is the best Japanese beer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii
    Nice! I second the core plastic liner. If fact you should have used it for your side panels, much lighter than the mesh. 1/4" for the sides, 1/2" for the bottom. Any sign shop will have it!
    If you lived in the States, I would say send your trailer to Spectum to get a worthy PC job.
    What was wrong with your scooter????? I dug that!

So what is the best Japanese beer?
    Thanks!

I would not mind subbing out the paint job, it is a pain in the butt.

Nothing is wrong with my scooter, but I'm trying to get my fat old arse back into shape, sitting on a 2-smoke scooter when I do my daily deliveries around town is not helping that, but riding around on my bike with a trailer should. Also I'll use the bike to run around town for other things, like going to the bank etc.

Japanese beer, well most of the major brands are just that major brands, they are OK, certainly drinkable, but nothing special. For me the one that stands out is Asahi Stout, but it is only made once a year and very limited quantities, and I have to fight with my wholesaler to get a case or two. I it actually handmade, not all computerized, the older brewmasters at Asahi make the younger guys make this beer, this way they have to learn how to actually make beer, not just program stuff into a computer, but like I said, it is very hard to get, even for me, running a liquor shop in Tokyo.

There are some decent micro brews here as well.

For anything you might see stateside, I'd suggest Sapporro Yebisu, if you can find it, usually a gold can, this is a bit heavier beer than their regular stuff and from all of the national brands, I like it best.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Today, I cut some blocks for really simple brakes.....
    Trailers.........?-wheel_chocks_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-wheel_chocks_2.jpg
    ....can't get much simpler than that

They worked really well too, so I might just weld on some holders for them on the front of the trailer, if I have the space.

After that picture was taken, I stopped by the local bicycle shop, and he had a better wheel for me, as one wheel I have is wonky, has a bent axle and broken spokes. This wheel is nice and straight, but is quite rusty, I'll use it until I get a better one from him, as the price was right..... FREE

I also put a bit of old floor mat from the Dungeon into the trailer, to cushion the ride a bit, as things to rattle around a bit, this certainly helped.

I also had a funny mystery solved, I was getting this fairly high pitched rattle, almost a pinging sound, I was worried that one of the wheels had more busted spokes, but even when I changed to the better wheel I still had this sound, it was very odd, and sort of worrying. I then took the large "U-shackle" lock that I was using out of the bed of the trailer.... strange sound GONE I guess the very hard steel of the U-shackle lock was banging against the cross bar of the lock, rattling around, making a lot of noise. Now the noisiest thing on the rig, besides me sucking wind, is the hitch itself, there is a slight bit of play in it, so I may end up drilling the hole with a bit tighter clearance, to see if I can take up some of that slop.

Still having fun with this, and you should see the funny looks I get......... above the usual funny looks that is

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Today, I cut some blocks for really simple brakes.....can't get much simpler than that ....I might just weld on some holders for them on the front of the trailer, if I have the space.
    Suggestion FWIW: since the front corners of the trailer might be a pedestrian hazard to the nearly terminally clumsy, Maybe the blocks could have a rubber side for ankle contact when mounted on the font corners (not parked)? Stationary, its their own fault.

Still having fun with this, and you should see the funny looks I get......... above the usual funny looks that is
    Cheers!
    Yeah. I carted home a bike full of groceries in panniers and containers up a grade into the wind spinning away at maybe 10 mph. Kept thinking, this is a great workout, why am I enjoying this so much? Fat heavy tires, as aero as a barn door, it shouldn't be this much fun. I understand the Big Dummy croud, now.

mtbr member
    Suggestion FWIW: since the front corners of the trailer might be a pedestrian hazard to the nearly terminally clumsy, Maybe the blocks could have a rubber side for ankle contact when mounted on the font corners (not parked)? Stationary, its their own fault.
    I am concerned that I'll catch someone with one of them corners, so I'll most likely chop them off at a 45 to make them much safer.

Yeah. I carted home a bike full of groceries in panniers and containers up a grade into the wind spinning away at maybe 10 mph. Kept thinking, this is a great workout, why am I enjoying this so much? Fat heavy tires, as aero as a barn door, it shouldn't be this much fun. I understand the Big Dummy croud, now.
    Yesterday I went around to various bike shops, 5 in total looking for a new helmet, my old one has all the pads rotted away, and has seen its fair share of use and abuse, time for a new one. A buddy here has a cool helmet, it is an OGK Cliff.....

Name:  ogk_cliff_white.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  26.2 KB

.... it is a freestyle and skater helmet, but it will be a lot more durable for daily use. I had trouble finding one, none of the bike shops sell it, so I spent a fair bit of time on the bike, around town, in traffic, and in areas of high foot traffic, maybe a couple of hours, which may not be much time for you guys on a bike, but for me, as a born again it is a good first step. After I told my buddy I could not find that helmet, but I did not really care, as I got some good riding in he said..... "The trip is never wasted, if it is on a bike" so yeah, I know what you mean about having fun.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I got the fenders on the bike, and I am using the trailer daily for deliveries

Trailers.........?-fender_on_daily_load.jpg

Here it is in working trim, I'm getting close to painting it.

I decided that I wanted a bit more cushioning as things were banging around a bit too much, so I ordered some fatter tires but for now, I lowered the pressure in the tires I have (they were pumped up too much) and I now strap stuff down, and the results were great, much smoother.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Looking good Stu!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow. I've just caught this story. Great job! I wish I had the ability to fabricate things like you have. I can cope with timber, but fabricating in steel is just a whole other ball game.

mtbr member
    Thanks Simon and Adam!

I think I have the brake idea solved, as my buddy at the local bike shop is tossing out the old shopping bikes that I'm getting front wheels from, I could also get two sets of front brakes, and attaching them to the trailer so they work as brakes...... brilliant eh

I'll get some cables and work up some kind of a locking lever

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I did some tweaking on the trailer today, I totally rebuilt the hitch, it is s the same design, just much tighter tolerances, the old one was quite loose and rattled around a lot. The new one is as tight a tolerance as I could get, the hitch slips together and the lock that holds things in place has a nice tight fit too I took it for a test ride and the difference was amazing, I've cut maybe 90% of the noise from the trailer

I also modified the front corners of the trailer.....

Trailers.........?-cut_corner1.jpg

Trailers.........?-cut_corner2.jpg

I hope that if I ever come to close to something, this would just bounce off, I feared that the square corner I had before would catch and dig in, causing me to come to a very quick stop and bounce on the pavement.

Well that is it, I'm still enjoying this, got to figure out the brakes yet, but that is a work in process

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Yeah. Your shins will love you for that mod.

A related question since the 'tow vehicle' has been a secondary part of the main topic. Did you sand and paint your frame yourself, or send it out? If you did it yourself, any tips things you'd do differently?

mtbr member
    Yeah. Your shins will love you for that mod.

A related question since the 'tow vehicle' has been a secondary part of the main topic. Did you sand and paint your frame yourself, or send it out? If you did it yourself, any tips things you'd do differently?
    I did it all myself, sending it out was just not in the budget.

If you are painting aluminum, like I was, make sure you get the right primer for it, and put several coasts on. Sand lightly between coats of paint to get a smooth finish, all the usual stuff, but the biggest point I can say to you is to wait a good week, ten days is even better since you last coat of paint, and your clear-coat. I only waited about 24hrs, and I ended up having to sand off nearly all the clear coat and start again. For some reason, my paint did not harden as quickly as I thought it would. 10 days later, when I did it again, it worked very well indeed, the paint is not bad at all for a backyard (or rooftop in my case) rattle can DIYer job. Also, think about how you are going to hang the frame when you paint it, I hung mine from three different points, this way I got three very different directions to apply the paint and clear-coat, makes for a more even coverage. I put six coats of paint on and at least that many of clear coat, yes, it took some time drying in between, but I had time, as I was waiting on parts.

I hope that helps

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    I did it all myself, sending it out was just not in the budget.
    Yeah, $300 paint jobs are not in mine, either. But the touch ups almost exceed original paint and I am through the primer again at the DT shifters.

If you are painting aluminum, like I was, make sure you get the right primer for it, and put several coats on..
    Steel. Do you hand sanded to metal all over? Or did you leave some primer in the tough spots. If so did that shortcut work OK?

Sand lightly between coats of paint to get a smooth finish, all the usual stuff, but the biggest point I can say to you is to wait a good week, ten days is even better since you last coat of paint, and your clear-coat. ... the paint is not bad at all for a backyard (or rooftop in my case) rattle can DIYer job.
    Yeah the touchups are bad enough that a decent ratttlecan job will be an improvement. Lokks great from 3' but closer?

Also, think about how you are going to hang the frame when you paint it,...I put six coats of paint on and at least that many of clear coat, yes, it took some time drying in between, but I had time, as I was waiting on parts. I hope that helps
    So THAT's the reason for the air quality alerts in Tokyo a month or two back!

Like refinishing or finishing furniture, it's 90% preparation, 10% application, and 100% trepidation!

Guess I need to order new transfers.

mtbr member
    Taking paint off of metal, aluminum or steel, heat is your friend, if you don't have a decent heat gun, buy one, they are very useful.

Heat up the paint and strip it off with a thin flexible scraper, then where you have the lugs and any places that are hard to get at, hand sanding and a drill with a wire brush work wonders, it just takes time, but you can certainly do it, heck I did

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Is this the place to ask about trailers? If it is not, a mod can move this to the right place

A little background. I live and work in Tokyo Japan, right downtown, in Shinjuku, well, just a couple of good baseball throws from "right downtown" I guess

My lovely wife and I run her family's business, that is a liquor shop, among my many duties is doing the deliveries to restaurants and homes of customers. Right now I mainly use a three wheeled 50cc scooter, a Honda Gyro.

It is a workhorse and I've put a ton of miles on it, I've rebuilt the clutch once and I've rebuilt the motor twice.

The thing is about 80% of my deliveries are doable by a bicycle and trailer, and it would be a great way to get back into biking and get in shape.

I'm rebuilding my old Cannondale right now, you can see that thread >> HERE << so I'll use that as my pull bike.

I will build the trailer myself, I have a MIG welder and know how to use it, heck I built my own 14" bandsaw for my woodworking stuff

I guess before I go any further, I'll ask again; is this where I should be asking about building a trailer for my bike?

Cheers!
    Dude. Are you the guy that cut up those trees with the chainsaw mill? Can't remember all the details but you were loading the slabs in a toyota mini-van. You have a big resaw bandsaw in your basement and rehabbed a big jointer after lowering it through some crazy steps?
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    Dude. Are you the guy that cut up those trees with the chainsaw mill? Can't remember all the details but you were loading the slabs in a toyota mini-van. You have a big resaw bandsaw in your basement and rehabbed a big jointer after lowering it through some crazy steps?
    Yep, guilty as charged!

You can see some of my adventures at my website (which really needs a few updates)

www.ablett.jp/workshop

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Stu, Things have progressed and are looking good, well done.

Al

mtbr member
    Thanks Al!

Now if the weather would just cooperate, bloody rain again!

How is the trip going, have you started a thread on it hear?

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    An update on the trailer, I've been using it daily for a week or so now, and while I'm going to make some changes, but basically, I'm really pleased with the trailer

Today I took my heaviest load yet, it was not far, just down the street, must have been about 200 pounds worth, and boy could I feel it behind me as I rode very carefully.

Trailers.........?-heaviest_load_yet_1.jpg Trailers.........?-heaviest_load_yet_2.jpg

Yep, I made sure I had lots of room to stop if I needed to, but it went smoothly, thank goodness there are no big hills around here!

Trailers.........?-heaviest_load_yet_at_customer.jpg
    Here I am at the customer's shop, a sushi shop. Notice I have the brakes applied (the wooden blocks) I really needed them, as the sidewalk slope quite a bit here.

The major change I'm going to make to the trailer is to change to rear wheels. Now I'm using front wheels from the Japanese "Mama Chari" bicycles, they are nice and simple, free and light weight. I'm changing to the rear wheels, because they have a built in hub brake, that is activated by a simple cable.

Trailers.........?-brakes1.jpg
    Trailers.........?-brakes2.jpg
    Trailers.........?-brakes3.jpg
    there are two kinds available, one is an external band that is tightened around a brake drum, the other is much like the old brakes in cars before disc brakes, having two shoes.

I don't think it really matter which I get, as long as I get all the bits for the brakes to attach to the trailer, as these will be parking brakes only.

Name:  brakes4.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  29.5 KB
    There is a kind of arm that attaches to the bikes chain stay, then it is just a simple cable.

I should have done this from the start

The rear hub assembly is wider, but not that much, so I'll not have to hack the frame of the trailer, just the mounting tabs.

I'll wait until my bike shop buddy gets me two good wheels, then I'll break out the angle grinder and the welder.

I need to get this thing painted, it is starting to rust!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Over the weekend I stared to modify the trailer to accept the rear wheels, which have brake drums on them. The problem is that the rear wheel hubs are a good 2cm wider than the front wheel hubs.......

Trailers.........?-brake_hub_wheel_no_fit.jpg
    I removed the sprocket assembly, it was in the way, but you can clearly see that this hub just ain't going to fit

Trailers.........?-brake_hub_wheel_right1.jpg Trailers.........?-brake_hub_wheel_right2.jpg
    Trailers.........?-brake_hub_wheel_right3.jpg Trailers.........?-brake_hub_wheel_right4.jpg
    After cutting the rails, and then adding piece, and welding everything up, this is how it looks, with some pics of the brakes too.

Trailers.........?-left_brake_del_lock.jpg
    Trailers.........?-delivery_lock_open.jpg
    Trailers.........?-delivery_lock.jpg
    Something else that I added is a lock for when I'm doing a delivery, often I have to go into an apartment building, so I'm a little worried that someone would nick my bike and trailer, so I lock them, but it is a pain, and takes time etc, plus the lock that I use is really only a "Nuisance" lock,that is a "Nuisance" to use and only a "Nuisance" to a real bike thief

This is a typical lock on a typical Japanese shopping bike or a "Mama Chari", the large hardened steel section slides around and locks the wheel from turning. When I lock things up at home, I use a much better lock, and lock it too something.

Trailers.........?-brakes_off.jpg
    Trailers.........?-brakes_applied.jpg
    I ran some cables and used this lever clamp thing for my parking brake lever, works well, the wheels are locked in place!

Now I have to pull the wheels again, and put the tires on, and I have to refine my work a bit, make some cable end stops etc as well.

I hope this works as planned, the one thing that is wrong with the trailer set up is the no parking brakes, often with a heavy load, it is difficult to park, as the trailer just wants to run away, pulling the bike over with it.

Now I get it back on the road, and try it out, then paint!

Go CANADA!

I Have Cookies
    P-brake looks great! I'd bring the cables up a bit so their more parralel with the path of travel (pull of the bar) look @ how they do it on a car- so to speak..... Otherwise I've really been enjoying this whole thread! Great work!!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    P-brake looks great! I'd bring the cables up a bit so their more parralel with the path of travel (pull of the bar) look @ how they do it on a car- so to speak..... Otherwise I've really been enjoying this whole thread! Great work!!!

Thanks Kimo!

I took your advice.......

Trailers.........?-parking_brake_lever_1.jpg

Trailers.........?-parking_brake_lever_2.jpg

........certainly not elegant, but boy are those wheels locked solid

Now I have to do some more test runs, then comes the painting thing..... that should be fun

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can buy some cable guides? The kind that are pop riveted on would be perfect!

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    OK, I guess they are called "Housing Guides!

Like this....

Name:  housing_guide.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  5.9 KB

Dunno if anyone makes such a thing anymore...?

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Since you are going to be riveting them to the trailer frame I'd suggest a low cost P-clamp from your hardware store rather than a bike specific part.

Doesn't even need to be rubber coated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107
    Since you are going to be riveting them to the trailer frame I'd suggest a low cost P-clamp from your hardware store rather than a bike specific part.

Doesn't even need to be rubber coated.
    Brilliant, no why didn't I think of that

Thanks!

Go CANADA!

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    The parking brake looks great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericpulvermacher
    The parking brake looks great.
    Thanks, I've been unable to test run it, as it has been pissing rain for two days straight

I've had it hooked up in the covered parking area, but not with a load on a delivery. People are strange, the don't want their cardboard boxes of beer delivered soaking wet

Tomorrow, it should be decent weather

Go CANADA!

mtbr member
    It stopped raining for a while today, I was able to do my deliveries via the bike and trailer!

I took a short two and a half minute video of the bike and trailer, showing off my new parking brake and lock I use when parked on deliveries.

As you can see in the video, the bike, with the parking brake applied to the trailer is very stable. Even with a heavy load, the trailer is not going anywhere and will not be pulling the bike over either.

I'm really pleased with how this has worked.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd raise the bed of the trailer by an inch, I have a couple of places where the bed of the trailer bottoms out, but it is only a light touch, nothing major, thus another inch of clearance would solve that problem, but it is really no big deal.

Cheers!

Go CANADA!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2