mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Which Touring Bike?

Looking to get into touring and need some assistance on opinions for what I can get in my price range. I am looking to spend under $1000 on the build. This doesn't need to include panniers and other accessories. I would appreciate it if it included the racks and fenders but not necessary. Any help is appreciated. Some things to think about; I would like some disc brakes, drop bars and STI shifters (no thumbies). Also prefer a steel frame. If anyone has one they may be interested in selling I'm thinking a 56-57 will be the ticket.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Since you are on the cargo bike forum(also since there is no touring forum), I would suggest an Xtracycle kit. I would assume you already have a bike, so just use it for your touring duties. And for the price, you could add some nicer parts to your current ride, and still be under your budget. And the kit comes with freeloaders(bags) so you are good to go. It is really not a bad setup.

Lurker
    May 2008
    You might check out the Touring, Commuting & Ride reports at roadbikereview.com. You'll get more recommendations than you can handle.

Check out Salsa, Surly, Soma & Gunnar for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    You bastard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMilkExpired View Post
    You bastard

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check out the touring forum on bikeforums.net, they've got a sticky about starting out. In a touring specific bike they don't often come with sti shifters and disk brake. Touring bikes are one place bar end shifters are still popular (thumbies are what mount bar ends to flat bars). I think there's a Raleigh, a novara, the jamis aurora elite and the salsa vaya that meet your reqs but they may be out of your price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks everyone. I will move over to those forums. Right now the plan is to purchase a used Vaya unless someone has a better idea...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I converted a 90s era MTB to an Xtracycle and added drop bars and disc brakes. Fourth of July weekend I rode from my house in the plains into the mountain, 50+ miles and carried about 80 lbs of stuff.

Truth be told, that was my first overnight touring trip, but the Xtracycle worked amazingly. No need for panniers. I did add a handlebar bag for my phone, wallet, food, etc. But otherwise everything went in the FreeLoaders with the sleeping bag strapped to the top of the deck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Used Vaya or a used Long Haul Trucker, if you could live without the disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Oh, with disc conversion and some other upgrades, not counting the donor bike I think I spent right around $700.