Longleaf Bicycles
    Aug 2010

Tell me you have a great trick for easily changing a rear flat on the road

I don't plan on having flats (knocks on wood.)

But I want to be able to bring a spare set of wheels and swap them midway on a particular route. I've never (I know, I'm seriously courting bad luck here) had to change a cargo bike's rear wheel "in the wild" and I'm thinking about how I'd go about it without the benefit of a repair stand.

I don't doubt I'd be able to do it, but if I'm planning on a wheel swap mid-route I'd want to be able to do it quickly and fairly easily. I'm almost thinking that flipping the thing upside down would be best, but wanted to check the hive-mind for better solutions.
    Longleaf Bicycles: Handbuilt wheels. Dynohub lighting systems. Custom assembled bicycles.

Down South Yooper
    On my dummy, I just flop it up onto the wide loader and pull the wheel out. I put the chain down tot the smallest cog so it don't have to line it up int the middle somewhere. Then it's business as usual.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    I don't actually own a cargo bike (but I want one so bad!), so this may be a silly question, but...how would it be any different from changing a flat on any other bike? I mean, flip it over, and change it, right?
    "In nuclear war, all men are cremated equal" - Dexter Gordon

biking where I'm going
    Jun 2012
    If your route takes you within acceptable range of trees, make sure you have a length of rope handy. Keep a box-end wrench or some other useful weight with you, tie the rope to that weight, toss it over a tree limb (or other horizontal support), and winch your bike up enough to do the job.
    Getting where I'm going--by bicycle!

1996 Ryan Vanguard
    2010 Globe Vienna 3 Disc
    2012 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I've had to do it in the wilds of the bad side of town. I have a child seat bolted to the back, so I can't flip it upside down. I just laid it on its side. No problem. Well, it was still kind of a pain, but totally doable.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车