Thread: Tandem Ute?

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc

Tandem Ute?

Got a vintage Gitane Tandem and was thinking about converting to a pickup utility bike by changing the Stroker position into a flat bed. Any other tandem conversions out there? Was thinking about making a 3 point mount that mounts on the seat post and handle bar position. Would be cool to be able to take a truck type bed on and off to re-fit it for another rider from time to time. I like the bike and feel I'd use it more as a 'hauler' for the beach and wonder if anyone else has done a tandem pickup conversion....

& Couldn't resist --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvQQqi5E1I&feature=player_embedded#!

Devo
    that tandem pick-up conversion:
    I could swear I had seen that a long time ago
    I've been trying to find an internet reference for a long time

in my gut I kept wanting to think it was made by Paul Components out of Chico,Ca.
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Couldn't find any tandem conversions, but the center of gravity will be high, might have to drop down some rails and running boards for stability.... could mount it to the frame. Now what to do with the extra actuating cranks? Maybe set up a wood chopper like on a folksy windmill (just kidding).

Copy from the one above (not my bike)...but a cool setup

1980 67cm Schwinn Traveler, "The Mighty Schwinn" 50-34-24 x 14-38 (yes 38) gearing. Disk rear brake and both 26" and 700c 48h 140mm tandem rear wheels that I swap out depending on load and required gearing. Paul Components replaced with Surly front rack. Rear deck/fender made from .04" thick diamond plate Aluminum.

Another w/ suave lighting....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    use a cheapo steel seatpost, the one with the removeable head through-bolt that holds two little pieces of steel (per side) to clamp on the seatrails.
    with those goofy pieces of metal removed it should give you maybe 6 or 8mm per side of surface. run the seatpost's through-bolt through a couple steel L-brackets from your local hardware store. attach flat surface of your choice, plywood, formica, marble, the earth if you're a creationist...
    that's the base of the bed, you can adjust the tension of the bolt depending on whether you want the assembly to tilt or not.
    a u-clamp around the pilot's post would be the front mount.
    or maybe a clamp under the front that has a chunk of handlebar so you could use the stoker stem to clamp the front down!!

(normally I'd suggest wide stand-offs on rack mount eyelets for stability, but you seem to be on a full suspension so...)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!