mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Suspension Fork on a Big Dummy

I'm in the process of building up a Big Dummy as a backcountry tourer. I'll use it as my in town grocery hauler but I also want it to be capable of comfortably handling miles of washboard dirt roads and moderate single track. A plan is in the works for a 2014 Great Divide MTB Route ride and the Grande Tonto will be my steed.

So, I'm looking at installing a suspension fork. I've read the info on the Surly page - 80 to 100mm of travel recommended and because of the BD geometry more of the weight will be on the front wheel so pre-load adjustment is a necessity.

I've also read the reports of the Riding the Spine group and they recommend a coil spring fork and no air.

I have a few questions before I do this:

Has anyone put a suspension fork on their BD? Any words of wisdom?

I'm not a big gear head and don't follow the year-to-year releases of components, so what is a good coil fork in the 80 to 100mm travel category? I'm on a budget, so I'm not opposed to older models. I was thinking about a RockShox Recon. I'm not looking for great feel or anything like that, I just want something to soak up a days worth of riding and something that's dependable. It should also have a lockout for around town riding.

Thanks,

BC

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hopefully someone with actual experience of Big Dummy and forks will be along, in the mean time I'd say an advantage of an air fork is that you can adjust the effective spring rate by increasing the pressure, without having to strip the fork down. An advantage of a coil fork is that it may be more reliable out in the wild.

As Surly say you need to make sure the spring is of the correct rate. I don't think it's as simple as adjusting preload. With coil forks you get different springs for different rider weights.

A 180lb / 82kg rider on a BD would need a fork spring rated for a 295lb / 134kg rider on a standard bike. Basically take your weight and add 64% to find the spring rate you need when fitting the fork to a BD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Tower expert with the 200+ spring, 120 mm travel. Done. Keep it clean and lubed, rideit like you stole it.

mtbr member
    Hey,

Take a look at Devo's thread. He mounted a suspension fork on his Dummy & I remember he explained how he chose his fork...
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs1231 View Post
    Tower expert with the 200+ spring, 120 mm travel. Done. Keep it clean and lubed, rideit like you stole it.
    Does it come in 26". Not running 29ers on the BD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The tower is 29er, but the Minute is basically a 26" version of the Tower, from what I have read.