Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Surly Front Nice Rack on BD ?

Anyone running bb7s with 180 mm rotors and a Surly Front Nice Rack ?
    I looking at putting one on my Big Dummy and was looking for info on the
    fit? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't have 180mm brakes but I did try and found I couldn't mount the rack without either cutting or bending the triangular shiny flat things or figuring out some spacers. Either way it was work I didn't want to attempt so I didn't.

lord of my world
    I had it set up with 180 rotors, but switched to 160s just to make it easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/surlybi...-15145336@N03/ Here's a link to some photos on Flixr. Can't tell what size rotor that is and it's not bb7s.
    It does show grinding a spot out of the triangle bracket to make it fit.
    Thank's for the feedback guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I couldn't do it without going to a 160 front. I'll keep my 203 and get a different rack. I didn't want to dick with changing the mounting brackets. Maybe I'll make another attempt.

mtbr member

I've used an OMM Cold Springs front rack on my BD since I built it up. Works great with any disc brake and has been used hard with no issues. The design is light and strong. I have a 10yr old copy of this rack on my LHT and it's got another 20yrs left it in easy.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1303876547
    I did manage to get a Surly Nice Rack installed on the BD. It is a close fit but should work.
    This is with the bb7 and 185mm rotors.
    Vikb, Thanks for the info. What size tires are you running in the photos ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Front Nice Rack on BD ?-img_0128_resize.jpg  

Surly Front Nice Rack on BD ?-img_0125_resize.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did you bend that bottom plate yourself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Kuan, Nope there are some offset brackets like the bottom ones and some straight ones in the hardware pack. Great hardware pack. Just got to configure a fork center hole attachment
    at the top. Probably not needed on most but as close as the fit is I don't want it moving any.

mtbr member
    Nice! Pic of the complete bike with the front rack? Pics with bags attached to rack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Matt, No bags yet. Working on that. By the way nice blog page. Great photos...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongtailJunkie
    Matt, No bags yet. Working on that. By the way nice blog page. Great photos...
    Thanks. Be sure to post some photos if you mount some bags. I'm curious about a front Nice Rack on my Big Dummy to easily run both panniers and a "trunk bag" (in lieu of a handlebar bag -- I think it might be better to keep any frontward weight below the handlebar).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongtailJunkie
    Vikb, Thanks for the info. What size tires are you running in the photos ?
    I run 26 x 2.0" Marathon XRs on my BD.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    Thanks. Be sure to post some photos if you mount some bags. I'm curious about a front Nice Rack on my Big Dummy to easily run both panniers and a "trunk bag" (in lieu of a handlebar bag -- I think it might be better to keep any frontward weight below the handlebar).
    Here ya go Matt, Some photos with bags on the Surly Nice rack... The bags are a little forward on the rack...Here is the link for the bags to give some size specs.
    Hey thanks for info Vik.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...t+Rack+Pannier
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1304535857
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Front Nice Rack on BD ?-img_0177rs.jpg  

Surly Front Nice Rack on BD ?-img_0175rs.jpg  

Surly Front Nice Rack on BD ?-img_0172rs.jpg  

Last edited by LongtailJunkie; 05-04-2011 at 12:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics. Awesome setup. I'm jealous. How does it handle with the bags up front? How often do you have enough stuff on the back of your bike to warrant running the bags up front? Do you prefer to ride with some weight up front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Matt these are my first front panniers. Haven't ridden with any real weight in them yet. Just stuffed some old towel etc in them to see what they would be like. Mostly commute and carry cargo loads with my BD. I'm hoping to get away for several days with it soon. I wanted to have the option to carry stuff up front if I needed it. So these bags will be used for adding load capacity with cargo as well as some touring.
    I

mtbr member
    Any comments on how an unloaded front rack may or may not affect the handling of the Big Dummy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Any comments on how an unloaded front rack may or may not affect the handling of the Big Dummy?
    Matt , as far as overall handling I don't feel much change. Just some wind resists in higher winds. I have been real satisfied with this rack setup so far.

mtbr member
    I can't tell I have an OMM rack on the front of my BD until I use it for something. It's very light....
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It's nice to know that the Surly Nice Front Rack will fit the BD.Because I am building a BD here now.It's the new 2011 model all black and I will be running 203mm BB7 on the rear and 185mm BB7 on the front.I can tell you this much about the front nice rack I have it on my Surly LHT bicycle and with a no load you don't even know it is on there or I don't anyway.I wanted this rack to work with my setup and all the Info I found here let me know it will thanks for posting the pic of your setup.You just help me spend more money on my new ride lol.But I am very happy to get this BD all built and setup to go with what I wanted on it.Thanks LongtailJunkie for the pics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    No problem KDC. Glad someone could use the info. I've been real pleased with the Nice rack on my BD.
    Be sure and post pics of your finished BD...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would like to see someone run a V1 Fargo fork on their BD. It's 442mm long (vs. 425) so it won't affect geometry very much, and you could run 2 bottle cages, lowrider panniers, and a Minimalist rack all at once!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I would like to see someone run a V1 Fargo fork on their BD. It's 442mm long (vs. 425) so it won't affect geometry very much, and you could run 2 bottle cages, lowrider panniers, and a Minimalist rack all at once!
    Having owned a V1 Fargo fork, I'd say getting all of that on there would be a lot of work. Low riders and the minimalist rack MIGHT work (depending on the low rider rack and how it mounted. The trick would be getting the bottle cages on there at the same time. By the time you bought the low rider rack and the minimalist rack, you'd be close in price to the Nice rack, and you'd have a lower weight you could carry on the platform.

My $0.02 worth...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    Having owned a V1 Fargo fork, I'd say getting all of that on there would be a lot of work. Low riders and the minimalist rack MIGHT work (depending on the low rider rack and how it mounted. The trick would be getting the bottle cages on there at the same time. By the time you bought the low rider rack and the minimalist rack, you'd be close in price to the Nice rack, and you'd have a lower weight you could carry on the platform.

My $0.02 worth...
    I was meaning the Salsa Down Under racks plus Minimalist, which are meant to work together. Also I have been told they work with the bottle racks no prob but haven't tried myself.

The Salsa solution wouldn't hold as much weight, true - and it's aluminum too which means you probably wouldn't want to push your luck as much either. But the load rating on the Minimalist could be exceeded considerably I'm sure if you had it mounted to the Down Under rack, since the supports would be a lot shorter and nearly inline with the compressive forces they'd be under.

Personally I'm between the two setups myself, though on my current ride (a Vaya) the Surly rack doesn't really work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post

My $0.02 worth...
    I was meaning the Salsa Down Under racks plus Minimalist, which are meant to work together. Also I have been told they work with the bottle racks no prob but haven't tried myself.

The Salsa solution wouldn't hold as much weight, true - and it's aluminum too which means you probably wouldn't want to push your luck as much either. But the load rating on the Minimalist could be exceeded considerably I'm sure if you had it mounted to the Down Under rack, since the supports would be a lot shorter and nearly inline with the compressive forces they'd be under.

Personally I'm between the two setups myself, though on my current ride (a Vaya) the Surly rack doesn't really work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast