mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Surly crosscheck to cargo bike?

I have just been on the Xtracycle web site, those are cool kits! Has anyone used one of their extender kits with a Surly crosscheck frame?? I happen to have a crosscheck that is set up as a commuter I was toying with the idea of selling it to build a big dummy but if one of these kits will work I may go that way.

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    I have just been on the Xtracycle web site, those are cool kits! Has anyone used one of their extender kits with a Surly crosscheck frame?? I happen to have a crosscheck that is set up as a commuter I was toying with the idea of selling it to build a big dummy but if one of these kits will work I may go that way.
    I haven't used the add on xtracycle, but if you're planning on heavy loads, I've heard they can waggle quite a bit. I know when I have my dummy loaded heavy, it can flex pretty wickedly. Usually it's over the 100lb in cargo weight that I notice it.

The xtracycle subframe will do 700c wheels, in a limited tire size and with a canti brake adapter, but frankly, I don't see the point. You'll want bigger volume tires for a loaded longtail, and you'll want more brake than a rim brake for heavy loads too, IMHO. Also, gearing on the cross bike will probably be too high for loaded hauling.

If you're consistently running into loads that are more than the cross check will handle now with racks and panniers, then you're ready for a dummy. Anything else is just a waypoint to getting the purpose built cargo bike. If you buy the xtracycle and then resell to get a dummy setup, you'll lose a little $$ on that transaction too.

In my opinion, sell the cross check and buy a dummy.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks Plum, I have decided that doing a Big dummy build is the way to go. I would have more money in the Xtra cycle/crosscheck conversion than if I just start from scratch. Thanks for the feedback. Although the Xtra cycle stuff is neat