Beastrider

Suggestions Please.....

I am looking at installing a Disc brake on the rear of The Beast. I am trying to find a relatively inexpensive setup. Currently I am looking at either the Avid BB5 or BB7. Anyone have any experience with these or, perhaps, there is something else out there that you have used that might be decent without getting too expensive. I am wanting to keep it mechanical as well.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    BB7 has a little more adjustment and larger pads but if your money really can't stretch, the BB5s work fine. Shimano make the M415 and M515 but they are not tool-less adjust.

Actually all the brands make cable disc brakes and they all work. Some have one adjustment some have two and some are tool-less.

I have used Tektro Novela lots. They have NO adjustment other than moving the mounting bracket left and right. They are extremely basic but still usable. Most brakes are set and forget unless you move the wheel axle nuts around or bend the rotor.

All brakes and all brands make noise nomatter how much you spend.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by maxforce View Post
    BB7 has a little more adjustment and larger pads but if your money really can't stretch, the BB5s work fine. Shimano make the M415 and M515 but they are not tool-less adjust.

Actually all the brands make cable disc brakes and they all work. Some have one adjustment some have two and some are tool-less.

I have used Tektro Novela lots. They have NO adjustment other than moving the mounting bracket left and right. They are extremely basic but still usable. Most brakes are set and forget unless you move the wheel axle nuts around or bend the rotor.

All brakes and all brands make noise nomatter how much you spend.
    I don't expect them to be fully quiet. I rode motorcycles for years and know about the noise issue. However, a temporary fix is to sprinkle a little talcum powder on them. works for a while but wears off rather quickly. Good fix if you happen to be riding in a parade or something along those line.

I had not considered Shimano. I'll be looking at those now....Thanks for the suggestion!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

mtbr member
    BB7 all the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Need I say more BB7 all the way baby

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for that talcum powder tip, I have never heard that one.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by maxforce View Post
    Thanks for that talcum powder tip, I have never heard that one.
    Welcome. Just don't expect it to work over a long period of time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 on the BB7. Much better adjustment options than the BB5.

One What?
    I run Tektro mechanicals. I like them but they are the first discs I've ever used and they are head and shoulders over the canti's I had on my BD initially. So take that FWIW. I did get them dialed in relatively easily and have not had to mess with them again since (over a year, now).

mtbr member
    I've used a bunch of different mechanical calipers, and I don't think you can go wrong with Avid's. If you are really short on cash the BB5's work great, but for just a bit more the BB7's are much easier to setup, and to make trailside adjustments if needed.