mtbr member

Single-wheel Trailer for a medium-sized dog?

We're planning on getting an Aussie Shepherd this year, that should grow to about 40~50lbs.

I want to get a trailer to haul it around town, to the dogparks, and to some trails. (I don't plan to haul it on the singletrack, but would let it run with me while I tow the empty trailer)

So a single-wheeler sounds ideal, but I'm wondering if it would be big enough? Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers has a picture of a pretty big pooch in a BOB, but it looks like a tight fit. All the other dogs I can find in BOBs look like they're under 20lbs.

I'm just looking for any experience people have fitting a medium sized-dog on a trailer? Or is a two-wheeler the way to go?
    Last edited by newfangled; 03-01-2012 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't have a dog and I don't have a trailer but I did read this thread a while back: "Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers". mike5krnr posted a picture with his dog on a single wheel trailer.

I'm afraid that I'm not yet allowed to post links, but it's on page 1 of the cargo bikes forum.

/Mikael

mtbr member
    Yeah that picture from mike5krnr was what got me thinking about it, but it was the only one of a big dog that I could find.

But I also just found this one on flickr:

Dog on trailer by Velo abzug, on Flickr

And that's probably pretty close to the size of dog we're thinking about. So with some training it might be doable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    My 45-50lb border collie mix fits into my BOB trailer just fine . He has lost weight since he is running behind me now and not riding in.

He is usually leashed in but with enough lead to jump out if he feels he needs to.

mtbr member
    ^ thanks Renovatio. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Oh, and I was planning on towing this with my singlespeed, but was a little worried about the trailer swaying too much if I'm standing and mashing. But it looks like you're running ss without any issues?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ thanks Renovatio. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Oh, and I was planning on towing this with my singlespeed, but was a little worried about the trailer swaying too much if I'm standing and mashing. But it looks like you're running ss without any issues?
    If I remember right it was geared at 44-14 and it was pretty tough to start out and it would be a workout to go up any hills (my local town is pretty flat at the base of the foothills). But once you got going it was fine. Even standing and mashing wasn't bad. If I was to hook up the trailer again I would go for about 2.5:1 to 2.8:1 SS ratio. 3.1:1 was too tough for me to get started.

But the frame was huge for me. Its an XL frame and I am only 5'8" so it was very weird to ride so I can't really give accurate feedback on how it well handle in corners

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'm actually planning to to use a dinglespeed, so I'll have two ratios to choose from. It's mostly flat around here too, but the occasional climb means the occasional mashing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Aussie Sheperds are VERY skittish dogs! They make lousy house pets...you need some goats for them to herd.
    My best friend has one, his wife actually, and that dog would rather spend a month in the closet than ride on the back of anything. Get a different breed!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wike Bike?

I just got ahold of a Wike Bike trailer wagalong.

It's nice and light. Sturdy too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    Aussie Sheperds are VERY skittish dogs! They make lousy house pets...you need some goats for them to herd.
    My uncle has had two as housepets over the years, and they're great. So we've spent a fair bit of time with the breed, but I do occasionally ask my wife if she's sure that we wouldn't rather get a dog that's naturally laidback instead. In either case, we wouldn't get something larger than an aussie, so if they'll fit in a BOB then anything that we'd get would.

Quote Originally Posted by GravyBones View Post
    I just got ahold of a Wike Bike trailer wagalong. It's nice and light. Sturdy too.
    I might still go that route, or just get a two-wheeled cargo trailer. The thing is that around here there's snow/ice/wintercrud on the ground for a solid 6 months of the year. This winter has been the nicest one ever, but there are still dozens of places where a two-wheeler would get hung up. I don't expect to tow the dog around when it's -30 and there's 6" of snow, but I figure that a single-wheeler might be workable 8-10 months of the year, where a two-wheeler would be more limited. But I could be wrong.
    Last edited by newfangled; 03-05-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii View Post
    My best friend has one, his wife actually, and that dog would rather spend a month in the closet than ride on the back of anything. Get a different breed!
    That's pretty bold of you to generalize your friend's dog to every Aussie out there. In point of fact Aussies are individuals and have a breadth of ranging personalities, preferences, and intellectual capacity, just like humans. Beware of generalizations.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    We have 2 Aussies and each have a very different personality. While training my male to stay in the trailer he jumped out, tiped the trailer and tore his front paw pad. My fault. Took 3-4 weeks for it to heal with vets meds and bandage. I'll try the training agin. I know the dog would rather be with me then be left behind but for now he wants to run.

He is good for about 8- 10 miles at easy pace but I want to take him along for longer rides. I'll work on getting him to "Sit" in the trailer. May take a while.

I converted a 2 wheel trailer-removed the fabric and put on a 24 inch by 27 inch plywood with carpet on top to make a solid floor.

Should work if your as good at training dogs as Assies are at learning. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi wel finally a thread I can relate to... i have a big old fat lab.. 110 lbs plus... he loves to ride on the bike... I have a dutch style long bike... this is my number 10 post so after this ill put up some pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    here's a not very good pic of Bardy on the bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    to the guy who says aussies are skittish... idk how many aussie shepherds i have seen surfing the tool box on the back of some ranchers truck... also cattle dogs love to ride... here's a pick of me and my dog pancho... i always though he had some cattle dog or herd dog in him.. i made him a platform on the front of a 1930's rear steer tandem... we logged a lot of miles on that bike and he loved everyone of them...never any problems with pancho.. miss that guy..

mtbr member
    Nice dogs and nice bikes, longbikeguy.

So I've got the aussie, and I've got the trailer, and we're trying to get her used to it. We've gone for a few short (like 50') rides with her in it, but have mostly been trying to get her comfortable with it. She'll happily jump in, but she'll also happily jump out, so we've really got to work on the whole "stay" thing.

No pics of the trailer yet, but here's the pooch: