Cars Are Evil

Seats for Big Dummy other than PeaPod - any issues?

We're getting a Big Dummy for transporting our almost-year-old daughter. We're interested in using a seat other than the PeaPod III because it doesn't seem to have as much protection for the child as other seats do. Has anybody run into issues with fitting seats other than the PeaPod to the Big Dummy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'd look at the iBert, then transition to the Peapod in a couple years.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Cars Are Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I'd look at the iBert, then transition to the Peapod in a couple years.
    Nice idea but there's no neck support.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er View Post
    Nice idea but there's no neck support.
    Neck support for what? An accident or the child's head flopping around while you're just riding?

If you're concerned with neck support during an accident, you should probably look at the auto|moto|kart racing style neck bands that protect against whiplash type injuries. They sell similar bands for car seat use, though I think those are marketed to keep their head upright when they're asleep, rather than as protection.

Having biked extensively with my two sons (now 7yo and 4yo) when they were young, both on the street and on the trail, mostly with a Wee-Ride, I don't think there was anything that truly protected them as much as I'd have liked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    maybe a trailer instead of a seat until she is older?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Has anybody put an ibert on the back of a big dummy? We recently purchased a BD and I would rather not spend another $200++ on a Yepp seat. We have an ibert i was using on other mountain bkies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Ibert on back of dummy

So I fabbed up a post type mechanism using parts from the hardwear store so we could use the Ibert on the back of our dummy.

I used it like this for about a week and decided to spend the money on a Yepp seat. Utilizing the Ibert like this works, I just think the Yepp will work better.

Seats for Big Dummy other than PeaPod - any issues?-image.jpg

Seats for Big Dummy other than PeaPod - any issues?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    I think the Yepp Mini is a little better system than the iBert. A Peapod (or Yepp Maxi) paired with a Hooptie seems pretty safe to me. The Hooptie will give you years of safety, even after she outgrows the Peapod.