mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Seatbelt for stoker seat?

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this, but we are in the process of setting up a stoker seat for my son. He's 5, and we really only will put him on it when we go on rides where I'm not comfortable with him riding on the road right in front of me (like around our calm neighborhood, to the park, etc). Like in this picture here, we went to a way nicer park that was about 2 miles away, but part of the ride was on a busy-for-a-5 year old-rider street.

Now, I have a Mini Magic Carpet arriving friday, and stirrups (was unsure if he was tall enough for Footsies after he was on the pad, he can barely touch where they'd be now.

I'm pondering getting a 1-1.5" nylon strap with a buckle, to use as a seatbelt for if I hit the brakes and he isn't paying attention (the one ride we did there were times where they were goofing off and he was turning around and swatting at her as she was kicking him).

That alone is easily done- but is there a need for like a strap to prevent him from sliding backwards out of it? I'm personally having a hard time thinking of an instance where this would be necessary. It would also complicate the seatbelt design. I'm just thinking about it because unlike on his normal bike, little or none of his weight is on his feet, instead it's on his butt, so I'm wondering if there would be instances where he'd slide out and back.

Again, I might just be overthinking this, lol.

Edit: Not considering Hooptie at this time. He likes hopping on and off on his own, plus just bought a new house so don't have tons to spend on bicycle stuff
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Won't the seat that your daughter(?) is in keep your son from sliding off the back? If you attach your nylon strap below his hips, then that would keep him from being able bounce up and over her seat if that is what you were concerned with.

Or is there a big gap between his seat and her seat that I can't see in the pic?

Basically I'm saying thet from the looks of it, the only way he could fall off is to the front or the sides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's kinda what I'm thinking, like mount it so it is slightly behind him and comes forward and up over his hips, I think it'll be OK that way. Thanks!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been riding with my 3 year old (now 5) in the front seat without any belt whatsoever, and her sister behind in the Yepp. I wouldn't worry about the backwards motion at all; I think you'll be fine. I've meant to get a seatbelt for the front seat, but haven't gotten around to it yet. She's stable enough, and pays enough attention, that it hasn't been an issue.

Regarding the feet... I highly recommend a pair of cheap crappy bar-ends mounted as foot pegs. (Sorry about the glare in the image)
    Name:  9320.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  70.5 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ohhh! Bar ends. That is great. I might sell the Xtracycle stirrups and do that. I haven't even gotten them in the mail yet but I'm not keen on stirrups. Thanks!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The bar end foot pegs are really great. Particularly since you can adjust them as needed to fit your rider. I would totally ditch the stirrups, unless you want to keep them for a back-seat rider (no yepp) in the future. There is, alas, no place to attach bar-ends for a back seat rider.

mtbr member
    I got some ape-hangar bars (like on chopper bikes) and use those in place of the stoker bar. It ends up going around the side of the kid in front, so he's very safely seated, yet he can still get on and off the bike on his own.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车