Thread: Running Boards

PRETENDURO

Running Boards

Pros: stiff, no bouncing of cargo over bumps like the Wideloaders. Capable of handling more weight (I have a small tear in the fabric on one of my Wideloaders).

Cons: Much narrower than the Wideloaders. Deck height much higher than the Wideloaders.

QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Love the horn on your BD.You need to make a video of it so we can hear it go off lol.I have though about putting one on my Surly LHT but with my new BD I have it could go on it.But then I would need a air tank as well and then it starts to get heavy or it could.But it would be cool to have it anyway.Did you get the running boards on sale they had them for 119.00 a pair.When I was going to order them they went up to much for me.But they look great I think.I can tell you use your BD a lot hope I get to do the same with mine.But I don't like cold weather any longer lol.Wuss here I guess.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by kdc1956 View Post
    Love the horn on your BD.You need to make a video of it so we can hear it go off lol.I have though about putting one on my Surly LHT but with my new BD I have it could go on it.But then I would need a air tank as well and then it starts to get heavy or it could.But it would be cool to have it anyway.Did you get the running boards on sale they had them for 119.00 a pair.When I was going to order them they went up to much for me.But they look great I think.I can tell you use your BD a lot hope I get to do the same with mine.But I don't like cold weather any longer lol.Wuss here I guess.
    A video won’t quite capture just how loud they are—they are marine/truck horns fed by a 12V compressor running @ 24V (the big black stack on the left side runningboard is four 6V battery packs, a lovely 30lbs. of additional weight). I’m thinking that an air tank will weigh substantially less, and will deliver much more air pressure than the overvolted compressor is capable of dishing out, eventually I will transition to such a setup.

I got the runningboards for $119 + tax + shipping. I hope I can find a buyer for my centerstand and my Wideloaders, as I don’t need them anymore.

I have only ridden my Big Dummy just a tad under 500 miles, but I try to do lots of shopping errands on it (Trader Joe’s/Whole Foods/produce store/Costco are less than 2 miles away) as well as take my two boys to/from school on it… and the occasional weekend hauls out to the county park (fireroad trails) and back. Longest trip was 56 miles on one of the San Jose Bike Party night rides, the longest errand-esque ride was 42 miles round trip—exchanged two gallon growlers of microbrew for 55+ pounds of organic persimmons.

I love my Big Dummy, it’s such a freakin’ kick in the pants!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Cons: ...... Deck height much higher than the Wideloaders.
    I don't know how the running boards insert/lock into the frame, but would it be possible to swap left and right and insert them upside down? Could you move the boards under the tubes with a different set of bolts to "hang" them?
    Would gain you the tube diameter in overall lower height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I don't know how the running boards insert/lock into the frame, but would it be possible to swap left and right and insert them upside down? Could you move the boards under the tubes with a different set of bolts to "hang" them?
    Would gain you the tube diameter in overall lower height.
    You'd lose the support of the frame underneath it, so I'm guessing the weight capacity will be a bit lower.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    You'd lose the support of the frame underneath it, so I'm guessing the weight capacity will be a bit lower.
    Yeah, I wouldn’t try it either. Each end of each running board is attached by two Allen-headed screws, not exactly mil-spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    How about some U-bolts through the loops on the side of the frame down under the board? (of course the surface is no longer smooth and level)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn’t try it either. Each end of each running board is attached by two Allen-headed screws, not exactly mil-spec.
    This amuses me. You will beat the frame with a hammer to fit a larger tire but some new bolts/washers from the hardware store and altering the holes ..... that's where you draw the line.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    How about some U-bolts through the loops on the side of the frame down under the board? (of course the surface is no longer smooth and level)

This amuses me. You will beat the frame with a hammer to fit a larger tire but some new bolts/washers from the hardware store and altering the holes ..... that's where you draw the line.
    Well, I mean, I’ve only ridden it once with the new Runningboards. Gimme a chance to decide when to void the warranty.

mtbr member

Wrap Around Deck, and Full Wrap Around Deck

Running boards are taken to a new level. The Yuba Mundo Thread

Last edited by Lone Desert Walker; 11-24-2011 at 06:44 PM.