Disabled Vet

QUestion...Radish or $600 bike+Freeradical Classic

Which would you chose? Go buy (or build back up an old friend you only have the frame and wheels for,a 2000 Trek 6000) a $600 mtn or "city" bike (26"),or buy a Radish Classic?

I'm thinking of selling the Jabberwocky to help fund this,thoughts? Thanks
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    If you have a donor bike I would build up a freeradical on that. If I was looking at a prebuilt I would look at the Yuba. I like the idea of a purpose built frame rather than a frame with a subframe. You can also get the Yuba frameset and move your parts from a donor bike over. I have a Big Dummy, and I love it. At this point the horizontal dropouts on the Yuba are a really nice advantage over any of the other options I've seen. I'm running an internal geared hub, and as such I also need a chain tensioner with the vertical drops on the dummy.

So, if you figure 500 for a Yuba frame, 170 for freeloaders, and another 50 or so for chain, cables and random hardware. Add that to your parts from the donor bike and you have a very solid cargo bike.

Disabled Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
    If you have a donor bike I would build up a freeradical on that. If I was looking at a prebuilt I would look at the Yuba. I like the idea of a purpose built frame rather than a frame with a subframe. You can also get the Yuba frameset and move your parts from a donor bike over. I have a Big Dummy, and I love it. At this point the horizontal dropouts on the Yuba are a really nice advantage over any of the other options I've seen. I'm running an internal geared hub, and as such I also need a chain tensioner with the vertical drops on the dummy.

So, if you figure 500 for a Yuba frame, 170 for freeloaders, and another 50 or so for chain, cables and random hardware. Add that to your parts from the donor bike and you have a very solid cargo bike.
    All I have of the "donor" bike is frame and wheels (as mentioned),so that wouldn't work...of course,Craigslist might turn up a donor cheap...
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

wants a taco
    I would use the donor if you really liked how it fit. If at some point I want to have a "normal" bike I know it is always easy to go back to a standard bicycle.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    Go with the freeradical. Solid platform. I was not impressed with the Radish when I finally saw one over the summer.

Disabled Vet
    Well,it isn't going to happen...at least not in the next few months (by next year for sure though). I was thinking I'd have around a grand or so to play with,and that didn't work out,and since I have NO donor bike (just a frame,seatpost and 11 year old wheelset) other than the ones in the sig,not gunna happen.

I could still swing it with the tax refund (or if I decided to sell the Mustang and go for a cheap old minitruck-which I'm fine with loving to tinker with ol minis),but what the wife said when we were mulling the still building of it makes sense...I never know when my injuries will or won't allow me to ride with any consistancy,and I'm still apt to grab the keys to the car and go (because it's a fun to drive car,not because it's easier). So we've come to the agreement to buy an inexpensive trailer this year,log it's mileage until tax season '13 and have that discussion then.

Not to say I won't buy the Freeradical sometime this year,just won't be planning it on a specific date.

I appreciate y'alls replies and help\info on the matter though,very grateful
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    This was deleted,because sadly,it (wht I had updated about the purchase of a different cargo bike) didn't happen
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 05-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet

Good job!

Cool news! While I was all excited about something that didn't happen a week or so ago (see last post here,the edited one),I did find and procure a used (but never actually "used",it's still in the box) Xtracycle kit with Flightdeck,and ordered a new Hoodie,which came in Monday. It's all in the shop now (TREK donor frame,and some parts sadly pirated off my beloved Bandersnatch...sadly,I now have no ridable,complete mountain bike to roll singletrack with ),waiting on the only part I needed to order to build it all up (front mech),should be hauling cargo by Saturday-Tuesday (depending on Fedex)

Pics and spec as soon as I ride it home (it's only a 16.7 mile ride,and I somehow doubt it's long-tail will fit the minivan anyways...besides,what's the point of going car-extremely-lite if I haul it home in the van? )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well done, pics will be good.

Al

Disabled Vet
    Either tomorrow sometime,early next week"...just waiting on a front der. from the UPS guy
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

Disabled Vet
    Asked for and delivered

I got the call today that they'd procured the front mech I needed to finish it off (FINALLY). I had planned to ride it home,but due to the wife's had-to-leave-for-work-schedule I didn't get to...than had planned and eagerly awaited to ride around town with my son today,but a neighbor down the street decided that "that sap won't let our son (who's my son's good friend) get stuck home alone,he'll get him off the bus and feed him,no need to ask either" (sigh),so that didn't happen neither

I DID take a few laps around the block on it,I LOVE it!!! I think I'm gunna need a bit longer/higher stem (seems like that 18" frame fit me perfect back when new in 2000 ),and I'll be looking into upgrading the fork (either rigid or 80mm...just not that 6lb 50mm boat anchor I had to use for the build currently,LOL!),but otherwise,thinking on a pair of Wideloader,and just riding the wheels off it
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    nice bike

Disabled Vet
    Thanks Here's what it looked like Sunday morning when getting it ready for a bike-camping "S24O" ( that the start of which was 100+ miles away...kinda defeated the purpose,LOL,but it's a place I'd wanted to go,so I digress...)

And here's some of what it hauled (not shot Sunday)...

Unfortunately,it did not haul some of my spare clothing (undies and sock changes),some of my food (what would have been dinner,but it did haul snacks),toothbrush......or the camera I left in the wife's car .
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll