Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers

Got a trailer, or plans to build one?...

... post it up here for all to see!

Mine is a 29er Standard BOB, used for trail maintenance.

Should this thread be a "Sticky"
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice idea. I'm always keen to see how others have their trailers set up. Here is mine.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

BOB and 29er?

My BOB doesn't fit a 29" wheel. do the newer BOB's fit ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    When I ordered mine a couple of years ago, I had the choice of a regular length mount or one that would clear 29" wheels. Not sure if you could just order that and retrofit it or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My set up: BOB Ibex behind my Rock Lobster 29er. I bought the Ibex used and tore it down and powder coated it to match the bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-float-tube-002.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-float-tube-001.jpg  

Born to push....
    Nashbar trailer, have had it for over 5 years now, an i haul everything from a weeks worth of food to towing bikes to the LBS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5krnr View Post
    My set up: BOB Ibex behind my Rock Lobster 29er. I bought the Ibex used and tore it down and powder coated it to match the bike...
    Nice Rock Lobster! Lets see some more of that!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mike5krnr View Post
    I find it terribly funny that your bike is fully rigid...and your trailer has suspension.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My BOB Yak from an overnighter back in 2003...

Jerry

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    I find it terribly funny that your bike is fully rigid...and your trailer has suspension.

I like rigid bikes and my dog likes soft tail trailers....Actually, the Ibex trailer was on Craigslist and too nice of a price to pass up....My Rock Lobster, for being a rigid setup.. handles bumps quite nicely. I looked at getting a Reba shock up front but, decided against it. I have FS Carbon Blur for bumpy riding....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-gunner-trailer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How well does the ground clearance work out on the trails?

...a wiggle theres a way
    I use a B.O.B Ipex trailer on my old Specialized Rock Hopper and it served me very well bringing home items from costco, sams club, grocery stores, beer from breweries, tools etc... But now it has a new role and has been added to the Cargo Bike
    Sure makes bringing home those odd shaped items home much easier (i.e. toilet paper, paper towels dog bed etc...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-imag0006.jpg  

mtbr member

How is that mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    I use a B.O.B Ipex trailer on my old Specialized Rock Hopper and it served me very well bringing home items from costco, sams club, grocery stores, beer from breweries, tools etc... But now it has a new role and has been added to the Cargo Bike
    Sure makes bringing home those odd shaped items home much easier (i.e. toilet paper, paper towels dog bed etc...)
    How is that mounted? Did you fabricate something? Can you show a picture? How is the handling with the mount behind the rear axle? Cool set up.

Beastrider
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    How is that mounted? Did you fabricate something? Can you show a picture? How is the handling with the mount behind the rear axle? Cool set up.
    That IS a very nice setup. I would like to know the same things as you too!!!!!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.. Ferris Bueller

...a wiggle theres a way
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    So the trailer is mounted using the standard B.O.B quick release axle. but to get it to attach to the big dummy took some fabrication. What i did was i fabricated my own wide loaders, and long loader using 3/4" medium thickness copper pipe(type L) and the appropriate fittings. I originally wanted to use EMT since i have a conduit bender and its very cheap ($2-$3 dollars a stick), but unfortunately the EMT had an O.D. that wouldn't fit into the big dummy So i used copper.

Handling is predictable and i didn't notice it when i traveled to Costco. Coming home with the dummy loaded, and the trailer in tow the bike tracked well. My commute home from costco has about 600feet of climbing over 7.75 miles so i can't comment on how it handles/feels when loaded coming down hills - but unloaded it tracks fine.

I've taken a bunch of pictures and they are housed and can be viewed
    Here

take a look and let me know if you have any questions comments or want any further explanation

Thanks for the comments guys
    joe

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Trail maintenance tool hauler

Here's our tool carrier which we'll be using on the Paradox Trail in Western Colorado this season. It's a cradle made of 3/4" plywood which slips in easily into an IBEX BOB trailer. Notice I removed the back fender on the trailer. The main limitation is the weight of the tools since the trailer is only rated for 70 lbs. In the photos you'll find 3 McClouds, 2 Polaskis, a carsonite driver with room for carsonite posts and misc. stuff like gloves, stickers and a foldable saw. It's all held down with two bungees. I've ridden up and down some single track with it and it handles just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-dscn0363.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-dscn0365.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-dscn0369.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    When I ordered mine a couple of years ago, I had the choice of a regular length mount or one that would clear 29" wheels. Not sure if you could just order that and retrofit it or not.
    Yes you can get just the front part that would let you use it on a 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prkoski View Post
    Here's our tool carrier which we'll be using on the Paradox Trail in Western Colorado this season. It's a cradle made of 3/4" plywood which slips in easily into an IBEX BOB trailer. Notice I removed the back fender on the trailer. The main limitation is the weight of the tools since the trailer is only rated for 70 lbs. In the photos you'll find 3 McClouds, 2 Polaskis, a carsonite driver with room for carsonite posts and misc. stuff like gloves, stickers and a foldable saw. It's all held down with two bungees. I've ridden up and down some single track with it and it handles just fine.
    Very impressive. I might try a cradle design next up.

mtbr member

Rubbermaid Actionpacker 24 gallons trailer

Simple,very light,efficiency and waterproof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-trek-transport-1.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-trek-transport-5.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-trek-transport.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-trek-transport-2.jpg  

KMRIA

Re: Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers: My modified Surly Bill

Pics of my modified Surly Bill below. It is a pretty crude mod compared to others I have seen on the 'net but I needed it up and running quickly and it works.

The front and rear panels are bolted in place. The side panels slide in place in a channel and are split so you can have high walls or low walls on the side. The side panels are held in place by wingnuts so you can change the configuration w/out tools.

The bottom is heavy gauge aluminum expanded metal sheet held in place using the 6mm bolt fittings on the floor and hose clamps on the frame.

It is pretty heavy, maybe some sort of reinforced plastic would have been better but I didn't put a lot of research/effort in to "R&D".

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-p8223869.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Trailers-p8223871.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Trailers-surlytrailer.jpg

mtbr member

2014 Design Logic"Da-Trailer"

2014 Design Logic Bikes "Da-Trailer" 200 lbs max towed, 15 miles total test run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers-da-trailer.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    All of my trailers are designed to take the hitch and wheels off my DoggyRide trailer. The wheels are okay but the hitch sucks and I will soon build an adapter to run a Surly hitch on my trailers.

I built this because mountain bike tires are expensive and I have had a need to move bikes by bike a lot lately. The trailer is a bit heavier than I like, but very easy to pull. The only steel I had was 14gauge (1.5 millimeter) thick. I am going to add provision for a cooler and a strap box so it is not 100% complete.

Developing Skillz
    ^ +1

Very nice! Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Awesome. I am tearing apart an old double seat child trailer to re-purpose as a cargo/grocery/outreach/ministry...will post pics. Wish I had thought to shoot some in "before" mode.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast