Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike

370K views 642 replies 230 participants last post by  Gingerdamous 
#1 ·
Dang I can't believe I get to start this thread. Seems every forum has one so post 'em up! Here's a couple of my Dummy.

See less See more
#419 ·
Our Yuba

You can see part of the reason we have a cargo bike.
Due to my wife's health issues, she has to wear a medical boot almost full-time and doesn't have the ability to pedal her own bike.
This is how we go out to dinner, go to the microbreweries, church, or just out for an afternoon ride. Since we picked up the Yuba this summer, we've logged over 400 miles. 98% of those with my wife in the co-pilot seat. It helps me stay somewhat fit :)

We are having a blast with this bike. :thumbsup:

#44 ·
Here's a pic of my homemade Long John clone

Howdy, I saw the Gazelles from Denmark, but they wanted 3K for them and I didn't want one 3k worth, so I took a mountain bike frame, a BMX front wheel and fork and made my own. I have a small machine shop and TIG/MIG welder. It's amazing that people walk up to me and ask why I built it. The big black box is a huge PA speaker that I drive with a car stereo and large gel cell. I just have that on there occasionally as an example of what it can carry. That weighs about 75 pounds. I am going for about a 100 pound cargo capacity. I like the load in the fron so you can keep an eye on it. I have also added a 6' kiddy bike flag to the front wheel so people see it.

Attachments

#378 ·
Love Your Bike

This only took 2 1/2 years but my pick up is done!

View attachment 720574

View attachment 720576
I love what you did with your cargo bike....I have been looking around for a frame, but I never heard of a Banjo. Where are those available through? I noticed you had a Big Dummy before. Do you like this frame better? The BD was the best thing that I have come across so far.

Also interested in your opinion of your StokeMonkey and fat tire set up. I live in a hilly area of Southern Caif and I need some torque.

I believe the StokeMonkey is not in production right now. What would be your other options for an electric assist.

Any and all the help would be greatly appreciated.

#467 · (Edited)
Here are a few snaps of my Dummy in its current state:

* 20" BD Frame
* Complete SLX M670-group, apart from the rear derailleur that did not fit very well on a longtail
* M525 Hubs with EX729 Rims
* Chris King headset
* Brooks B17 Seat

Without cargo kit it looks kinda badass!

Running the XT trekking series rear derailleur, since the other Dynasys-compatible derailleurs have a cable barrel that is not compatible with the extended frame of a longtail according to my observations

I love the feel of the new SLX-brakes, changed the hoses to Jagwire hoses, as well as the appropriate fitting kit.

Wheelset built up from M525 Hubs and EX729 rims, cheap and sturdy. Might upgrade the hubs sometime in the future, but so far I am happy with this.

The cockpit, I have also added attachments for an Edge GPS. I think I will change the handlebars for a Jeff Jones H-bar eventually, but until then I use a Moto Ace along with a Kalloy stem I bought used.

The finished product so far, with SKS Chromoplastics fenders, had to do some modifications to the fenders to get them to fit.

I am still waiting for cargo kit, but Xtracycle really struggles to get the new version of the Freeloaders in stock, so at the moment I run the bike without carrying capacity. I might order racks, wideloaders, top deck etc quite soon, but splitting the purchase into two orders will cost quite a bit in transport to Norway.

#472 ·
home made long-john-deere

Well, I fell in love with the idea of a bakfiets as soon as I saw one; but boy they are expensive. I would have loved a bullett or a bakfiets.nl, but without even being able to try one in my area- well that's a tough sell.

About a year ago, I rode a Cetma at a shop in south Philly and was hooked (bicycle revolutions- great place).
Only problem was that at 3k+, my normally super supportive wife, said "No". But she then added- "You can make one"...
So here we are. Tire Wheel Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle tire

Its made from a trash-picked Nishiki that was in great shape, and the front of a Chinese scooter. In between is chromoly and some square mile steel tube. Everything is mig-welded -which- I know is wrong- but I tried to compensate for by overbuilding. A lot of the rest came from the spare parts bin. I did buy a brooks off of craigslist and handlebars from velo orange, and some green pedals. This thing weighs a ton thanks to that scooter front, but it rides fine- it's not too hilly around here; the wheel alone is probably over 10 pounds.

I chose to use a scooter front because heavy duty 20" front ends of kids bikes are scarce, and this is certainly heavy duty. It also has a decent (but not great) drum break and shocks (needs stiffer springs now). Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I expected more growing pains- but it rides great. It seems like every kid in the neighborhood wanting to ride it!

Next I'll be working on fenders, and some side racks to carry long items including my 11' stand up paddleboard.

My two boys sure like riding on it So far I've had up to 5 kids on it, and I'm working up to my hoped for 200lb load limit.
How much does a keg weight? About 180?

#474 ·
Well, I fell in love with the idea of a bakfiets as soon as I saw one; but boy they are expensive. I would have loved a bullett or a bakfiets.nl, but without even being able to try one in my area- well that's a tough sell.

About a year ago, I rode a Cetma at a shop in south Philly and was hooked (bicycle revolutions- great place).
Only problem was that at 3k+, my normally super supportive wife, said "No". But she then added- "You can make one"...
So here we are. View attachment 796051
Its made from a trash-picked Nishiki that was in great shape, and the front of a Chinese scooter. In between is chromoly and some square mile steel tube. Everything is mig-welded -which- I know is wrong- but I tried to compensate for by overbuilding. A lot of the rest came from the spare parts bin. I did buy a brooks off of craigslist and handlebars from velo orange, and some green pedals. This thing weighs a ton thanks to that scooter front, but it rides fine- it's not too hilly around here; the wheel alone is probably over 10 pounds.

I chose to use a scooter front because heavy duty 20" front ends of kids bikes are scarce, and this is certainly heavy duty. It also has a decent (but not great) drum break and shocks (needs stiffer springs now). Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I expected more growing pains- but it rides great. It seems like every kid in the neighborhood wanting to ride it!

Next I'll be working on fenders, and some side racks to carry long items including my 11' stand up paddleboard.

My two boys sure like riding on it So far I've had up to 5 kids on it, and I'm working up to my hoped for 200lb load limit.
How much does a keg weight? About 180?
Way to go building your own cargo bike! :cool:

#548 ·
Design Logic Da Phat frame, Surly Moonlander parts with a Crystalyte 4060 running at 72V and 60A.

The LiMn 72V, 20Ah batteries are hidden in the DryBag panniers and the panniers conceal the rear hub motor.

The 24 FET Lyen 4110 controller is hidden in the DryBag trunk bag. Its mounting plate is an aluminum heat sink.

Weight capacity is 375 lbs., top speed is 30 mph and the range is 25 miles with normal pedaling.
Nice! I've been dreaming of one of these since I saw my first fat bike 5 or 6 years ago. I can't wait to see the Mark 2 when it is finished.:band:

#642 ·
I can't justify the cost of a true cargo bike until I can show that I can justify the cost with use. So my test machine is based on a conventional road bike frame. Cost is a factor. The first iteration was based on a free Schwinn World Sport frame (no wheels or saddle or handlebar. I built my own Porteur Rack used an American made Wald steel rear rack, Set it up as a 1 x 9, 14-34 with friction shifting (the Suntour stem mount changer worked on the 9 Speed very well). The front brake and wheel were replaced with a self laced 700 C Dyad rim and Sturmey Archer 90 mm drum brake-generator wheel (Christmas present) after a loaded descent got a bit out of control with the original side pull rim brake in spite of new Cool Stop pads. Ver. 2 uses a Peugeot Mixte Frame so I can step through to mount the loaded bike. The low cost WalMart trash cans are used as panniers for now. I don't anticipate farm market or grocery runs in pouring rain, but can cover them if needed. A number of things got in the way of finishing the bike so the Farm Market was closed for the season by the time of my shake down ride. I have a Thermos picnic cooler that fits the Porteur rack for cold stuff in the summer and freeze sensitive. Here is a picture of it at the Courthouse with our famous tower tree (Greensburg In):

Sky Plant Building Tree Tower

The Schwinn Ver 1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.