Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    weirdo
    I`ve been helping a friend with this ghetto build, loosely based on the Madsen. The front half is Univega Rover, the limo stretch is 3/4 and 1" EMT, and the rear is a Muddy Fox kids mtb. We got lucky finding that little bike- most 20 inchers I run into are either aluminum or have no derailler hanger (Yeah, I know, we could have used one of those claw thingies). The rack is currently underway. It`s an 8 x 42 oval from 1/2 EMT and we kinda sorta know how we want to mount it, but not yet positive.

We still need to come up with some kind of stand that doesn`t interfere with the chain, and maybe (hopefully) some low platforms like on the Mundo or Xtracycle Wideloaders. I can already see that we stepped on our weenies by putting the BMX bottom bracket up so high. That was my brainfart- I thought it would be a good idea to maintain as much curb clearance as possible. Now that it`s in and we know that it`s in the way of the upper chain it occurs to uss that the LOWER chain is going to limit curb clearance anyway. Duh! Well, it`s fixable at least. We can get enough room by grinding a quarter inch or so off the shell before we cap it.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Big Dummy Towing Service, at your beck and call.

mtbr member

Hunter

My Hunter Cycle Truck

Pajaro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    My Hunter Cycle Truck
    One more shot, minus racks. It's sister bike was ridden to the 2008 Cycle Messenger World Championships in the cargo bike category. I'll have to ask Rick about getting some stripes for it.

Hunter Cycle Truck minus racks
    Last edited by mainlyfats; 06-06-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlyfats View Post
    My Hunter Cycle Truck

Pajaro
    Totally unusable in my environment, but supercool anyway.
    baker

weirdo
    A cargofied mini velo! Are they 406 wheels?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    A cargofied mini velo! Are they 406 wheels?
    Yes. I built them in the fall with Velocity Aerohead rims and Paul track hubs.

mtbr member

Hunter Cargo!

That Hunter cargo bike is awesome! It makes me think of a Cannondale Hooligan turned into a cargo bike. Very cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    That Hunter cargo bike is awesome! It makes me think of a Cannondale Hooligan turned into a cargo bike. Very cool!
    I can totally see the Hooligan - although this bike pre-dates it, so maybe the Hooligan is based on Erik Zo's Hunter (especially given the love that it felt for him in Japan) - but have always seen it as more of an American Moulton/Raleigh 20. Rick did so much work on this frame to make it special, yet its still got an at-home-on-the-shop-floor, work-a-day Schwinn cycle truck-vibe that I love.

Glad you like it. It is different!

weirdo
    Ah, a take-down frame! I didn`t notice the "Ritchey slip" thing at the top of your seat tube, thought it was just a two tone paint job. Then I googled on the model (I`m a fan of little wheels) and up popped Flickr picture of apparently the same bike, but with a little more info. That is yours on Flickr, isn`t it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Ah, a take-down frame! I didn`t notice the "Ritchey slip" thing at the top of your seat tube, thought it was just a two tone paint job. Then I googled on the model (I`m a fan of little wheels) and up popped Flickr picture of apparently the same bike, but with a little more info. That is yours on Flickr, isn`t it?
    Rick originally built 3 of these bikes. One was for a veteran bike courier in San Francisco (Erik), another got immediately turned into a motor-driven cycle and he rode the third around for a few weeks after displaying it at the 2008 North American Handmade Bicycle show. I bought that one from him.

Erik and I both have pictures of our bikes on flickr, and Rick has lots of pictures of subsequent cycle trucks he has made - mostly for the Japanese market - since.

Here it is on Rick's photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntercycles/2589038034/

And mine on arrival here in Winnipeg, Canada: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5622427...57626032405299

Its sister bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/warbin/4900600336/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    sorry
    Last edited by Abendicum; 07-01-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Surly's weight ???

What's that bike weigh, the 1st SURLY Post, in this thread ???

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I don't have the name brand of it on me because I'm away from home right now, but I've found an excellent solution to the kickstand & cargobike problem. Tandem's have a center stand that bolts to the frame right in front of the rear wheel, folds up on one side of the frame & flips down to support the bike in the upright, vertical position. Mine was $30 or $40 and they come kind of long and let you cut them down as needed. My cargo bike (a 26" bakfeit clone) used the full length of it, but was easier and prettier than making one.

mtbr member
    My Yuba Mundo Cargo bike updated with the M-Drive Pedal Assist System
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-yuba-mundo-m-drive-conversion-kit.jpg  

Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    How much range do you get with the M drive?

mtbr member
    On flat terrain full throttle totally no pedaling, 18miles on cheap and heavy 36V 12A SLA batteries. Top speed is 22mph but I am currently geared for climbing. I have been riding in our local trail (Tapia Canyon in Castaic, CA) for the past few days testing and seeing how much it can hold the abuse riding off-road. I did a ride yesterday with my 7 year old son, we did 25miles, batteries started cutting out on the 18th mile, on the way home. So I just had to pedal easy, it's a good thing, going home was a bit downhill. There were some pretty steep climbs that I really needed to apply full power. Going downhill, I didn't use any pedal assist. I let gravity do it's thing. I am surprised how the Yuba handles great despite riding it rigid and with a 65lb kid in the rear deck. Ofcourse I was riding with caution, specially with my precious cargo in the back. Btw, Im still using the stock 14-28 freewheel cogs. An 11-34 freewheel would have been great. Also, Lithium batts, I can probably get 3 to 4 miles out of them, maybe.
    Mid Drive is the future of e-cargo bikes.

Moon Child
    Jul 2011
    The Madsen is interesting.

Looks like a fair alternative to the Surly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Never heard of or even seen one of these bikes before but I think I might get one.

mtbr member
    Nice builds and bikes. Makes me really want a cargo bike.

mtbr member

Still upgrading it...
    You know the poor skills of french people for foreign languages so please be indulgent with me !

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Pic fail

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Very nice cargo bikes. I especially like the ones which are self made.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

My Xtracycle (donor bike: 1994 Cannondale M300) and my wife's Kona Ute

Hauling a watermelon and groceries for a couple of days

Touring with the Xtracycle between Georgetown, CO and Guanella Pass

Hauling firewood for camp

Hauling kid and bike when kid gets tired

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nice pics...

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast