Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike

370K views 642 replies 230 participants last post by  Gingerdamous 
#1 ·
Dang I can't believe I get to start this thread. Seems every forum has one so post 'em up! Here's a couple of my Dummy.

See less See more
#107 ·
PacificNorthwest said:
This is my long distance setup, I did 230 miles in 1 week and boy my ass was sore.
maybe get that backpack off of your back
or at least reduce it.

try some racks and panniers
www.OldManMountain.com racks work on just about any bike

getting the weight off of your back
therefor off of your perineum, would help reducing the pain in the butt

#108 ·

SelfPropelledDevo said:
maybe get that backpack off of your back
or at least reduce it.

try some racks and panniers
www.OldManMountain.com racks work on just about any bike

getting the weight off of your back
therefor off of your perineum, would help reducing the pain in the butt
In my particular situation...the backpack was necessary...it only weighed 10 pounds.....My ass was sore because I rode approximately 230 miles in 1 week. And as the highway 99 turned into a deer trail... I was glad I did not have panniers to impedede my mountain bike ride wich required alot of lifting over barbed wire fences. You should understand other peoples situations before you give them bad advice.

#109 ·
We all extrapolate our situations when we have too little info. This is a forum after all not a night long gabfest at the local watering hole. So stuff gets missed/unsaid. The pack looks big and big often means heavy, so you can see the logic. I don't read a criticism in the advice which for many, would be fine, for a few, excellent. In your case it wasn't so good. But it was well intentioned! :thumbsup:

And it was free. We all know about free advice....:D

Season's Greetings, BTW.

#110 ·
PacificNorthwest said:
In my particular situation...the backpack was necessary...it only weighed 10 pounds.....My ass was sore because I rode approximately 230 miles in 1 week. And as the highway 99 turned into a deer trail... I was glad I did not have panniers to impedede my mountain bike ride wich required alot of lifting over barbed wire fences. You should understand other peoples situations before you give them bad advice.
laffs: dude, sorry, didn't mean to dish out an prescription for Bad Medicine.

I totally understand the backpack deal, panniers, the whole garb.

www.AsanaCycles.com

lates...d

#111 · (Edited)
PacificNorthwest said:
LOL

So, what caused the necessity of the backpack? A bike that was incapable of carrying the load itself? i.e. a regular bicycle, not a cargo bike...

edit: While I did mean to poke fun at your response, I do actually admire the ingenuity of your gear mounting. Did the sleeping pad (whatever is below the top tube) survive it's mounting position? It looks like it might receive some serious chafing from the co-location with the shock spring.

Oh yeah, if you resize your pic to some reasonable width, it won't screw up rendering for everyone else.

#112 ·
More of a touring than cargo application but that line is sort of fuzzy. I also like the innovative use of space, and would like to know if there were wear issues.

How many fences? I am picturing an alternative if you have the bucks: a Big Dumby- Pugsley to substitute fat tires for full suspension. Then hauling that over barbed wire fences. Hmmm. Maybe this is a decent approach, if the FS is indespensible or the valid 'use what you have' school of thought, applies. :cool:

So honing the approach, would a cantilever seat post rack handle 10 pounds? While not excessive, any extra weight on the sit bones is not recommended. Further this is bouncing along and the spinal discs would not enjoy it much either. I wouldn't want to try the backpack with my back, or butt. But the years have taken their toll. :D

#205 ·

today I met Bill with his BD and BOB trailer!
HEY we passed this guy in August 2010 just south of Mendicino, CA. We were biking from the CA/OR border to SF over 9 days. Kind of a hard guy to miss out there on the road with those antlers. I think his set up was well over 100 pounds. I remember one of his plastic containers had written on it "one less RV."

#120 ·
AndrewJL said:
I drove down to big sur last week and I saw that guy climbing a hill out of carmel
I remember thinking, are those antlers and wow that's alot of stuff.
so many people shy away from "hobos", I have a soft spot for life On The Road
as I was raise as such...
this guy is cool

brooks saddle
alfine 8 rear hub

Attachments

#122 ·
baker said:
Very nice setup (although, don't think could pull off the antlers). Seriously, look like a well thought out and designed road tripping machine. And, the saddle looks like it has seen some serious usage (or abusage).
he's a bit of a tripper
and I've seen my share of guys living On The Road
what blew my mind was to see a BD
and of course complete with BB7's

then I was totally mesmerized by the thought of someone actually adding a BOB trailer.

he actually yelled out to me, "hey surly"

his beast compared to mine are very different

and I was amazed to see that he has an XtraCycle center stand.
so there's a degree of money in this rig
and a degree of thinking too, being that he has a welded add on to deal with the BOB

seeing my set up with WideLoaders, etc... had him thinking.

#123 ·
Haven't been on MTBR for a while...cool thread!

Love the BD/antler setup!

Here's my BD (and a few of my X before the BD). I'm using my cargo bike to launch my new business. Using bikes for commercial purposes. Of course it's also my car replacer! :thumbsup:

Attachments

#125 ·
I've been looking at these for a while, and I really like the Big Dummy for carting the kids and doing grocery/farmer's market runs. I recently saw this guy building a cargo bike and selling them on Craigslist locally. Looks like he elevated the deck so the chain doesn't run through it (duh). I don't know...the guy wears crocs so he may not be trustworthy.

https://chico.craigslist.org/bik/2140162838.html

#126 ·
TwoHeadsBrewing said:
I've been looking at these for a while, and I really like the Big Dummy for carting the kids and doing grocery/farmer's market runs. I recently saw this guy building a cargo bike and selling them on Craigslist locally. Looks like he elevated the deck so the chain doesn't run through it (duh). I don't know...the guy wears crocs so he may not be trustworthy.

https://chico.craigslist.org/bik/2140162838.html

Using up every bit of that 14 inch ETT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.