Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    addict

My Klein xtra-cycle

theres some good looking rigs on here!

Here is mine, complete with homemade snow studs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-x-cycle-mtbr.jpg  

Ride On!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    powderhound82,
    How'd make your own studed tires? It crossed my mind this year but we haven't really had too much icy weather here in Portland. I just can't bear to part with $100+ for tires I'll only use 10 days a year.

addict

A few hundred screws and some free time...

Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    powderhound82,
    How'd make your own studed tires? It crossed my mind this year but we haven't really had too much icy weather here in Portland. I just can't bear to part with $100+ for tires I'll only use 10 days a year.
    I had some old Nevegals laying around, I'm sure most tires would work. Drill a small pilot hole through the knob from the outside, then drive a small (depends on thickness of tire)sheet metal screw into the pilot hole from inside. I put a few layers of duct tape and an old dh tube as a liner, no problems so far. I'd recommend gloves for installing the tire on the wheel, these suckas will cut ya!

As you can tell from the pic, I am snowbound. The roads and bike path around here are usually hardpack snow with big sections of ice. These tires are on their second season and have worked like a charm. No trail riding as the snow is too deep, that's what the ski are for.

check this thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-studs_mtbr.jpg  

Ride On!

ballbuster
    Here's my Giant Yukon with racks and bags. I had it all loaded up with a full campsite and 2 days of food to test it out. I pretty much use it for grocery runs and trailer pulling.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    One of my favorite shots. Standard complete build, Profile cranks, Paul thumbies. Now with Rawland bars and a Surly front rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Appalachian Singletrack'n

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    One of my favorite shots.
    Friggin' aww-some!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Dang that's a lot of egg crates Endomaniac. You must keep chickens Looks like the first pic is a green dummy & the 2nd is black. Do you have 2?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My daughter and I loaded up the Dummy (Radar) and headed for the beach last Sunday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-dummy2beach.jpg  

Just Ride!
    Sloan, Where is this beach located? Looks familiar. I also use the Dummy for my beach runs. Load it up with my beach chair, cooler and books and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloan
    My daughter and I loaded up the Dummy (Radar) and headed for the beach last Sunday.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's right at the end of the bike path, north of Santa Monica and south of Malibu.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny
    Dang that's a lot of egg crates Endomaniac. You must keep chickens Looks like the first pic is a green dummy & the 2nd is black. Do you have 2?
    They are the same bike, just different lighting.
    We get all our eggs from a the same local farm, as do several of our neighbors. Every so often we return everyones cartons so the farm can reuse them.
    Reuse is alway better than recycling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    A rather less exotic location.......my BD awaiting a well-earned service in the workshop.
    it has many 10-year old parts from a Kona i built up in the late 90s. it will be getting a new BB, cassette, chain and some nice replacement RaceFace chainrings on that ancient shimano LX crankset. One of only 2 BDs i have seen with V-brakes!
    A mongrel but she works hard!! Apologies for the poor pic, taken on my phone in bad light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-gromzdummy.jpg.jpg  

master blaster
    doing a 24hr overnight trip on sunday out in berrago springs(desert) so i put different tires on. crazy difference riding the tires on the street its scary.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality

Photobucket
    Love it! I was looking at a Soma Juice as an Xtracycle donor frame, with a similar swoopy top tube. That Haro looks fantastic disguised as a working bike!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    I'm 23 and I find those pretty amazing. Is that more of an older person type thing? They're like tanks!
    That's no tank son! This is a tank...

Kasper
    (1 wife - 4 children - 9 bikes ... and counting)

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Love it! I was looking at a Soma Juice as an Xtracycle donor frame, with a similar swoopy top tube. That Haro looks fantastic disguised as a working bike!
    the sloped tt helps alot when i have alot of gear on the back so i can step through and not around, definatly saved me from tipping over in my driveway a few times
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    Sort of oput of place among stretched frames, Long Johns, and the like, hope it's OK to post here.

My classic 'economy' recycle errand/cargo/commuter bike with first load that overflowed panniers Partial load. About 60% of max:

(Cell phone photo.)

The 'step through' dip in the top bar's absence is really felt with a full load in back. Can't tip it and keep balance. High kick helps old man's flexibility, though!

'Free' Taiwan built 4020 62 cm Schwinn World Sport long frame 1984. No saddle, post, stem, or bars. Bent chainwheel, fork.

Was to be winter bike to save classic tourer. New post & bars, rest from parts on hand. Cold set rear from 126 to 130 mm and misaligned fork. Decided I wanted something for errands to save short car trips.

Home built aluminum Porteur rack custom fit to old Thermos cooler. Wald rear rack and economy 'panniers', basket, and old cooler.

Was 2 x 6 (9 different ratios) with home made plastic chain guard. Now 1 x 9 . Wider more even, easier to shift.

Was 27" 1 1/8" now 700C cassette & 35 mm Michelin City tires. Better ride, more stable, more puncture resistant, and more visible (reflective walls.)

POS original crankset had to be cut off. Spare 144 mm BCD Sugino (1972) with worn Black anodized 48/42 chain wheels was converted with NOS Sugino 42 I had, and a beat up 52 of same era detoothed and polished up for a chain guard. Classic Campy pedals with toe clips from parts bin. Brake levers will be changed out to make safer. OTB emasculation unlikely, but possible in this setup. Wheels, 1x9, fenders, front lights all added since top photo (Columbus day/Canadian Thanksgiving Turkey dinner).

Currently, cargo conversion part about half paid for from saved vehicle use since September. About $200 in used and new parts, over half in wheels, tires and 11-34 cassette. Smooth, and a weird sort of fun to ride. Have used 42/34 and 42/11 (loaded heavy, hills & into 20-25 mph wind: air brakes), and (light load, downhill 10-15 from behind: sails). Fully loaded it's not as much of a pig as I thought it would be, load balance is a factor I haven't totally mastered. The single shifter was a really good idea to keep a tight rein. Amazed that the old Shimano took to the 11-34 like they were made for each other.

It will get commuter duty with other rear panniers, IF I get a job close enough until I can afford a bike with discs.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 01-31-2010 at 12:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Here's a pic of my homemade Long John clone

Howdy, I saw the Gazelles from Denmark, but they wanted 3K for them and I didn't want one 3k worth, so I took a mountain bike frame, a BMX front wheel and fork and made my own. I have a small machine shop and TIG/MIG welder. It's amazing that people walk up to me and ask why I built it. The big black box is a huge PA speaker that I drive with a car stereo and large gel cell. I just have that on there occasionally as an example of what it can carry. That weighs about 75 pounds. I am going for about a 100 pound cargo capacity. I like the load in the fron so you can keep an eye on it. I have also added a 6' kiddy bike flag to the front wheel so people see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-cargobike.jpg  

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by fredsbikes@gmail.com
    Howdy, I saw the Gazelles from Denmark, but they wanted 3K for them and I didn't want one 3k worth, so I took a mountain bike frame, a BMX front wheel and fork and made my own. I have a small machine shop and TIG/MIG welder. It's amazing that people walk up to me and ask why I built it. The big black box is a huge PA speaker that I drive with a car stereo and large gel cell. I just have that on there occasionally as an example of what it can carry. That weighs about 75 pounds. I am going for about a 100 pound cargo capacity. I like the load in the fron so you can keep an eye on it. I have also added a 6' kiddy bike flag to the front wheel so people see it.

That is just awesome!

mtbr member
    Get some!!!

funny_bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Baker, how are your paniers mounted? I see in the other picture, it appears like you have added bosses to the yuba racks.

Candlestick Maker
    duplicate, ignore...
    baker

Candlestick Maker
    The Mundo V3 frame has a bunch of water bottle bosses for mounting accessories. I drilled some flat aluminum to fit the bosses and attached with water bottle bolts. Here is a pic:

Getting the holes drilled in the right spots was a bit of a pain, but eventually I got things lined up.
    baker

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    some nice looking bikes here. I have been slowly moving car free using my CrossCheck with front and rear racks, but still need the car for bigger loads. Was thinking about a dummy or a Ute, but the Yuba looks interesting. My only issue is it being Hi-Ten? Is it supper heavy. Also, how about the Project Rwanda bikes? I see some online here in the states? Where do you get one? I have never seen them for sale. i know thats not the point, but I really like them. TIA ~joe

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast