Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice, i like the gold/black. How much air do you run in the hookworms?
    Bend, OR

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Right now I'm running like 45psi. Still playing with that. They are max 65psi.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    First ride with my son since the winter is gone. We rode it once or twice when I bought it before the winter hit, at which point I had to ride it alone because it was too cold for him, and we've been riding our bikes together for about 2 months now, but this is the first he's ridden in a while on the BD. He's suddenly about to outgrow the seat! At least I'll have it for my daughter. I suppose I need to look into getting a padded seat setup for him by the end of the summer.

Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Will post more detailed shots later but here's a nice one of our two custom Surly Big Dummies from a recent tour!

P1236626

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    shakedown, followed by a 3 hour road ride plus trailer

just to hurt myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-gr8gazzute.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So all you guys riding kids behind you, do the kids complain about not being able to see ahead? They can see to the sides, but if they just look ahead they're just staring at your back side. Do they put cheerios in your plumbers crack? :-)

Has anyone put a kid on facing backward?
    Bend, OR

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    shakedown, followed by a 3 hour road ride plus trailer

just to hurt myself.
    I never realized the Ute could sport such obese tires. What size are they, and are those spank rims? Is there plenty of clearance for that P2 fork? Are those Salsa Woodchipper bars?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenanigans View Post
    Will post more detailed shots later but here's a nice one of our two custom Surly Big Dummies from a recent tour!

P1236626
    Beautiful shot and nice bikes! You should put up a separate "trip report" thread about your tour with lots of pictures. Give us a link in this thread if you do.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I never realized the Ute could sport such obese tires. What size are they, and are those spank rims? Is there plenty of clearance for that P2 fork? Are those Salsa Woodchipper bars?
    those're my old faithful 3" gazzaloddis. yup, spank stiffee rims (40mm wide). stock fork.
    bars are easton ec90's. silly carbon stuff. love'em when i'm on the skinny high psi tires.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    So all you guys riding kids behind you, do the kids complain about not being able to see ahead?
    My two kids sing "the wheels on the bike" constantly, ring their bells, and beg me to go faster. They can see everything except straight ahead, and can see FAR more than in the trailer.

mtbr member
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-image.jpg

So the plan was to buy a BD. But I rode this Trek that was up for sale on my local CL last weekend. It should have been too big for me. It wasn't. It was aluminum and I hate aluminum. I didn't. The bags, the bars, the geo, the tires(okay, well actually I am not fond of the 1.5" slicks).
    Researched and read, couldn't get it off my mind. Great price. Works for us right now stock.

So, my new cargo bike enjoy!

mtbr member

nice

Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	794818

So the plan was to buy a BD. But I rode this Trek that was up for sale on my local CL last weekend. It should have been too big for me. It wasn't. It was aluminum and I hate aluminum. I didn't. The bags, the bars, the geo, the tires(okay, well actually I am not fond of the 1.5" slicks).
    Researched and read, couldn't get it off my mind. Great price. Works for us right now stock.

So, my new cargo bike enjoy!
    That is a nice clean looking transport, I used to hate aluminum too, till I got an aluminum bike. Now I'm just like, well whatever, if it breaks then I guess i'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Curious to see just how big a tire can be crammed into a Transport. Nice bag on there too, and I love the front racks on those things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yes, please, biggest tire!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Yes, please, biggest tire!
    Not sure if cereal, but I measured the stays this morning and the closest dimension is 3"(most of the other ones are closer to 3.5 other than the chain stay area at 3") so anything like 2.5" stuff should be just peachy with front fender clearance unless the tire is super tall volume wise, then you might have fender issues stock.
    My stock tires are 1.5" and I am not impressed with ride quality(but then, this does have thinner tires than my road tourer) so once they get worn out, I will be looking for Big Apples or Hookworms and the like for semi slick fatness.

EDIT: well, after thinking about it, I just ordered some Schwalbe Fat Franks in brown to match the seat. I know I won't like the tires it has now, so why wait and hate? So I guess we will see soon enough if 2.35 fit!

As far as aluminum and my initial concerns, my last aluminum bike rode like a wooden roller coaster, bone shaking and very rough in feel and even sound(Voodoo Bantu circa 1997). So I have been a steel rider pretty much ever since. I have read that newer aluminum doesn't have the same ride characteristics anymore so I figure, give it a shot. I bought it used, I can sell it if I hate it and not loose my shirt. I put 10 miles in on it day of purchase and it rode really well. This weekend is my first grocery excursion on it. The dog needs food also, so between those 2 heavy trips, I outta have a pretty good idea how it will work for our needs.
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 05-01-2013 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nice! Congrats- I can't fathom even finding a cargo bike on CL around here lol. For cereal, that's a sweet setup!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    Nice! Congrats- I can't fathom even finding a cargo bike on CL around here lol. For cereal, that's a sweet setup!
    Thanks Jared! I appreciated all the great advice you gave me on the BD(and then I totally disregarded it...lol! Nah bro, I didn't, it just made me really think about what I wanted and what the budget allows right now, smart cash was on the TT) I did think about it for a week from test ride to purchase. I literally waited until the day that the BD for 2013 got released for orders so I knew I could get either and choose with a good conscience.
    So proud of myself!
    Either way, I'm haulin!!! Sweet!
    Last edited by Nakedbabytoes; 05-01-2013 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here are a few snaps of my Dummy in its current state:

* 20" BD Frame
    * Complete SLX M670-group, apart from the rear derailleur that did not fit very well on a longtail
    * M525 Hubs with EX729 Rims
    * Chris King headset
    * Brooks B17 Seat

Without cargo kit it looks kinda badass!

Running the XT trekking series rear derailleur, since the other Dynasys-compatible derailleurs have a cable barrel that is not compatible with the extended frame of a longtail according to my observations

I love the feel of the new SLX-brakes, changed the hoses to Jagwire hoses, as well as the appropriate fitting kit.

Wheelset built up from M525 Hubs and EX729 rims, cheap and sturdy. Might upgrade the hubs sometime in the future, but so far I am happy with this.

The cockpit, I have also added attachments for an Edge GPS. I think I will change the handlebars for a Jeff Jones H-bar eventually, but until then I use a Moto Ace along with a Kalloy stem I bought used.

The finished product so far, with SKS Chromoplastics fenders, had to do some modifications to the fenders to get them to fit.

I am still waiting for cargo kit, but Xtracycle really struggles to get the new version of the Freeloaders in stock, so at the moment I run the bike without carrying capacity. I might order racks, wideloaders, top deck etc quite soon, but splitting the purchase into two orders will cost quite a bit in transport to Norway.
    Last edited by perbl; 05-02-2013 at 05:41 AM.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by perbl View Post
    Here are a few snaps of my Dummy in its current state:

* 20" BD Frame
    * Complete SLX M670-group, apart from the rear derailleur that did not fit very well on a longtail
    * M525 Hubs with EX729 Rims
    * Chris King headset
    * Brooks B17 Seat

Without cargo kit it looks kinda badass!

Running the XT trekking series rear derailleur, since the other Dynasys-compatible derailleurs have a cable barrel that is not compatible with the extended frame of a longtail according to my observations

I love the feel of the new SLX-brakes, changed the hoses to Jagwire hoses, as well as the appropriate fitting kit.

Wheelset built up from M525 Hubs and EX729 rims, cheap and sturdy. Might upgrade the hubs sometime in the future, but so far I am happy with this.

The cockpit, I have also added attachments for an Edge GPS. I think I will change the handlebars for a Jeff Jones H-bar eventually, but until then I use a Moto Ace along with a Kalloy stem I bought used.

The finished product so far, with SKS Chromoplastics fenders, had to do some modifications to the fenders to get them to fit.

I am still waiting for cargo kit, but Xtracycle really struggles to get the new version of the Freeloaders in stock, so at the moment I run the bike without carrying capacity. I might order racks, wideloaders, top deck etc quite soon, but splitting the purchase into two orders will cost quite a bit in transport to Norway.
    Damn! Another one of you guys who has built up a Surly Big Dummy thatís too pretty to ride!!!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Damn! Another one of you guys who has built up a Surly Big Dummy thatís too pretty to ride!!!
    Thanks man!

Yeah, I have to admit, I feel kinda worried when I use this for commuting, I think I want to add at least one more lock when I get Freeloaders on it, so I can lock it down more securely. At least I have access to a parking cellar at work for bikes where you need to have an access card, but still it kinda feels wrong leaving it there without supervision

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    There is a lot of truth to this although its not like a box stock BD is chump change. Mine is covered on my homeowners no matter where it may be stolen from so I just lock it up well when out of sight and hope for the best. I would still be bummed if mine got lifted though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by og1 View Post
    There is a lot of truth to this although its not like a box stock BD is chump change. Mine is covered on my homeowners no matter where it may be stolen from so I just lock it up well when out of sight and hope for the best. I would still be bummed if mine got lifted though.
    Same here, but I still want to keep the bike from being stolen, avoid having to wait for new parts, building a new one etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

home made long-john-deere

Well, I fell in love with the idea of a bakfiets as soon as I saw one; but boy they are expensive. I would have loved a bullett or a bakfiets.nl, but without even being able to try one in my area- well that's a tough sell.

About a year ago, I rode a Cetma at a shop in south Philly and was hooked (bicycle revolutions- great place).
    Only problem was that at 3k+, my normally super supportive wife, said "No". But she then added- "You can make one"...
    So here we are.Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-photo-1.jpg
    Its made from a trash-picked Nishiki that was in great shape, and the front of a Chinese scooter. In between is chromoly and some square mile steel tube. Everything is mig-welded -which- I know is wrong- but I tried to compensate for by overbuilding. A lot of the rest came from the spare parts bin. I did buy a brooks off of craigslist and handlebars from velo orange, and some green pedals. This thing weighs a ton thanks to that scooter front, but it rides fine- it's not too hilly around here; the wheel alone is probably over 10 pounds.

I chose to use a scooter front because heavy duty 20" front ends of kids bikes are scarce, and this is certainly heavy duty. It also has a decent (but not great) drum break and shocks (needs stiffer springs now). Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I expected more growing pains- but it rides great. It seems like every kid in the neighborhood wanting to ride it!

Next I'll be working on fenders, and some side racks to carry long items including my 11' stand up paddleboard.

My two boys sure like riding on it So far I've had up to 5 kids on it, and I'm working up to my hoped for 200lb load limit.
    How much does a keg weight? About 180?

mtbr member
    Awesome! So are those type of bikes tippy to ride loaded? How do you turn, lean or wheel? Gearing wise, how do typical cog sets roll, easy? Tire wear on the back, do you need more tread or less? And last....where do you park such a huge beast?

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by cholula405 View Post
    Well, I fell in love with the idea of a bakfiets as soon as I saw one; but boy they are expensive. I would have loved a bullett or a bakfiets.nl, but without even being able to try one in my area- well that's a tough sell.

About a year ago, I rode a Cetma at a shop in south Philly and was hooked (bicycle revolutions- great place).
    Only problem was that at 3k+, my normally super supportive wife, said "No". But she then added- "You can make one"...
    So here we are.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	5255 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	796051
    Its made from a trash-picked Nishiki that was in great shape, and the front of a Chinese scooter. In between is chromoly and some square mile steel tube. Everything is mig-welded -which- I know is wrong- but I tried to compensate for by overbuilding. A lot of the rest came from the spare parts bin. I did buy a brooks off of craigslist and handlebars from velo orange, and some green pedals. This thing weighs a ton thanks to that scooter front, but it rides fine- it's not too hilly around here; the wheel alone is probably over 10 pounds.

I chose to use a scooter front because heavy duty 20" front ends of kids bikes are scarce, and this is certainly heavy duty. It also has a decent (but not great) drum break and shocks (needs stiffer springs now). Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I expected more growing pains- but it rides great. It seems like every kid in the neighborhood wanting to ride it!

Next I'll be working on fenders, and some side racks to carry long items including my 11' stand up paddleboard.

My two boys sure like riding on it So far I've had up to 5 kids on it, and I'm working up to my hoped for 200lb load limit.
    Way to go building your own cargo bike!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cholula405 View Post

So here we are.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	5255 
Size:	196.0 KB 
ID:	796051

Awesome project, and I love the John Deere colour scheme

But I would not have lasted long on that thing in the hilly area where I live at the moment

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast