www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Very nice MooseCaboose, nice indeed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Love Your Bike

Quote Originally Posted by MooseCaboose View Post
    This only took 2 1/2 years but my pick up is done!

Attachment 720574

Attachment 720576
    I love what you did with your cargo bike....I have been looking around for a frame, but I never heard of a Banjo. Where are those available through? I noticed you had a Big Dummy before. Do you like this frame better? The BD was the best thing that I have come across so far.

Also interested in your opinion of your StokeMonkey and fat tire set up. I live in a hilly area of Southern Caif and I need some torque.

I believe the StokeMonkey is not in production right now. What would be your other options for an electric assist.

Any and all the help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you all very much!

I got the Frame set from Banjo Cycles in Madison WI, he is really busy with other builds so he may say no or it will take awhile. Like 2 years. He does an awesome job though, his craftsmanship and attention to detail is great.

Is it better than the BD, yes and no. Yes, because it rolls over anything and looks BA! No, I loved my BD (I had a freeradical on a kona lava dome frame and got tired of tightening bolts all the time) The BD is very versatile and solid. I used it to haul lumber all the time using a jones H bar.

The main reason I built this bike (The MooseCaboose) is I wanted to put 2 of my most fav bikes together, the Pug and BD.

I fought hard about the Stokemonkey before I bought it. After consulting others that commute with them I realized this motor just makes commuting and cargo hauling more viable here in the hills of northern GA.

I would say wait for the stoke monkey or get a motor for the front wheel. If you get one for the back most the hubs I found are free hub and thats not good if your carrying heavy loads (300lbs a lot) you will be replacing axles alot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseCaboose View Post
    Thank you all very much!

I got the Frame set from Banjo Cycles in Madison WI, he is really busy with other builds so he may say no or it will take awhile. Like 2 years. He does an awesome job though, his craftsmanship and attention to detail is great.

Is it better than the BD, yes and no. Yes, because it rolls over anything and looks BA! No, I loved my BD (I had a freeradical on a kona lava dome frame and got tired of tightening bolts all the time) The BD is very versatile and solid. I used it to haul lumber all the time using a jones H bar.

The main reason I built this bike (The MooseCaboose) is I wanted to put 2 of my most fav bikes together, the Pug and BD.

I fought hard about the Stokemonkey before I bought it. After consulting others that commute with them I realized this motor just makes commuting and cargo hauling more viable here in the hills of northern GA.

I would say wait for the stoke monkey or get a motor for the front wheel. If you get one for the back most the hubs I found are free hub and thats not good if your carrying heavy loads (300lbs a lot) you will be replacing axles alot.
    Moose,

Does Banjo Cycles have a website?..Also where did you but the battery?.....Yes you are right your bike looks BA....lol..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    His site seams to redirect to this Flickr: Banjo Cycles' Photostream
    It is Aaron and my bike.

I sourced the battery 3 years ago from Ebikekit, since then the battery I have is no longer available. I was told the containers need special clearance and hazmat codes have changed so it's hard to get them in the country. I also read the lithium phos battery's are unstable. In a year I guess I will have to find a replacement but the Stokemonky is very versitatile in its connection so I can easily get a battery made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Great bike, very unique. Did you choose big tires for a functional purpose, or just for fun?

What's the red thing on the back? More pics from different angles!
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo View Post
    New frame bags from my buddy Scott Felter at Porcelain Rocket
    My inspriration for a BD. I wanted to quote Devo's bike but the photos don't show up.

One What?
    My Big Dummy:

[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled[/IMG]

Devo
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    My inspriration for a BD. I wanted to quote Devo's bike but the photos don't show up.
    wow, thanks!
    a lot of photos here: Devo and The Dummy Again
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    no worries, here it is...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    wow, saddle up! that thing's a wild animal!

So it looks like you're ready to carry enough stuff for a multi-day expedition without even calling upon the true powers of your bd.

Do you take it camping as it is pictured, without any of the xtracycle accessories that would allow you to pick up more along the way?

Custom bags or stuff you've made work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Oops sorry, the photo is of Devo's bike. Very close to what I want to build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Ready for doing the weekly groceries.
    Next tune up: belt transmission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-cimg0222.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-cimg0225.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-cimg0229.jpg  

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-cimg0231.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yojimbo, that thing's redonkulous! and a half-link chain to boot.

How does the trailer work with heavier (>40lbs) loads? I would imagine it might bob as you pedal and the long arm attached to the basket flexes. My trailer that attaches to the axle on the left side has this problem; terrible for standing and pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yojimbo, very nice lookin bike. Where do you live?

One thing I noticed, it appears that the front basket is supported ONLY from the brake studs... is that correct? If so, it REALLY needs another support from the lower part of the fork out to the front part of the basket, to form a triangle. Otherwise it's begging to bend/break something.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

On the way to bicycle swap meet...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well done hitch! I hope to be able to make one later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    yojimbo, that thing's redonkulous! and a half-link chain to boot.

How does the trailer work with heavier (>40lbs) loads? I would imagine it might bob as you pedal and the long arm attached to the basket flexes. My trailer that attaches to the axle on the left side has this problem; terrible for standing and pedaling.
    The trailer works really well. It works better when attached to the seatpost, but I must attach to the basket when I know I'm going to do a big shopping.

I have a child trailer that also attaches to the axle. Riding with the Travoy is easier than with the child trailer, even when standing.

I fixed that white plastic reinforcement to the basket, so it flexes not so much.
    Last edited by yojimbo; 09-16-2012 at 11:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    Yojimbo, very nice lookin bike. Where do you live?

One thing I noticed, it appears that the front basket is supported ONLY from the brake studs... is that correct? If so, it REALLY needs another support from the lower part of the fork out to the front part of the basket, to form a triangle. Otherwise it's begging to bend/break something.

Hi!

I live in Spain.

The front basket is supported from brake studs and a reinforcement from upper part of the fork (there is no pegs for the rack in the fork). This front rack is 5 kilos max load. I put inside front basket only the lighter goods, like salads, bread and so.

But I'm waiting a new front rack, the Sherpa from Old Man Mountain wich attachs to brake studs and the QR axle.

mtbr member
    Deployable mini-me bike optional

Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ haha, that's about half the reason I ordered a Big Dummy. My 3 year old has a 12" bike and he's not on training wheels anymore but he only likes to ride for, like, 0.8 miles. So we shall go on a longer ride on the BD, deploy the satellite bike, and then when it's time to go home load him up again, that way I get my longer ride and he gets his shorter ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Motorman, what tires are those? They look monstrous. Thats a Mundo, right? Does it have a motor?
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Surly Larry on front, Black Floyd on rear 88/84mm wide in that combo
    No motor, only powered by coffee & cake
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-p1050031.jpg  

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast