Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    mtbr member

my first cargo bike

my new custom long john

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-img_20151025_162233.jpg

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-img_20151027_162423.jpg

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-img_20151025_160231.jpg

i had been in the back of my mind thinking of welding one of these together and then while checking craigslist happened on one for super cheap. the guy had welded it himself mad max style, but the price was right and i believe it will be pretty bullet proof. currently i have it apart being painted. after that i will be replacing the plastic tote with wood sides. super stoked for this.
    what a lovely day

the greatest show on earth:

http://theafterdisaster.com/

KHS 4 season 1000

custom long john

Looks pretty nice. Hopefully, you can get that handlebar higher so you don't smack your kid with the bars.

mtbr member
    yeah the handle bars will be higher for sure should look alot better when I'm done
    what a lovely day

the greatest show on earth:

http://theafterdisaster.com/

KHS 4 season 1000

custom long john

I like the hoop over the front wheel. Much better use of space compared to other cargo bikes such as Cetma, Metrofiet, etc. Would be a great place to strap a basket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kid+cargo
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-img_0784.jpg

I use a bag now instead of the basket as that got in the way of the cables and overhung the front too much.
    Just finished the platform the other night. The rings are for where the bag clips into

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-deck.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Mycargo:

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-ar5ydmkre245ugd80xefdlhgtjk49xzyi25wvcnwljl1.jpg

velonom prana ( yuba mundo v2 frame).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Yuba Mundo Christmas Edition

Fog, mud and no snow yet:
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-dscf5738.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-dscf5744.jpg

mtbr member
    Festivus for the restuvus!

Did I catch a niner+?

Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Home Made Cargo Bike Known as (the GREEN MACHINE)

I am the owner of Prowheelbuilder.com. Our store is only 1.5 miles away from the post office. I grew tired of driving my truck once and sometimes trice daily to deliver packages. This seemed like a waist of time, gas and it was an unnecessary burden on our environment. So I decided to build a trailer and then a cargo bike. I have added a Bafang pedal assist motor kit and ran a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub. Now I use this not only as cargo bike but also as a car substitute and it works great.
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151225_152423.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151125_160027.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151220_144904.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151223_171318.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151223_171424.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151223_172010.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151227_164942.jpg
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-1888762_1032310983494354_3394355590481015236_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nice build Richard! That flip up rear box is cool too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Green Machine

I am reposting this since I apparently deleted my original post when I responded to a comment (still new to the whole forums thing):
    I built this cargo bike to haul packages to the post office which is only 1.5 miles away from our shop. However it has now become a car substitute and is used to grab groceries, commute to and from work and run general errands. With the addition of the Bafang 1000w pedal assist motor I am able to wear what ever I want and not kill myself with very heavy loads. Here are some stats on both the trailer and cargo bike:
    1. Unassisted speed on flat ground 32mph
    2. Bike weight 68 lbs
    3. Rider weight 205 lbs
    4. Max weight carried cargo bike 400 lbs
    5. Max weight carried trailer 600 lbs
    6. Max distance covered on a single charge at mid level assist rolling terrain 20 mi
    7. Max distance covered on a single charge at max level assist rolling terrain 10 mi
    8. Drive train is Shimano Alfine 11 speed
    9. Budget: The main frame was purchased used $100.00 which I re utilized the main triangle and the drop outs, fork was a Surly $100.00, the seamed steel I had from a former project but I would say was worth about $125.00 the seat post / saddle / brakes / hubs / bars / stems / head set / grips and rubber $875.00 or so, the Bafang motor kit with crank / BB / and battery was $1280.00, powder coating $190.00 and then a miscellaneous budget of $200. This brings it to an estimated total of $2870.00

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-1888762_1032310983494354_3394355590481015236_n.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151227_164942.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151223_172010.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151223_171424.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151223_171318.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151220_144904.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151225_152423.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-20151125_160027.jpg

Response to the cargo box comment: Thank you. It has proved very useful. My next plan is to have some custom nylon bags made up to hang inside the out riggers frame below the surface of the bed (sort of time panniers). These will accommodate, items such as groceries, envelopes and other non strapable items. Currently I have to carry a plastic tub strapped down to carry these items which is a pain and requires foresight.
    Last edited by prowheelbuilder; 01-21-2016 at 07:44 AM. Reason: I apparently deleted my former post in responding to a comment

mtbr member
    May 2007

Yuba Mundo kid and grocery electric assist frame up project

I would appreciate some ideas on refabricating the monkey bars at the saddle end to eliminate the issues if someone shorter needs to ride. Also looking at a aluminum battery box to replace the temporary cloth bag. Thanks
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-photo2.jpg

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-photo.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-photo4.jpgPost Pics of your Cargo Bike-img_0915.jpg

Always Learning

Hauling tools for trail maintenance solution, help, ideas....

I made this post over on the Trail Building forum as I am looking for a solution to haul some tools for trail maintenance. Since this thread might have some experienced ideas on what might work for me, I thought I would post it here as well in hopes I get some feedback, ideas, and guidance.

Tool carrier beta

Some great ideas in this thread.

I need to haul a weed whacker, chainsaw, 1 or 2 gallon jug of gas, hedge clippers, leaf blower, throughout a trail system. Not all at once, but at least two or three of those items at a time. Sure it's nice to hike in and out each section of 7 mile loop from various points, but having a bike that could haul what I need would be easier.

The good news is, the trail system is in a State Park where I volunteer to do trail work and the majority of it is doubletrack, so I don't need to worry about navigating through tight and twisty. It's more about convenience of hauling multiple tools throughout to be more productive on a trail work day as opposed to hiking in and out with one or two tools at a time.

My options - or at least what I am thinking about at the moment:

Purchase a dedicated Surly Big Dummy and design a box to attach to haul what I need.

Convert an old Cannondale MTB 800 tandem (which currently is hanging in the garage not being used) into a long haul trucker.

Mine is green (not yellow like the one shown in the picture) and fits me up front as the front end is size XL (rear is size small) and set up with a rigid fork, typical mountain bike bars, and a triple chainring with an 11-34 rear cassette so I would be able to spin up the hills hauling gear.

I did locate a company called LOKO who appear to have a product in development, but sounds like you have to pre-order and they only produce once they have 1000+ pre-orders. I've tried to contact them several times to get information on the rack to convert a tandem into a cargo bike, but have never received any reply. Sounds like this option may not exist.

However, I could probably find somebody in my local area to make something for me - or I could DIY some sort of a box/rack/mount to haul what I need on the back of the tandem conversion.

I don't think the BOB trailer will work with what I want to haul, but was curious for any suggestions and help in figuring out a solution to be able to haul something as long as a weed whacker, jug of fuel, and another tool or two all on the same trip.

I do have a rooftop tandem tray to haul the bike to and from the State Park - so at least that part of the issue of getting the work bike to and from the location is solved.

TIA!

One What?
    Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-8033222263_8a58d87c2d_z.jpgName:  7910014964_2e2020fcfa_z.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  108.8 KB

I have owned two Xtracycles and a Big Dummy. I've hauled all the items you've mentioned and then some. The Xtracycle bags will easily carry everything you're trying to carry. The only issue was the weed eater was a little long. I had found two of these on the curb that someone was throwing out and snatched them up so I didn't really mess around with setting up a custom mount for them. But it would be easy enough to do with some lumber and p-clamps.

Maybe it would be worth selling the tandem to fund your Big Dummy. I'm not sure where Xtracycle is with their Leap production these days but it looked a little beefier than the old Freerad, though I never really had an issue with the rear swaying around like a lot of people did. Also it can be transported in the tandem roof rack.

I vote for Xtracycle any day. They make a good product that works when you need it.
    Last edited by FastFix; 05-23-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Add pics

mtbr member
    May 2007

bob trailer

I have a yuba mundo I built up but wouldn't want gas , oil and bar oil ect messing up my grocery kid getter. I prefer my mountain bike /bob trailer combo with a piece of card board on the bottom of the bob. The trailer sides make it easy to attach and tie down tools/jerry-cans, ect..... just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by FastFix View Post
    I have owned two Xtracycles and a Big Dummy. I've hauled all the items you've mentioned and then some. The Xtracycle bags will easily carry everything you're trying to carry. The only issue was the weed eater was a little long. I had found two of these on the curb that someone was throwing out and snatched them up so I didn't really mess around with setting up a custom mount for them. But it would be easy enough to do with some lumber and p-clamps.

Maybe it would be worth selling the tandem to fund your Big Dummy. I'm not sure where Xtracycle is with their Leap production these days but it looked a little beefier than the old Freerad, though I never really had an issue with the rear swaying around like a lot of people did. Also it can be transported in the tandem roof rack.

I vote for Xtracycle any day. They make a good product that works when you need it.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by beoutside View Post
    I have a yuba mundo I built up but wouldn't want gas , oil and bar oil ect messing up my grocery kid getter. I prefer my mountain bike /bob trailer combo with a piece of card board on the bottom of the bob. The trailer sides make it easy to attach and tie down tools/jerry-cans, ect..... just my two cents
    The Bob looks too small to haul the longer tools. I guess I could fabricate something to mount the tools to or in the Bob. All I have to pull it is a singlespeed as I don't want to use my race bikes. That might be a grunt on the hills.

The tandem I have available to possibly convert - will not be used for any family cycling again - hence the conversion. Loops like the LEAP would set me back $999 or more, but I don't have a bike to convert for the LEAP.

Looks like a Surly Big Dummy would be over $2K as well.

That's why I thought it might be worth it to try and fabricate some sort of tandem bike pick-up type of rack and box bed to haul the tools.

mtbr member
    May 2007

bontrager cargo panniers

Sounds like you have looked into just hanging things off the tandem, I just picked a pair of bontrager cargo bags up for 60 dollars delivered and they are huge ! I think they are on close out since Trek isn't making their cargo bike anymore? On my Yuba I added some runner boards but there was already framing to lay wood on. This allowed the panniers to both sit and hang when loaded down.

Name:  bontrager-bag-bontrager-transport-cargo-16738-1-11-1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  8.9 KB

I can load four very full grocery bags easily into these babies and love the fact that they buckle flat when not in use. The clips on the top are a little small for my tubing but are bolted through and could be modified/ replaced easily.

A quick search on converting tandems to a cargo... maybe you have already seen this.

Tandem Bike Turned into Cargo Bike - BikeHacks

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The Bob looks too small to haul the longer tools. I guess I could fabricate something to mount the tools to or in the Bob. All I have to pull it is a singlespeed as I don't want to use my race bikes. That might be a grunt on the hills.

The tandem I have available to possibly convert - will not be used for any family cycling again - hence the conversion. Loops like the LEAP would set me back $999 or more, but I don't have a bike to convert for the LEAP.

Looks like a Surly Big Dummy would be over $2K as well.

That's why I thought it might be worth it to try and fabricate some sort of tandem bike pick-up type of rack and box bed to haul the tools.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by beoutside View Post
    Sounds like you have looked into just hanging things off the tandem, I just picked a pair of bontrager cargo bags up for 60 dollars delivered and they are huge ! I think they are on close out since Trek isn't making their cargo bike anymore? On my Yuba I added some runner boards but there was already framing to lay wood on. This allowed the panniers to both sit and hang when loaded down.

Name:  bontrager-bag-bontrager-transport-cargo-16738-1-11-1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  8.9 KB

I can load four very full grocery bags easily into these babies and love the fact that they buckle flat when not in use. The clips on the top are a little small for my tubing but are bolted through and could be modified/ replaced easily.

A quick search on converting tandems to a cargo... maybe you have already seen this.

Tandem Bike Turned into Cargo Bike - BikeHacks
    Good suggestions. I am going to investigate a bit more what i could possibly do. I do have a custom made pull behind kid's recumbent bike (attaches to my seatpost) that is low to the ground, long and might be a better option to haul the tools as it can attach to any bike. I'll post up a picture later today. Not sure panniers would be good for hauling these...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

My Bamboo Cargo Bike

I built it last winter and it works like a charm

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-29383734745_93f8e238de_k.jpg

more images: https://www.flickr.com/gp/143936141@N04/rbZFUG

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Big Bamboo

Smokin' cargo bike!

Quote Originally Posted by rammsteini View Post
    I built it last winter and it works like a charm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29383734745_93f8e238de_k.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	1091507

more images: https://www.flickr.com/gp/143936141@N04/rbZFUG

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    my bullitt

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-2016-08-01-14.50.08.jpg

Post Pics of your Cargo Bike-13962478_10206940408485330_1300495577665010934_n.jpg
    surly troll-rigid ss
    surly cross check-light touring bike
    surly ogre-heavy duty touring bike
    bullitt - cargobike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prowheelbuilder View Post
    I am reposting this since I apparently deleted my original post when I responded to a comment (still new to the whole forums thing):
    I built this cargo bike to haul packages to the post office which is only 1.5 miles away from our shop. However it has now become a car substitute and is used to grab groceries, commute to and from work and run general errands. With the addition of the Bafang 1000w pedal assist motor I am able to wear what ever I want and not kill myself with very heavy loads. Here are some stats on both the trailer and cargo bike:
    1. Unassisted speed on flat ground 32mph
    2. Bike weight 68 lbs
    3. Rider weight 205 lbs
    4. Max weight carried cargo bike 400 lbs
    5. Max weight carried trailer 600 lbs
    6. Max distance covered on a single charge at mid level assist rolling terrain 20 mi
    7. Max distance covered on a single charge at max level assist rolling terrain 10 mi
    8. Drive train is Shimano Alfine 11 speed
    9. Budget: The main frame was purchased used $100.00 which I re utilized the main triangle and the drop outs, fork was a Surly $100.00, the seamed steel I had from a former project but I would say was worth about $125.00 the seat post / saddle / brakes / hubs / bars / stems / head set / grips and rubber $875.00 or so, the Bafang motor kit with crank / BB / and battery was $1280.00, powder coating $190.00 and then a miscellaneous budget of $200. This brings it to an estimated total of $2870.00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1888762_1032310983494354_3394355590481015236_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	1044372

Response to the cargo box comment: Thank you. It has proved very useful. My next plan is to have some custom nylon bags made up to hang inside the out riggers frame below the surface of the bed (sort of time panniers). These will accommodate, items such as groceries, envelopes and other non strapable items. Currently I have to carry a plastic tub strapped down to carry these items which is a pain and requires foresight.
    That is a great design. You should put it into production. I would have strongly considered something like it over the big dummy had it been an option.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112