Beastrider

Platform ideas wanted....

I am looking to add some sort of a wood or wood looking platform to my upper racks. I have considered a skateboard deck ad the thickness is about what I am looking for. However, the width is just a little wider than needed. In the photo below is where I am wanting to add it along with the measurements. Any ideas as to what type of medium would work best? I am open to suggestions.....THANKS!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I would use oak my self it's heavy but it will last a long time if you treat it.
    Last edited by kdc1956; 11-21-2011 at 05:50 PM.

mtbr member

Skate board for sure

I would go with the skate board. If you choose some other material you might have to trim it down, so why not trim the skate board? I was looking at walmart and found boards for $10! I actually considered them for side loader decks on my Mundo. Skate board decks are tough and the grip tape really does grip, or it grinds your stuff I guess. anyway skate boards are a really good choice I think. If you have some cash you could get a long board deck.

Beastrider

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Desert Walker View Post
    I would go with the skate board. If you choose some other material you might have to trim it down, so why not trim the skate board? I was looking at walmart and found boards for $10! I actually considered them for side loader decks on my Mundo. Skate board decks are tough and the grip tape really does grip, or it grinds your stuff I guess. anyway skate boards are a really good choice I think. If you have some cash you could get a long board deck.
    Have been looking for a skateboard deck for the rear. Just haven't found the right one yet. Still a little stumped about the front though. Sure wish I still had my woodworking equipment then it wouldn't be such a friggin' headache!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It's not wood or wood looking, but, I'd probably use corrugated plastic. You could cut two identical layers and it would be very stout, impermeable to the elements, stain resistant, and require no maintenance. It's what I use for the floor of my Bikes at Work trailer. I picked up a 4'x4' square of it at Lowe's for ~$10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Hopper View Post
    It's not wood or wood looking, but, I'd probably use corrugated plastic. You could cut two identical layers and it would be very stout, impermeable to the elements, stain resistant, and require no maintenance. It's what I use for the floor of my Bikes at Work trailer. I picked up a 4'x4' square of it at Lowe's for ~$10.
    Yeah, that would be nice and light, and that stuff is pretty tuff. I dug a big sign out of the trash that was made of that stuff and cut it up to make skirts for the rear wheel of my Yuba. It worked great, but I took them off since I just carry Rubbermaid totes all the time. Of course with a name like "The Beast" you are going to want to go with a really heavy and bulky material, so I would probably trim down some 2x10s. You could also use doubled up drywall inside a thick custom fiberglass shell. I think it would also be cool to weave something out of wicker. If you use 5/8 inch thick steel plate I would really like to see a picture. Long live "the Beast!"