mtbr member
    Apr 2011

New Xtracycle Flightdeck and Yepp Maxi

Ok, so I was looking on the Xtracycle blog and the new 2014 Flightdecks negates the need for the Yepp seat adapter. They have a pre-cut mounting points for the Yepp Maxi's.

My question is, I happen to have a 2013. Now, I am not in any way interested in causing harm to my kids. But from the looks of it, it's just a square hole cut out. If that's all it is, I have the equipment to cut out a square hole. Does anyone have a 2014 Flightdeck that they can post pictures of? Especially the underside? I would like to compare the two. If you can post the dimensions of the hole, that would be great as well.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger, and will either get a Yepp seat and retrofit, or buy the new Flightdeck as well. I like the idea of the seat sitting lower than with that adapter piece.

Here is the blog:
    Blog - FlightDeck Two | Xtracycle, Inc.

Yepp Maxi on Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Yepp Maxi Easyfit, Silver: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Tagging for subscription...

I had a welder friend of mine help modify a Tubus Cargo rack with an EasyFit window; it works just fine. I think that the FlightDeck hole might be a little more complicated, though... the fore and aft lips need to be about 10mm thick to fit into the grooves on the Yepp. If you have a router and can thin out the material at the front and back of the hole, I suspect you could manage something...

Personally, I like the handles on the rear of my current deck. If the new one came solid at the front (for sitting), and with the handle at the back, that would be perfect. I still need to get around to making a padded seat for the front position on my rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wonder why they did away with the handles. I use mine all the time.

Sounds like the retrofit is at least a possibility. Hope someone is able to post exact measurements. Maybe I'll email Xtracycle to see if they will divulge such info. I won't mention the retrofitting part, as I'm sure that gets into liability issues on their part.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Hope someone is able to post exact measurements
    I want to say the window was 82mm x 33mm interior dimension, but I'll have to head out with my calipers to double check. I'm sure there is a little bit of leeway there. What you really need is width to fit the block on your Yepp seat, and length to go diagnonally from the front rest to the bottom corner so you can rotate the seat in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well, they (Xtracycle) didn't have the dimensions. They said approximately 11mm thickness. evandy, if you're able to get me exact dimensions for the hole itself, I would appreciate it. Also, I am assuming the Yepp seat linked above from Amazon is the same as the one they sell on the Xtracycle website. I have some Amazon bucks I need to spend.

EDIT: They got back to me. For those curious, the dimensions are:

65mm (W) x 95mm (L)
    12.7mm thick

I actually ended up getting a new Xtracycle kit for an old MTB, so now I'll have two long bikes.
    Last edited by phsycle; 02-18-2014 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Interesting. My flightdeck adapter (and my welded rack) both measure 88mm x 62mm. Sorry for the late reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hmm, now I'm confused. Maybe I'll have the hole cut with your dimensions since they're smaller. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Having seen the seat get mounted and unmounted several times, I will note that there is definitely some play available in the fore/aft dimension... the 7mm is probably reasonable, but you should be able to get away with less. The left-right stability comes partly from the grippy rubber at the fore/aft mountpoints, but the bars do probably have an impact. The two measurements are pretty close there (3mm). This may just be an issue of manufacturing tolerances.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    We just purchased the yepp easyfit adapter for $30 and mounted it up. I have a time lapse video we need to post with additional details.

If you need specific pics or measurements, let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Lots of options for mounting these seats, this is how we did it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the video. I've thought about the adapter, but I like the lower position without the adapter better, granted it's just a couple of inches. I think the cut out method will work fine. I am going to order that seat on Amazon and try it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Thanks for the video. I've thought about the adapter, but I like the lower position without the adapter better, granted it's just a couple of inches. I think the cut out method will work fine. I am going to order that seat on Amazon and try it out.
    I agree, don't think you will have any problem with that setup. Seat is really cool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Did you ever get your flightdeck cut? I've thought about doing mine and ditching the adapter... wondering how it went!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey, I haven't been able to yet. Life is a bit hectic right now, but it's getting much warmer, so I do need to get it done. I'll post up when I get around to it.